2016-2017 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
post-secondary, pre-II rejection email today! OOS and complete 7/21.

good luck everyone still in the running!

Members don't see this ad.

IS complete 7/19 no news yet. Hoping to avoid the chopping block

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS 7/31. No news is good news, no news is good news, no news is......

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone interview on either 9/30 and 10/8 and not hear anything back?

Anyone interview on either 9/30 and 10/8 and not hear anything back?

Yah. I interviewed on 10/7. I got an email yesterday saying my admission'a decision was on hold until the next committee meeting due to time constraints.

Members don't see this ad :)
"You will not be granted an interview with our Admissions Committee"...............thanks a lot guys, can you refund my $100?

Reactions: 2 users
Did you guys have ec activities that match the school's mission? I know they're very service oriented with underserved communities. I'm asking because I'm planning on applying next cycle and want to know if I have a shot here.

Did you guys have ec activities that match the school's mission? I know they're very service oriented with underserved communities. I'm asking because I'm planning on applying next cycle and want to know if I have a shot here.

I didn't have much experience with the underserved

Checking my email waiting anxiously for a rejection... Were they all sent at once?

I had clinical volunteering in underserved areas. And my research position dealt directly with helping underserved children in Camden. But my GPA is < 3.4 and I was rejected.

Reject post-secondary, pre-II
GPA 3.95 at Ivy
MCAT 92nd percentile
Complete early August
IS

Definitely read up on their mission and be sure that you can explain how you match it really well! Academics don't seem to be the driving force at this school, looking at other people of similar statistics to my own. They really are about service and, if I remember correctly when they gave an admissions spiel at my college, they want to see you pick one service opportunity and throw lots of time into that one thing (shows dedication, maturity, commitment, etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I work with inner city kids and promote education and other disciplines, and that didn't seem to be "service-y" enough for them. They were more focused on asking me why I didn't do certain things versus asking about the merits of the things I did have the opportunity to do.

Definitely read up on their mission and be sure that you can explain how you match it really well! Academics don't seem to be the driving force at this school, looking at other people of similar statistics to my own. They really are about service and, if I remember correctly when they gave an admissions spiel at my college, they want to see you pick one service opportunity and throw lots of time into that one thing (shows dedication, maturity, commitment, etc.)
Sorry about the rejection! That sounds like kind of a weird interview! Did it seem like they were fishing for answers they'd like or something? Seems weird to invite you to interview and then give you grief for your choices

Sorry about the rejection! That sounds like kind of a weird interview! Did it seem like they were fishing for answers they'd like or something? Seems weird to invite you to interview and then give you grief for your choices
It was very subtle and quite odd to me! I initially thought it went well and then in retrospect I realized that they were sort of looking for something else that I might talk about that wasn't in my application, but alas I did not have such a surprise. I'm bummed. I really liked it there but I think they are also looking for a particular type of person

Last edited:
It was very subtle and quite odd to me! I initially thought it went well and then in retrospect I realized that they were sort of looking for something else that I might talk about that wasn't in my application, but alas I did not have such a surprise. I'm bummed. I really liked it there but I think they are also looking for a particular type of person, and we can't all be that person I suppose!

That sucks! Hope you don't mind me asking, but did you get a sense of what specific kind of activities they were looking for? I'm still early enough that I can seek out different activities that may help me. But I def agree that's strange... working with inner-city kids sounds pretty good to me!

That sucks! Hope you don't mind me asking, but did you get a sense of what specific kind of activities they were looking for? I'm still early enough that I can seek out different activities that may help me. But I def agree that's strange... working with inner-city kids sounds pretty good to me!

From what I gathered, you definitely want to focus your efforts on underserved populations. Not sure what sort of opportunities you have available to you, but maybe working/shadowing in a clinic located in an urban setting, or getting involved with some kind of urban initiative? It's hard for to be specific about what they might be looking for, honestly, I did a lot of activities, but only one would really be considered helping an undeserved population and this is only my second year doing it.

I'm sure you will do just fine, though! You have plenty of time, and you never know these days!

Interviewed Friday. I LOVE this school. I think my background/ambitions very closely match their mission; I hope they agree.

Reactions: 1 users