2015-2016 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2015-2016 prompts:

1. (optional) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

2. (optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

Good luck!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Courtesy of Ms. Nutella:

Secondary Application (there is no pre-screen)
Secondary Application and Status Page
This is from the previous cycle (it might be different this year):
1. (optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)
2. (optional) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)
3. If you have already completed your education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

Important Dates (2014-2015)
Secondary application opened: June 19th, 2014 (may be opened up and filled out, but not submitted)
First secondary invitation: June 29th, 2014
First interview invitation (MSTP): August 29th, 2014
First interview invitation (MD): September 10th, 2014
*Note: during the 2014-15 cycle, sometimes IIs would be extended but no email alert would be sent. Be sure to occasionally check your portal, just in case*
First acceptance (MD): November 20th, 2014 via phone call

Curriculum
Traditional 2-year preclinical; P/F year 1, Honors/ High Pass/Pass/Fail year 2.

Update Letter Policy
WashU is receptive to pre-interview updates. They may be sent to: [email protected]

Notes
  • The “Dean’s Certificate” is only required before issuing an acceptance. It is not required for being marked as complete or for an interview invitation.
  • Free interview accommodation is provided at Olin Hall
image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a rising second year at WashU, and I'm always happy to answer questions about the school here or via PM. Good luck all.

Also, enjoy our class show video "First Year Funk".

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone else get a letter from wash u this week inviting them to apply? is this significant or was this sent to everyone?

did anyone else get a letter from wash u this week inviting them to apply? is this significant or was this sent to everyone?
I've received previous correspondence from them. I imagine it's related to your MCAT score. They're pretty heavy on the recruitment and from what I remember it was similar in regard to recruitment of high school juniors/seniors with top SAT scores.

I've received previous correspondence from them. I imagine it's related to your MCAT score. They're pretty heavy on the recruitment and from what I remember it was similar in regard to recruitment of high school juniors/seniors with top SAT scores.
yes it actually was MCAT related. and i suspected the same as you since I know they place a lot of emphasis on scores. although I'm not sure how they got scores. Anyways good luck to everyone next tuesday.

yes it actually was MCAT related. and i suspected the same as you since I know they place a lot of emphasis on scores. although I'm not sure how they got scores. Anyways good luck to everyone next tuesday.
I just got the booklet in the mail today and was so excited because WashU is one of the schools I'm most interested in... And then I realized it was probably sent to a whole bunch of people :(

Thought on whether the optional essays are actually optional? I was looking over last year's prompts and can't think of anything interesting to write about for the failure one. I could probably come up with something lame, but is writing something that doesn't really add anything really better than leaving it blank?

I'm a rising second year at WashU, and I'm always happy to answer questions about the school here or via PM. Good luck all.

Also, enjoy our class show video "First Year Funk".

this video, although well produced, was so bad it makes me want to withdraw

was anyone else expecting the secondary to open today? or just me...

Reactions: 1 user
Any current students who can speak to whether all three secondary essays are read by one individual? I don't want to leave information out if they are not, but I don't want to be redundant, either.

If they are read by one individual and I discuss an activity in essay 1 that should also be covered in essay 3, would you recommend briefly repeating the information in essay 3?

Members don't see this ad :)
So we don't have to be invited to this secondary right? We just go online and fill it out? I'm pretty sure it's open.

So we don't have to be invited to this secondary right? We just go online and fill it out? I'm pretty sure it's open.

...Wait really?! Hmm...I think I'm going to wait it out for a bit. Maybe until July 1st at least, just to be sure.

Yeah it's open, but I don't think you can submit till the 1st. I'm not sure since haven't tried.

No you can submit before but they wont review it until the first. at least thats what they told me when I emailed

secondary submitted! Hoping for the best, good luck :)

do you guys know the recommendation letter requirements? Also, do they accept any from TAs?

Does anyone know of people that didn't fill out the 'optional essays' last year and still got II?

I am always nervous not to fill them out since even if you have as solid app it sorta sends a 'I'm not that interested' vibe to the committee.

Thoughts? Is it as bad as I think or are you still somewhat competitive not filling them out?

Last edited:
Does anyone know of people that didn't fill out the 'optional essays' last year and still got II?

I am always nervous not to fill them out since even if you have as solid app it sorta sends a 'I'm not that interested' vibe to the committee.

Thoughts? Is it as bad as I think or are you still somewhat competitive not filling them out?

Optional = optional. I, along with many other people in my class, did not fill out any optional essays and was still accepted. If you have something meaningful to add then go ahead, but don't feel like you have to in order to get an interview/acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone give their SAT scores? I kinda don't want to give mine...

In addition, if I was to answer the first prompt with a non-medically related experience but one that has influenced other aspects of my life (namely academic), would you suggest going for it?

Last edited:
Just found out about the Dean's certificate thing... My major is in the School of Medicine at my home institution and I'm also applying to that medical school (so I'm guessing the dean of the SOM would have to sign the certificate). Is that going to be a problem or am I freaking out for no reason?

Optional = optional. I, along with many other people in my class, did not fill out any optional essays and was still accepted. If you have something meaningful to add then go ahead, but don't feel like you have to in order to get an interview/acceptance.
Been following you on SDN for a while dude. I come from the same undergrad, but admittedly I don't feel as though I have the same level of app as you had when you were applying (No gap year or publications and new MCAT section ended up brining me down a little, even tho my VR was going to suck anyway)

My question: Are you saying this for Wash U specifically, or other med schools as well? I don't want to try to write an essay and have it count against me (I am bad at writing tbh...) It just would seem odd to not try and write an optional essay for a reach school.

Lol I have no chance at this school with my 29 MCAT.

That is all. I'm out!

Lol I have no chance at this school with my 29 MCAT.

That is all. I'm out!
Mine's not much better and I'm still going for it. It'll likely be $200 wasted but I'd feel worse if I didn't at least try.

Just found out about the Dean's certificate thing... My major is in the School of Medicine at my home institution and I'm also applying to that medical school (so I'm guessing the dean of the SOM would have to sign the certificate). Is that going to be a problem or am I freaking out for no reason?
The Dean's certification needs to go to the Dean of Students at your school, or the similar office that can verify that you've had a disciplinary action or not

Mine's not much better and I'm still going for it. It'll likely be $200 wasted but I'd feel worse if I didn't at least try.

Haha yea. I'm already applying to slu though which is already a reach with my garbage stats.

Is the 1800 character thing with "what are your plans" optional? I am currently on my gap year (graduated May 2015) but I don't have a job yet (I've applied and I am looking for things to do.) Seeing as the prompt asks for things that have transpired since graduation and nothing has transpired, should I fill it with potential activities or just leave it blank?

Last edited:
Why is the hardest part getting a photo that doesn't look like crap....

Been following you on SDN for a while dude. I come from the same undergrad, but admittedly I don't feel as though I have the same level of app as you had when you were applying (No gap year or publications and new MCAT section ended up brining me down a little, even tho my VR was going to suck anyway)

My question: Are you saying this for Wash U specifically, or other med schools as well? I don't want to try to write an essay and have it count against me (I am bad at writing tbh...) It just would seem odd to not try and write an optional essay for a reach school.

Stay optimistic - while there are some predictable patterns in the admissions cycle, overall it's largely a crapshoot. It's really hard to tell where you will interview and be accepted.

I don't want to speak for all other schools, so my advice was primarily aimed towards WashU's secondary. Other schools may see the optional essays as less "optional."

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Amba!

Also a question to anyone: Is there a good format for filling out family connections to schools? Do I list their name, years of attendance or teaching etc? Or just their name and the relationship?

Got a secondary invite saying that they've received my app even though it hasn't been verified yet.

Also it's about time I get a somewhat professional pic of myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received and submitted! Verified 6/4.

I think the max is 4 LORs?

So essays need to be 3000 characters on word right? it doesn't count spacing between paragraphs so idk

So essays need to be 3000 characters on word right? it doesn't count spacing between paragraphs so idk
Yeah I was having issues with that trying to enter them too yesterday, haven't looked at it closely yet today though.

Anyone else having issues with the photo submission? I uploaded a photo yesterday, but decided to take a better one today. After re-uploading and logging out, the old photo remains when I log back in.

I hope it won't cut off the end or anything when I submit...

I tried to submit just now, and it asked me if I wanted to include a photo... but I see a picture of myself when I go to the "Upload Photo" screen! So confused! I sent an email to IT about it, but don't really just want to sit on a finished secondary.

I tried to submit just now, and it asked me if I wanted to include a photo... but I see a picture of myself when I go to the "Upload Photo" screen! So confused! I sent an email to IT about it, but don't really just want to sit on a finished secondary.
huh that's weird..I am probably submitting soon, I'll let you know if that happens to me! Did you have exactly 3000 characters/did it cut off anything?

huh that's weird..I am probably submitting soon, I'll let you know if that happens to me! Did you have exactly 3000 characters/did it cut off anything?
Lol, I submitted already.. the email I got said "don't forget to pay your fee, submit your photo, and send in your dean's cert!" So I'm wondering if we really can do it after the fact, once it's fixed.

Yeah, so I had under the 3000 (but barely) via Word and GoogleDocs, but I had to cut down an extra 15-20 characters for WUMS Apply for some reason... I just kept editing until it let me save and move on.

hold on now that I'm looking at the app..where do you add a photo?

edit: NVM lol found it. getting confused with what I've submitted for each secondary

hold on now that I'm looking at the app..where do you add a photo?

It's under the main area "MyApp" or something like that, when you get INSIDE the supplemental application, you've gone too far down the rabbit hole, and just need to back up to see the link on the left Nav bar :)

Lol, I submitted already.. the email I got said "don't forget to pay your fee, submit your photo, and send in your dean's cert!" So I'm wondering if we really can do it after the fact, once it's fixed.

Yeah, so I had under the 3000 (but barely) via Word and GoogleDocs, but I had to cut down an extra 15-20 characters for WUMS Apply for some reason... I just kept editing until it let me save and move on.
oh so it doesn't even let you save unless you're under the limit? That's more comforting haha

Secondary received and submitted! Verified 6/4.

I think the max is 4 LORs?
I might be wrong but Im pretty sure their instructions say 3 professors total with one science prof