2016-2017 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Congratulations to everyone who has heard so far!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys who were accepted, do you have a deposit fee? It says mine was paid at shortly after I received my acceptance.

Hey so I interviewed on the 7th, and I remember them telling us decisions would come out today? I'm assuming they're probably done for the day, so does anyone know what it means if you didn't hear at all today? Thanks guys, and congrats to everyone who was accepted.

Hey guys who were accepted, do you have a deposit fee? It says mine was paid at shortly after I received my acceptance.

Hm yeah my portal says the same. Probably a glitch of some sort, right?

South Jersey resident, live 10 minutes from Cooper. I was complete here on 9/20, I know I am a reach for this school, but is there any hope of getting an II? 3.75 cGPA, 3.58 sGPA, 503 MCAT.

South Jersey resident, live 10 minutes from Cooper. I was complete here on 9/20, I know I am a reach for this school, but is there any hope of getting an II? 3.75 cGPA, 3.58 sGPA, 503 MCAT.

Do you fit the mission of the school? At my interview they really pushed the commitment to serving underprivileged and underserved communities.

But being complete so late will hinder your chances greatly, there is always hope though

Do you fit the mission of the school? At my interview they really pushed the commitment to serving underprivileged and underserved communities.

But being complete so late will hinder your chances greatly, there is always hope though

I mean I am neither underprivileged nor underserved, but I understand the importance and special considerations with treating people in these areas. I've been complete for almost 5 weeks now and I was hoping an II would come through by now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I am neither underprivileged nor underserved, but I understand the importance and special considerations with treating people in these areas. I've been complete for almost 5 weeks now and I was hoping an II would come through by now.
They're not looking for you to be either of those, they're looking for people that have shown service to the communities in one form or another. Also, I've been complete since early August and I'm not ready to panic just yet. It seems like all of the NJ schools are relatively slow. Plus getting a secondary from them shows they're interested so until you hear otherwise, you're not in bad shape.

Reactions: 1 user

That is not what I meant; they play a huge role in the city of Camden from a health stand point but also from a community outreach stand point. One of the big aspects of my application was starting a tutoring program in an inner city area, that kind of stuff.

For what it is worth I am instate, 3.85 gpa and 513 mcat complete 7/16 II 9/7 or so, interviewed 10/8, accepted yesterday

That is not what I meant; they play a huge role in the city of Camden from a health stand point but also from a community outreach stand point. One of the big aspects of my application was starting a tutoring program in an inner city area, that kind of stuff.

For what it is worth I am instate, 3.85 gpa and 513 mcat complete 7/16 II 9/7 or so, interviewed 10/8, accepted yesterday

I understand what you are saying, but if you 1) never grew up in an underserved area, and 2) did not go to college in an underserved area, then how can I justify wanted to help inner city residents without actions to back it up? All I can say is I know these areas have special needs compared to other communities and I will be sensitive to that, but never had the ability to serve in one of these areas

I understand what you are saying, but if you 1) never grew up in an underserved area, and 2) did not go to college in an underserved area, then how can I justify wanted to help inner city residents without actions to back it up? All I can say is I know these areas have special needs compared to other communities and I will be sensitive to that, but never had the ability to serve in one of these areas
well, a lot of us had. for example, above summerlax states that they were able to start an inner city tutoring initiative.

i've had similar experiences, but won't be stating them as they're pretty unique and an adcom could guess who i was.

i'm not saying you need to have had these experiences in undergrad, what i'm saying is that you could have had them.

i'm sure your positive attitude will be helpful. if you're not IS though, the MCAT might be worrisome. if you got a secondary though, they likely aren't worried about it

well, a lot of us had. for example, above summerlax states that they were able to start an inner city tutoring initiative.

i've had similar experiences, but won't be stating them as they're pretty unique and an adcom could guess who i was.

i'm not saying you need to have had these experiences in undergrad, what i'm saying is that you could have had them.

i'm sure your positive attitude will be helpful. if you're not IS though, the MCAT might be worrisome. if you got a secondary though, they likely aren't worried about it

I'm not trying to make excuses, but if you don't live in a city, have no means of getting to a city, and attend college far from a city then you can't start an inner-city initiative. And yes I am in-state, and looking at Siberianhuskey10's stats above in comparison. And I had a secondary within a week of applying.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but if you don't live in a city, have no means of getting to a city, and attend college far from a city then you can't start an inner-city initiative. And yes I am in-state, and looking at Siberianhuskey10's stats above in comparison. And I had a secondary within a week of applying.
I thought you lived 10 min from Cooper...

Hey so I interviewed on the 7th, and I remember them telling us decisions would come out today? I'm assuming they're probably done for the day, so does anyone know what it means if you didn't hear at all today? Thanks guys, and congrats to everyone who was accepted.
+1 I interviewed 9/30 and haven't heard a peep. Thinking maybe they will call tomorrow? Has anyone called and asked?

I understand what you are saying, but if you 1) never grew up in an underserved area, and 2) did not go to college in an underserved area, then how can I justify wanted to help inner city residents without actions to back it up?

I don't want to be harsh here, but honestly you kind of can't....

Even if you do genuinely desire to work with the underserved, you can't really know if its for you or if you will totally hate working in that setting.

Reactions: 2 users
Received waitlist email an hour ago, anyone else?

I don't want to be harsh here, but honestly you kind of can't....

Even if you do genuinely desire to work with the underserved, you can't really know if its for you or if you will totally hate working in that setting.

If that was the case, then there would be no doctors from the suburbs or wealthy communities. I can't think of a single med school that doesn't emphasize either underserved urban communities or rural medicine. By your reasoning the only people that could become physicians come from these underserved urban neighborhoods or rural areas.

If that was the case, then there would be no doctors from the suburbs or wealthy communities. I can't think of a single med school that doesn't emphasize either underserved urban communities or rural medicine. By your reasoning the only people that could become physicians come from these underserved urban neighborhoods or rural areas.

I didn't say you needed to be FROM an underserved area. I said you needed to have a history of working with or in an underserved community. I live in a decent middle class-ish neighborhood in Boston. That doesn't stop me from going and volunteering in a homeless shelter.

Reactions: 3 users
Ever driven 10 minutes east on a highway from Camden?

I didn't say you needed to be FROM an underserved area. I said you needed to have a history of working with or in an underserved community. I live in a decent middle class-ish neighborhood in Boston. That doesn't stop me from going and volunteering in a homeless shelter.

Agreed...living only 10 minutes from Camden shouldn't make it hard to find an organization involved in serving the underprivileged. Nobody said you have to LIVE within an underprivileged community; the sad reality is that these types of neighborhoods are everywhere, even surrounding suburban wealthy areas.

Reactions: 1 users
Well said. Circumstances (including location) should never interfere with ones true passion(s).

Now let's focus on keeping this thread on track. Cooper will expertly decide everyone's fate.

Reactions: 2 users
I just received an email saying my admission's decision was on hold until the next committee meeting? Has anyone else gotten this and does anyone have any idea on what it's a precursor too? I mean rationally I think they just didn't have enough time to get to me during their meeting, but my neurotic side is coming out now.

I just received an email saying my admission's decision was on hold until the next committee meeting? Has anyone else gotten this and does anyone have any idea on what it's a precursor too? I mean rationally I think they just didn't have enough time to get to me during their meeting, but my neurotic side is coming out now.

Don't overthink it - just means no decision made yet and you are still in the running!

Don't overthink it - just means no decision made yet and you are still in the running!

Thanks a lot for the advice! This whole process has made me more neurotic than I ever thought was possible!

does anyone know the chances of acceptance off the waitlist?

Just looking through past years threads and speaking to my friends at Cooper, if you're high priority waitlisted you have a really good chance of being accepted. Not sure about regular waitlist though.

Anybody else who was accepted get the email from Dean Mcgeehan about the facebook group? Check your spam folder if you haven't, it was in mine.

Got rejected today post II. Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those who made the waiting list!

Got rejected today post II. Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those who made the waiting list!
sorry to hear! i'm starting to get worried seeing post-II rejections! :( i guess i assumed everyone gets waitlisted

eta: oops wrong thread--haven't interviewed here. but still sad for those who are getting post II rejections!

Last edited:
rejected pre interview, OOS.. knew it was a long shot OOS, but love jersey

Rejected pre II complete 8/7 OOS lizzy m of 68-69

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
sorry, buddy!

what's everyone thinking? will this be a dartmouth like purge where they come trickling in? or have those of us who haven't received rejections yet, escaped this time?

Complete 8/12 IS no word yet. Fingers crossed

OOS, complete 8/15 + haven't heard a single thing back yet. Guess I'm not surprised though. I have 0 ties to Camden.