2016-2017 East Tennessee State University (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed Monday for the 2nd time. Love the school so much. They really are a family there and they show it.
The next adcom meeting is November 21st.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an interview! Not until January though :(

Anyone have any interview tips? Super excited as this is my #1 choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any tips for the interview? Mine is next Monday, and I've only done one MMI prior to this.

Any tips for the interview? Mine is next Monday, and I've only done one MMI prior to this.

Just be yourself. They really want to get to know you. I have not seen a school that is more about finding the right fit in their students.

Reactions: 1 user
Got my II for January 11th. I am IS. Anyone know how their interviews normally go? I attended one at Texas Tech and it was very conversational with no bioethical questions or scenarios. Should I expect this one to be the same?

Got my II for January 11th. I am IS. Anyone know how their interviews normally go? I attended one at Texas Tech and it was very conversational with no bioethical questions or scenarios. Should I expect this one to be the same?

It will be very conversational. But they may ask ethical questions. Just depends on the interviewer.

I've talked to a few students who are currently attending QCOM. Here's what they told me:

1) Display interest in primary care
2) Display interest in practicing in the east Tennessee region
3) Have some knowledge of current issues in healthcare
4) Possibly one or two ethical questions
5) Knowledge of the school's history/purpose
6) Be genuine

Committee meets today! Good luck to any of you that are in that with me!

Reactions: 2 users
How does notification work? Do you think we'll find out before thanksgiving?

They usually give a call the next day for acceptances and an email for hold. I'm not sure about rejections.

Members don't see this ad :)
On hold again. Ugh
Same. I got an offer from another school but would prefer here. Does Quillen typically wait to the very end of the year to accept holds off the waitlist?

Same. I got an offer from another school but would prefer here. Does Quillen typically wait to the very end of the year to accept holds off the waitlist?

I am right there with you.

As far as your question, it depends. A friend of mine got in off hold in January but the others I know that were pulled off of it did not get the call until April or May as people go down to one acceptance.

You're in pretty much the same position that I'm in. When is your interview scheduled for?
I had my interview Monday! It was incredible. Tour was beautiful, students were super excited to speak with us. Two interviews back to back but they could not have been easier. Very very conversational. Spent part of the second interview comparing Harry Potter books. Good luck! If you have any specific questions feel free to message me :)

Interviewed here today. Wonderful student body and school. Definitely agree with the others above that this school is looking for fit. Very impressed with their commitment to the "Quillen Family," and pleasantly surprised by the breadth of clinical opportunities. Certainly seems like a school that is dedicated to making excellent physicians.

Reactions: 1 users
anybody know when the next adcom meeting is? and if they review hold people at every one?

Next admissions committee meeting is on January 23rd.

Does anyone know if Quillen releases what your 'ranking' is on the waitlist?

Wow, this school is awesome. Everyone was incredibly nice, the campus was great, and the interviews were really relaxed - both were almost 100% conversational. Hopefully they show some love!

Hoping for a call off of hold tomorrow! The January meeting last cycle is when the first people were called off of it! So we will see what happens!

Accepted!! Just got the call at 9:23 CST! So excited, see those of you accepted this fall!

Hope they're just taking a bit to call everyone haha. Its pretty nerve wracking just waiting!

Hope they're just taking a bit to call everyone haha. Its pretty nerve wracking just waiting!
I hope so. I would really like to hear back as well. This school is by far my first choice. Does anyone know how late into the day the admissions office will call people?

Well heard back, just not what I wanted to hear. Oh well.

I guess they are done calling people back then. I wonder if anyone got off the waitlist today.

I have a friend on the active hold list. Any recommendations on what he can do to help his chances?
LOI? An additional LOR?

I have a friend on the active hold list. Any recommendations on what he can do to help his chances?
LOI? An additional LOR?

When I was on hold last year, Stephanie Cole pretty much told me that it would take some pretty intense updates to change a spot on the hold list. I would suggest he just sit tight.

Update: Just got the call. Accepted off hold!

Last edited:
When I was on hold last year, Stephanie Cole pretty much told me that it would take some pretty intense updates to change a spot on the hold list. I would suggest he just sit tight.
That sucks. Thanks for the info. Poor guy.

Has anyone called after being put on hold or rejected to ask for reasons? I know a lot of other schools will tell you if you call/email.

Has anyone called after being put on hold or rejected to ask for reasons? I know a lot of other schools will tell you if you call/email.
I was told during the interview day that they will not discuss reasons about their decisions but would be happy to give suggestions on improvements to your app for next cycle. So I guess if you word it as asking for improvements they could tell you what to work on.

You can do this after April when you know you're on the alternate list.

Accepted off the wait list just after noon eastern time today. Interviewed on the first date in September and sent a letter in December with my fall grades, since GPA is one of my red flags. No punctuation or emoticons can begin to express my excitement and gratitude, so I won't even try. Incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted off the wait list just after noon eastern time today. Interviewed on the first date in September and sent a letter in December with my fall grades, since GPA is one of my red flags. No punctuation or emoticons can begin to express my excitement and gratitude, so I won't even try. Incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats!

Got the call at 12:39. ACCEPTED!!! This is the opportunity of a lifetime.
Secondary complete 08/02
Interview: 09/14, On hold since. I wish the best of luck to those still on hold!

Reactions: 3 users
Yes! The calls off of hold have begun!

I interview here next week as an OOS applicant. Does anyone know if Quillen has a hard cutoff for OOS applicants? I know they've already accepted 7 so far this cycle and last year they only accepted 7 OOS in total. I guess I just want to know if I have any chance at all at this point.

Accepted this morning around 9:45!! Right as I was walking into an interview for another school - couldn't have come at a better time!! So excited to join everyone this fall!!