2022-2023 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we gave an update and we are on the waitlist would it change our ranking? I’m thinking probably not. If that’s the case what’s the point in sending a letter of intent?
I read somewhere that it serves as a sort of check next to your name, if two candidates have the same ranking (same score), it might help in that case

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious - did everyone who interviewed and got a hold email get put on the alternate list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Need some advice. VCU is my top choice but I initially sent them a LOInterest bc they were #2 on my list until my top choice rejected me a few months back 😞.

How weird is it to say they are my top choice in a second letter (LOIntent). Ik I might be overthinking it. The letter would be hella short and straightforward. Don’t got much to update them on besides maybe grades?

Also since my initial update letter/LOInterest I’ve had some slight changes. Turns out my best friends and some family are moving to richmond for various reasons so now i have a support system like 5-20 min out instead of 90 min away. I heavily emphasized my support system in the initial letter and during interviews so it’s all on file how important it is for me. Any advice on how to approach this?

Need some advice. VCU is my top choice but I initially sent them a LOInterest bc they were #2 on my list until my top choice rejected me a few months back 😞.

How weird is it to say they are my top choice in a second letter (LOIntent). Ik I might be overthinking it. The letter would be hella short and straightforward. Don’t got much to update them on besides maybe grades?

Also since my initial update letter/LOInterest I’ve had some slight changes. Turns out my best friends and some family are moving to richmond for various reasons so now i have a support system like 5-20 min out instead of 90 min away. I heavily emphasized my support system in the initial letter and during interviews so it’s all on file how important it is for me. Any advice on how to approach this?
I'm not in any place of authority to give you advice seeing as I'm in the same waitlist boat as you. But, I also don't think it will hurt you by any means. We can't control whether they will read between the lines of what was your top choice and what was your second choice, why it changed, etc. My guess is that they wouldn't notice or wouldn't care or wouldn't matter on the waitlist ranking, with the latter being most likely given VCU's seemingly systematic methodology. I will comment that the change in family support may mean something but usually those tend to hold meaning only if it's a change in residency status or existing familial ties. Having close friends nearby, as amazing as that is, may not be a meaningful update from their perspective (?). If I were you, I would keep it short in a bullet point style letter to make it clear. Stick to mentions of family more so than friends, just because I think that holds more meaning to the adcoms. Mention the updated classes/grades. Overall, I can't imagine it hurting you or benefitting you in any significant manner so I wouldn't overthink it too much :)

• Love
When you log into med admit, there is a tab titled Document Upload, and from there you can select Reaffirmation of Interest!
You guys are talking about letters of interest not intent right? Do letters of interest even mean anything, especially post decision ?

When you log into med admit, there is a tab titled Document Upload, and from there you can select Reaffirmation of Interest!
My concern is that I want to send a letter of intent, not interest. And that admissions committee might not see it if I upload it there. At least if I send it to Dr. WHC I know she will receive it as she responded to my update letter email in the past

Should we expect waitlist movement to begin on April 1 or later?

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Should we expect waitlist movement to begin on April 1 or later?
Not until April 15th (when applicants need to narrow down to 3 acceptances) or until April 30th (when applicants need to choose one school)

Not until April 15th (when applicants need to narrow down to 3 acceptances) or until April 30th (when applicants need to choose one school)

Based on previous yrs and the way VCU just takes people off based on rankings, seems to me that it’s a fair game from April 1 and onward with more frequent offers picking up leading up to April 30th.

Reactions: 2 users
My concern is that I want to send a letter of intent, not interest. And that admissions committee might not see it if I upload it there. At least if I send it to Dr. WHC I know she will receive it as she responded to my update letter email in the past
I just ended up doing both! :oops: Do you remember about how long it took her to respond in the past? Thanks!

I just ended up doing both! :oops: Do you remember about how long it took her to respond in the past? Thanks!
I emailed my LOI (Intent) to Dr. WHC on 3/29 and got an email confirmation from her that same evening around 9pm. I also uploaded to the portal.

I emailed Dr. WHC awhile back asking about update letters, and she never responded. Now I feel VERY awkward emailing her an update letter lol.

Oof yeah I emailed her my LOI this past week and I did not get a response from her
You can feel free to send updates or LOI to the medadmit email, which is what I did (LOinterest). I believe this has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Also, the admissions team wrote in the post-interview hold email: "Inquiries and updates may be sent via email to [email protected]." They responded to me the next business day that it was added to my file. Now, do I believe this will have any impact on my decision? Honestly, not really because it's a ranked waitlist, but I did it more for my mental health. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You can feel free to send updates or LOI to the medadmit email, which is what I did. I believe this has been mentioned earlier in the thread. Also, the admissions team wrote in the post-interview hold email: "Inquiries and updates may be sent via email to [email protected]." They responded to me the next business day that it was added to my file. Now, do I believe this will have any impact on my decision? Honestly, not really because it's a ranked waitlist, but I did it more for my mental health. Hope this helps.
you sent letter of interest or intent?

Best of luck to everyone this month with WL movement, hope to see many of you in July~

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Where/Who do we direct our request to have our application reviewed? It mentioned in the waitlist offer email that they recommend that we reach out to ask how to improve but I did not see who/what to ask that. Is it Dr. WHC?

Also if I interviewed in March and sent an updated resume to Dr. WHC as she mentioned during the interview and included how I really want to attend VCU does that count as a letter of intent or anything?

Hi all,
I sent out an update/LOI via email to Dr.WHC and uploaded it to the portale but never gotten a confirmation! Should i worry about this?

Hi all,
I sent out an update/LOI via email to Dr.WHC and uploaded it to the portale but never gotten a confirmation! Should i worry about this?
Wouldn't worry about it cause you did all you could at this point. Just let us suffer together in the waitlist purgatory. Kidding not kidding

• Haha
Where/Who do we direct our request to have our application reviewed? It mentioned in the waitlist offer email that they recommend that we reach out to ask how to improve but I did not see who/what to ask that. Is it Dr. WHC?

Also if I interviewed in March and sent an updated resume to Dr. WHC as she mentioned during the interview and included how I really want to attend VCU does that count as a letter of intent or anything?
Just email there admissions office. I just did it today and it was really helpful

I was told Dr WC is often in clinic, so the best email to submit updates would be the medadmit email. I called the office a few hours later to ensure it went through/was added to my application.

Just email there admissions office. I just did it today and it was really helpful
Thanks! I did that and got the response that I have to wait until after July 1st since I am on the WL. Now I’m confused because their waitlist email said they highly encourage to reapply asap but only after having your application reviewed.

VCU is near home, and my sibling is also joining there for undergrad. Do you think updating these in LOI is OK?

Last edited:
Has anyone received any communication regarding financial aid packages/when they’re coming out?

Haven’t been able to activate my eID, think we’re missing an ID number necessary to activate it to check…
Call VCU’s IT dept. They helped me get my ID needed for the eID

Just for some hope: I got off the waitlist on May 23rd last year. Good luck

Reactions: 3 users
I’m waitlisted at 4 universities and accepted to none… what do my chances look like? Is it time to just apply to post bacc and another cycle?

I’m waitlisted at 4 universities and accepted to none… what do my chances look like? Is it time to just apply to post bacc and another cycle?
Exact numbers and situation. More studies or continued research and get more clinical side experience.

I’m no expert but am inclined to say that 3-4 waitlists are not a bad place to be. The odds are decent depending on school list. It would be more worrisome if you only have 1-2 waitlists without As. Just my gut feeling.

Does anyone know when their PTE deadline is? I saw on MSAR it says July 1- but have heard May 1 from others. I CTE’d here but would like to stay on another waitlist as long as possible.

Does anyone know when their PTE deadline is? I saw on MSAR it says July 1- but have heard May 1 from others. I CTE’d here but would like to stay on another waitlist as long as possible.
PTE is what you want not CTE! CTE means that you will withdraw from WLs and are committing. You have to narrow down to one acceptance may 1st-- whether that is PTE or CTE (PTE you can stay on WLs)

I think you are confusing CTE and PTE. You can only hold on to other waitlists when you PTE after May 1. You have the option to CTE from May 1 but if you do you must drop other waitlists bc you are ‘committing’ to one school not just ‘planning’ to do so. Most CTE deadlines are either end of June or early July. Someone else can comment on the specific date.

I think you are confusing CTE and PTE. You can only hold on to other waitlists when you PTE after May 1. You have the option to CTE from May 1 but if you do you must drop other waitlists bc you are ‘committing’ to one school not just ‘planning’ to do so. Most CTE deadlines are either end of June or early July. Someone else can comment on the specific date.
Okay thank you I think I did have the two mixed up which is what confused me! I must’ve PTE’d and the CTE deadline is July 1 I believe