2016-2017 Brown University (Alpert) Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Samesies! I literally feel like every school has put me in the "meh" pile. Like when a guy still wants you as an option but doesn't want to put a ring on it...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It looks like you have an acceptance already though, so clearly a school did want to put a ring on it
 
I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to come to terms with this. They're all just stringing me along; building false hope only to most likely crush me at a later time.

Keep in mind, many strong applicants who stood out to schools have been accepted and are withdrawing or have withdrawn from schools. Therefore, they will not be receiving the IIs from further schools. This leaves 'the pile' with the remainder of the IIs
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry for not posting this when it ahppened, but maybe it's helpful to those of you who like having more info:
I was complete 7/26, interviewed 10/27, and waitlisted 11/21. LizzyM ~74
They tell you on your interview day when you'll receive a decision which is super nice. Good luck everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
End of the week they are releasing offers. Not sure if this includes waitlisted applicants though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question about this in general: On the MSAR it shows that approx 35% of interviewed candidates matriculate. One of the deans said something like "we take 40% of our interviewees." Did she mean that they end up having 40% of their interviewees enroll? It can't actually mean they give out 40% acceptances to interviewees, right, because that seems too close to the 35% on the MSAR. I know I've seen something like "Alpert admits 70% of interviewees" elsewhere in this thread but I think I'm a bit confused now.
 
Per USNews Compass for Brown:

ImageUploadedBySDN1482349470.058755.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Question about this in general: On the MSAR it shows that approx 35% of interviewed candidates matriculate. One of the deans said something like "we take 40% of our interviewees." Did she mean that they end up having 40% of their interviewees enroll? It can't actually mean they give out 40% acceptances to interviewees, right, because that seems too close to the 35% on the MSAR. I know I've seen something like "Alpert admits 70% of interviewees" elsewhere in this thread but I think I'm a bit confused now.

According to USNews, AMS admits 70%+ of those interviewed, but I am guessing this number includes PLME and EIP students. I am not sure what the true post-interview acceptance rate is for those applying the AMCAS route. According to USNews, of those interviewed (379) 144 enrolled (~38%).
 
According to USNews, AMS admits 70%+ of those interviewed, but I am guessing this number includes PLME and EIP students. I am not sure what the true post-interview acceptance rate is for those applying the AMCAS route. According to USNews, of those interviewed (379) 144 enrolled (~38%).

When I interviewed in November I was told that, from the regular AMCAS pool, 33% of interviewees were offered straight acceptance, but that number goes up to 50% when waitlist movement at the end of the cycle is incorporated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They are re-considered with each subsequent batch of students. In the last cycle, applicants were taken off the waitlist from December all the way to June. Director Hall said so. Looks like I've been skipped over again. Will likely (tearfully) withdraw from Alpert since I got into my top choice.

I'm just curious, if you got into your top choice why would Brown still be under consideration? When you say "top" I am assuming the medical school you have given that designation to is a school you would go to over any other school?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I'm just curious, if you got into your top choice why would Brown still be under consideration? When you say "top" I am assuming the medical school you have given that designation to is a school you would go to over any other school?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In my case (specifically Alpert)...$$$$$. Loved Alpert but would probably go to a lower-cost school almost as high on list bc COA here will be high...still waiting on that $ info though and hopefully they'll come through
 
Alternatively does anyone know how Alpert is w/regard to any sort of scholarships? Specifically merit bc I think i'll be in that zone where I won't get much if any institutional aid but parents also can't contribute