2016-2017 East Tennessee State University (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck everyone! Reapplicant still currently waitlisted, so I can answer any questions to the best of my ability!

Any idea how much the CASPer test is going to be worth considering this is the first year the school is using it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant how much emphasis the school was going to place on this test not how much it costs to take.

Veteran here and TN resident, though I think the TN Board of Regents may say otherwise. Anyhow, I emailed according to the instructions about being considered in-state for veterans just in case. I didn't recieve any reply though. Have any vets done this and recieved a reply?

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Thanks, I'll hold off on calling then. I'm still waiting for AMCAS to be verified anyhow. I'm guessing they'll be more available once secondaries start being sent out.

Veteran here and TN resident, though I think the TN Board of Regents may say otherwise. Anyhow, I emailed according to the instructions about being considered in-state for veterans just in case. I didn't recieve any reply though. Have any vets done this and recieved a reply?

It says in the Admissions page that they give extreme preference to In-state applicants. veterans are a plus, but you must be a TN resident, from surrounding TBR accepted border counties, or have done undergrad in TN. They like Vets, but you still need to be a TN resident to be considered seriously here.

It says in the Admissions page that they give extreme preference to In-state applicants. veterans are a plus, but you must be a TN resident, from surrounding TBR accepted border counties, or have done undergrad in TN. They like Vets, but you still need to be a TN resident to be considered seriously here.
Thanks, but the link to instructions for veterans states that any vet separated from active duty within 3 2 years will be considered in state for admissions purposes.

Edit: I was a little wrong. This is from the top of the pdf:
We are pleased to offer good news for our current, active duty service persons and those recently discharged (honorably) with eligibility for the Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill. If you fit the description above AND have enrolled or expect to enroll in a public institution in Tennessee within 24 months of discharge OR will expect to enroll at Quillen within 24 months of separation we will, upon your specific request, consider you as a Tennessee resident for admissions, tuition and fee payment purposes.
A couple of us fitting this description have followed the instructions after this and emailed the department, but have yet to receive a reply. I imagine they haven't started processing those emails yet since, to my knowledge, no secondaries have been sent.

Last edited:

Not true. There were 2 vets in my interview group last cycle. One from TX and the other CA.

Reactions: 1 user
Not true. There were 2 vets in my interview group last cycle. One from TX and the other CA.

https://www.etsu.edu/com/sa/admissions/collegeinfo/statistics.aspx

Well yes, but look at the OOS statistics, only 8 OOS was accepted in the past two cycles combined. That is lumping together Vets and non vets, 4.0s and above average MCAT scores. Statistically you shouldn't bank on this school if you are out of state. The odds are not in your favor if you are just a vet. Even if they do not outright say it in the admissions page, statistically in-state is favored heavily over out of state regardless of vet status.

Well yes, but look at the OOS statistics, only 8 OOS was accepted in the past two cycles combined. That is lumping together Vets and non vets, 4.0s and above average MCAT scores. Statistically you shouldn't bank on this school if you are out of state. The odds are not in your favor if you are just a vet. Even if they do not outright say it in the admissions page, statistically in-state is favored heavily over out of state regardless of vet status.

Fair.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why does this matter to you?

Why does this matter to you?

Because I am applying there and Ive researched how selective they are with admissions. they strongly prefer in-state applicants, Like every other Tennessee state funded university.

Because I am applying there and Ive researched how selective they are with admissions. they strongly prefer in-state applicants, Like every other Tennessee state funded university.
Are you a veteran? If you are, there are several of us here that are here and are pretty supportive of each other. If you aren't, I don't understand why the school's stance on veterans is a concern to you. You know it isn't a competition, right? You just do you.

Are you a veteran? If you are, there are several of us here that are here and are pretty supportive of each other. If you aren't, I don't understand why the school's stance on veterans is a concern to you. You know it isn't a competition, right? You just do you.

Im not trying to disparage you guys, i was just showing that it may not be worthwhile to apply if you aren't from Tennessee or a TBR border county as the majority of matriculants are in-state. My bad I guess.

Im not trying to disparage you guys, i was just showing that it may not be worthwhile to apply if you aren't from Tennessee or a TBR border county as the majority of matriculants are in-state. My bad I guess.
No worries. The school is pretty clear on why competitive veteran applicants should apply, but you probably didn't look through all of the veteran info or military medicine interest material like most of us have.

Good luck. We're not as fortunate as some states, but we do have two great state schools in TN.

No worries. The school is pretty clear on why competitive veteran applicants should apply, but you probably didn't look through all of the veteran info or military medicine interest material like most of us have.

Good luck. We're not as fortunate as some states, but we do have two great state schools in TN.

I'd be more than happy to attend either, but I hear VCOM is nice (DO) and WVU as well. I've done a lot of community service work through the VA with the homeless vets there, so I hope that will help me with ETSU though

Secondary received just now.

No. I'm going to call before hitting submit. Do they normally send secondaries to oos before screening?
I can't recall. All of last year's threads I've poured through are meshing together. No secondary here yet.

Just finished Casper. Anyone else take it today?

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet? I went under pre-secondary screen 9 days ago and I have not heard anything

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

App received 6/30
Secondary received 7/12

Wow, they received mine 7/28. If that's they cause I should hopefully hear something next week. I'm starting to get bogged down with secondaries. I've submitted two this week and still have two more to proofread/write and submit

Wow, they received mine 7/28. If that's they cause I should hopefully hear something next week. I'm starting to get bogged down with secondaries. I've submitted two this week and still have two more to proofread/write and submit

Yea they kind of take their time with the review process.

17 days between them receiving the primary and sending me the secondary

Complete email this morning. Cue nervous ticks and erratic email checking for the foreseeable future.

Complete email this morning. Cue nervous ticks and erratic email checking for the foreseeable future.

This may make you feel better. I was skimming their website and found that they out of the 2000 initial applicants they only send secondaries to 500 of them. So by receiving a secondary here we made it past a huge cut! Odds are that if you submit a secondary here you have a decent shot for an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm nervous. I got my secondary exactly 5 days ago and I see the nearest test date for Casper is August 30th. If I submit my secondary now will I still be considered under the 21 day limit or is it only when my Casper scores arrive ? Taking it on the 30th means I'll be 22 days out. Any help is appreciated.

You'll be fine. I had the same situation. I submitted everything then shot them an email about the Casper. They said once they receive the score, I'll be complete and reviewed for an interview
Thank you so much

@ATPsynthase123 July 13th. I had talked to them and they said they were just waiting on a Casper score and that I'd receive a complete email once they got it.

Never mind! I was entirely complete 7 days ago. I must have missed the email. I called admissions and they said I am currently in interview screening and that the first set of interviews are being sent out early sept.

II just now! Freaking out. IS/military

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Were you early decision? I spoke to admissions yesterday and they said they wouldn't be sending out IIs until sept.

Thanks. Not early decision, but the interview date is in September. They assign a date in the email and you either reply yes or have to call to reschedule.