2016-2017 East Tennessee State University (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does the ADCOM require the Casper results prior to granting the secondary? Or do they require it prior to invite for interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the ADCOM require the Casper results prior to granting the secondary? Or do they require it prior to invite for interview?

Interview. Though it's unclear how the results will be used.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview. Though it's unclear how the results will be used.

Yeah, it probably won't play a huge role in this cycle. It's so easy to game the process that I can't see how it would tell you much about the applicant

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm so excited about my II (received FRI) here. I am OOS (ARK) and wasn't really expecting this since I know it favors in-state so heavily. Anyone have any advice on doing well on the interview? I have been using my school's interview services but was wondering for anywhere else! :)

Is anyone else locked out of the secondary website after they received their complete email? I went to review my submitted secondary after getting the complete email, and now my username and password aren't working. They worked after I submitted but before I received a complete email. Before I send an email to the committee, wanted to check with you guys first.

Why does ETSU favor veterans so much and can I become a veteran in the span of a year or something (just out of curiosity)?

Why does ETSU favor veterans so much and can I become a veteran in the span of a year or something (just out of curiosity)?

The minimum contract is like four years. I believe that's what my friend said when he joined the Air Force. It was either give the military 4 years or more of your time.

Maybe some of the vets in the thread can verify

Typical contracts are four years active duty. Some also vary to five years and even six years depending on what military occupational specialty or job you get assigned to. There use to be a program that was around from 2001-2005ish (maybe to 2006) where you served two years active duty and then went right into a reserve status. I have only met two individuals who did the program because it was a hidden secret.

You could look at reserve or guard but it is still a four year+ contract and you are still subject to deployments, training, and whatever else your unit may do that could conflict with med school. Some units will work with you so it does not effect school while others may simple state that you did sign the dotted line so the government/state owns you. It would not qualify you for veteran status at this school though since it states Active Duty or honorably discharged w/ DD-214.

Edit:
Mind you the four to six years active duty is not the entire contract. It is actually an eight year contract where the time not spent on active duty is independent ready reserve (IRR) where you can be called back to perform service. I have only personally known three individuals who were forced to stay past their active time and into their IRR time (Stop-loss) in 2006. None since then.

Last edited:
Typical contracts are four years active duty. Some also vary to five years and even six years depending on what military occupational specialty or job you get assigned to. There use to be a program that was around from 2001-2005ish (maybe to 2006) where you served two years active duty and then went right into a reserve status. I have only met two individuals who did the program because it was a hidden secret.

You could look at reserve or guard but it is still a four year+ contract and you are still subject to deployments, training, and whatever else your unit may do that could conflict with med school. Some units will work with you so it does not effect school while others may simple state that you did sign the dotted line so the government/state owns you. It would not qualify you for veteran status at this school though since it states Active Duty or honorably discharged w/ DD-214.

Edit:
Mind you the four to six years active duty is not the entire contract. It is actually an eight year contract where the time not spent on active duty is independent ready reserve (IRR) where you can be called back to perform service. I have only personally known three individuals who were forced to stay past their active time and into their IRR time (Stop-loss) in 2006. None since then.

Wow, thanks for the info. That's quite the commitment.

Anyway, I applied as OOS and got a rejection pre-secondary. I was already taking Casper so it was worth a try I think.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the info. That's quite the commitment.

Anyway, I applied as OOS and got a rejection pre-secondary. Both my parents went to Quillen and I was already taking Casper so it was worth a try I think.

Heavy IS bias and favoring of Vets. I really wouldn't bank on this school from OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
This school was amazing. They're really looking for the perfect mix of students for each class. if you get a chance to interview there, you won't be disappointed.

Awesome. Just received an II at Quillen, and am excited to hear positive things about the school from another service member.

Hi all! Current M1 at Quillen. If you guys have any questions about the school, let me know! Just an FYI: I was a traditional applicant, straight out of college, so I can't comment about non-traditional or veteran experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
The active hold list of punishment begins. Hold e-mail this afternoon. Interviewed 9/7.

Also received active hold. @KaBoom'd I think everyone not rejected is placed on this before 15 October. The committee met yesterday and will call October 17th if you're accepted.
So you're saying there's a chance? I only went back a couple years on here and couldn't find any confirmation that was a thing. But, the fact that you got the email as well makes me feel a little better, Mr. Columbia.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

So you're saying there's a chance? I only went back a couple years on here and couldn't find any confirmation that was a thing. But, the fact that you got the email as well makes me feel a little better, Mr. Columbia.

That would make sense since technically they cannot give acceptances until October 15th per AAMC

Sorry to hear. I was there last cycle.
Aye. I have an acceptance, but Quillen is by far my number 1. I saw your moniker quite a bit going through all the TN school threads last year. Good luck man.

Aye. I have an acceptance, but Quillen is by far my number 1. I saw your moniker quite a bit going through all the TN school threads last year. Good luck man.

Oh really? Congrats! Where?

But Quillen is still my number 1 as well. Has been since I interviewed. Really hoping for that II soon! Thank you!

I just went through and looked too. Maybe people deleted their old posts? I had read about this same thing on here and was expecting an active hold email sometime after the 26th.

Or maybe I'm imagining it all and am I denial.

It did happen a few years ago, in both 2012 and 2013. Now I feel like a crazy person after digging that deep.

At least you got to interview, I was rejected post-secondary. Letter via snail mail on Saturday

Brutal. Good luck with whatever you have left out there and then ultimately making a decision. At least that early acceptance takes some of the sting away.

Brutal. Good luck with whatever you have left out there and then ultimately making a decision. At least that early acceptance takes some of the sting away.

I'm hoping I can get an interview to VCOM. Worst case scenario I have LMU, and that wasn't a bad school at all.

Also received active hold. @KaBoom'd I think everyone not rejected is placed on this before 15 October. The committee met yesterday and will call October 17th if you're accepted.

I interviewed on 9/7 as well and also got the hold email today.

Does anyone know the next date the admissions committee will meet? Just had my interview and I thought they said it was late October but not 100%. Looking forward to hearing from them. I was waitlisted last cycle and felt my interview went much better this time. Would love to go here!

just judging from the number of people being put on "hold" post Interview.

Well those people are on hold because they cannot issue acceptances until 10/15 per AAMC regulations.

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!! My journey is over! See y'all next fall!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to those accepted. Anybody know when the next AdCom meeting is?

II just now for November 28th! Let's see how this 2nd cycle goes!

Reactions: 1 users
https://www.etsu.edu/com/sa/admissions/collegeinfo/statistics.aspx

Well yes, but look at the OOS statistics, only 8 OOS was accepted in the past two cycles combined. That is lumping together Vets and non vets, 4.0s and above average MCAT scores. Statistically you shouldn't bank on this school if you are out of state. The odds are not in your favor if you are just a vet. Even if they do not outright say it in the admissions page, statistically in-state is favored heavily over out of state regardless of vet status.

Friend, you are forgetting the OOS students (present company included) that were accepted but chose to attend a different institution.

https://www.etsu.edu/com/sa/admissions/collegeinfo/statistics.aspx

Well yes, but look at the OOS statistics, only 8 OOS was accepted in the past two cycles combined. That is lumping together Vets and non vets, 4.0s and above average MCAT scores. Statistically you shouldn't bank on this school if you are out of state. The odds are not in your favor if you are just a vet. Even if they do not outright say it in the admissions page, statistically in-state is favored heavily over out of state regardless of vet status.

Active Duty personnel and honorably discharged veterans within 3 years of separation are considered IS for application and tuition purposes, so I believe that population would not fall under their OOS numbers. According to US News and World Reports, ETSU interviewed 38 OOS candidates last year, accepted 20, and enrolled 7.

Hoping for some luck. Any new news?

Good luck to all of you.

Last edited:
Anyone there tomorrow?