2016-2017 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news on WL movement? (low key dying)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have they already given merit scholarships? By what time would they be given?

For those interested I received an email about being the recipient of a merit scholarship this past week.... (I know I was curious if they informed people pre or post the 4/30 deadline prior to this cycle and it seems to be post for me).

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any point in sending at letter of interest at this point? Is it too late?

Got a missed call from NY, NY. Called back. *recorded voice* "Hello, this is Jennifer from Card Services" :cryi::cryi::cryi:

I don't know about today, but the facebook group grew from 282 --> 289 so presumably a batch of waitlist calls went out alrdy

Congrats! For the rest of us waiting -- I called the office this morning, but couldn't get any real information about when/how to expect decisions. The person I spoke with couldn't even tell me if movement had occurred (which apparently it has.) Sigh...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the waitlist this morning via phone call!!!! 7 days to make a decision, this is going to be a stressful week.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the waitlist this morning via phone call!!!! 7 days to make a decision, this is going to be a stressful week.
Do they give you financial aid info before your 7 days are up?

They said they would try to get it to me as soon as possible.

Congrats to all accepted off the waitlist!! Just wondering if you guys submitted letters of intent/interest or updates?

Congrats to all who have gotten in off the waitlist

When you were called and then your portal changed, did they also send you an email? I'm out of the country so I wouldn't get their phone call if they tried to contact me, so I've been checking my email constantly lol.

Has anyone still on the waitlist heard anything from Columbia since February? (Like, other than confirmations that updates were received?)

anyone know if there's been any WL movement since last Wednesday? tryna figure out if it's time to throw in the towel

Also looks like they communicated a lot more with the waitlist in the past. The silence seems pretty eerie to me...

I'm on the same side of the divide as you, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't think they've ever been frequent communicators. The last few years, there was one "movement will begin soon" email at the beginning of May. Ending two years ago, there also seemed to be personal phone calls to high priority waitlist folk, but there never seemed to be much else.

Also have a creeping suspicion there will be less WL movement this year than in the past since they seem to have improved their aid substantially and may be improving yield as a result. As mentioned above, according to the facebook group, ~137 people from the class of 2021 are active.

Also have a creeping suspicion there will be less WL movement this year than in the past since they seem to have improved their aid substantially and may be improving yield as a result. As mentioned above, according to the facebook group, ~137 people from the class of 2021 are active.

Plausible, but how do you know they've increased their aid?

At least 25 people have been added to the FB group since last Monday when they started making WL offers, mainly in 2 waves, so add maybe at least 15 people to the 137 from before that are committed to the class...that's why I was wondering if they may even already be at capacity because there's been such silence

EDIT: And yes I have too much time at work lol

But did schools like harvard, stanford, penn, jhu have any waitlist movement?

At least 25 people have been added to the FB group since last Monday when they started making WL offers, mainly in 2 waves, so add maybe at least 15 people to the 137 from before that are committed to the class...that's why I was wondering if they may even already be at capacity because there's been such silence

EDIT: And yes I have too much time at work lol

Can you go through the 137 + 15 profiles and count how many of them are current P&S students?

Since you have a lot of free time :p

There's a high priority waitlist? How do we know if were on it? I haven't heard anything except the confirming things I uploaded since my interview day. I also remember some people reporting on SDN getting a thank you letter from the dean after their interview, so I wonder if something similar occurred regarding the waitlist.

To the people who've gotten off the waitlist so far, did you have any such sign? Email from the dean or anything of the sort besides silence since your interview?

Last edited:
There's a high priority waitlist? How do we know if were on it? I haven't heard anything except the confirming things I uploaded since my interview day. I also remember some people reporting on SDN getting a thank you letter from the dean after their interview, so I wonder if something similar occurred regarding the waitlist.

To the people who've gotten off the waitlist so far, did you have any such sign? Email from the dean or anything of the sort besides silence since your interview?

To my knowledge, there hasn't been a HPWL since two years ago.

Hi! I called the admissions office this morning and asked about waitlist movement, they said there has been some movement this week and that it may continue into next week if people decline the offer or drop from the class. Personally hoping for more movement!

Hi! I called the admissions office this morning and asked about waitlist movement, they said there has been some movement this week and that it may continue into next week if people decline the offer or drop from the class. Personally hoping for more movement!

what did you ask them lol, cause when I called, they were like "sorry i can't give out that information" -_-

what did you ask them lol, cause when I called, they were like "sorry i can't give out that information" -_-

I just asked for an update on the waitlist movement! I may have just lucked out with who picked up the phone

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but spoke to someone in admissions today and the class is officially full/set :(

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but spoke to someone in admissions today and the class is officially full/set :(
I'm still gonna hold on to a shred of hope before I get an official email, but that is a real bummer :(. I better really get cracking on my 2018 app!

Not that I don't trust thrwaway2017, but I had to ask for myself because, ya' know, stages of grieving or something.

Conversation as follows:

Me: Hello, my name is ________. Can you tell me if you all are still taking students from the waitlist for this year's entering class?

P&S: Hi, we are not currently taking students off the waitlist, but of course that can always change at any time.

That's nothing really new, but my interpretation is that things are still expected to happen, even if it's minor in quantity.

Good luck, y'all.

Did everyone get the email from Dean Nicholas a few hours ago about the class being full? Assuming it's a form letter, but I wanted to double-check.

Reactions: 2 users