2016-2017 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status change to "preliminary review completed."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted fine and they were just over 1200 so I think that 1200 was just considered a guideline.

I emailed them to check the character count-- The only essay with a limit was the first one (1200 characters with spaces) and the others didn't specify, but I thought I'd at least try to get clarification before I submit mine, since some are much longer. Anyone else know for sure if there's a limit on the others??

I emailed them to check the character count-- The only essay with a limit was the first one (1200 characters with spaces) and the others didn't specify, but I thought I'd at least try to get clarification before I submit mine, since some are much longer. Anyone else know for sure if there's a limit on the others??
They must have received a million calls/emails. They changed the secondary, mine changed at least. Now under each essay it says "Character limit 1600 (including spaces)", other than the very first one which is still 1200.

Somewhat frustrating as I just finished writing all of them in word and went to submit and one of mine is too long now and needs some revision, luckily it's only one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely submitted my secondary before there was a character limit.... lols. Oh well.

Just submitted (hopeful thoughts)

I am OOS, verified June 7, and still have not received a secondary (LizzyM ~ 68). I emailed them and will post their response here for those of you who have not yet received a secondary.

Can we move on to the next page without completing the current page? I want to check out the rest of the questions without locking in the first two essays

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

Can we move on to the next page without completing the current page? I want to check out the rest of the questions without locking in the first two essays

You can type something on the spaces then move to the next page. You can go back and edit your answers again.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Still no secondary here. Has anyone received it recently or called to inquire? I was verified two days after submission on June 7th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no secondary here. Has anyone received it recently or called to inquire? I was verified two days after submission on June 7th.

I still have not received it. I was verified end of June though

Seems they go out in waves. I was not apart of the first wave of secondaries but was verified Day 1 by AMCAS. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to how they get sent out. Sending an email wouldn't hurt but I'd wait to the next waves comes in and if you hear nothing, then maybe reach out.

I submitted AMCAS 8/9 and got my secondary 8/10... For those that didn't get their secondary maybe check to see if something is missing from your AMCAS?

THERE IS A SOLUTION TO THE SECONDARY DILEMMA, I PRESENT TO YOU -- @fball22

Sent me a pm:

If you haven't received a secondary from FAU yet try putting your email into the portal and select "forgot my password". If they meant to send you a secondary they should email you a link to change your password. It worked for me, I'm positive my email got erased in my spam folder (happened with multiple schools).

This is the portal map.fau.edu

see if it works for you too. By the way, does anybody have any tips on how they approached the why FAU essay? Is there anything unique in particular about FAU?

Sent me a pm:

If you haven't received a secondary from FAU yet try putting your email into the portal and select "forgot my password". If they meant to send you a secondary they should email you a link to change your password. It worked for me, I'm positive my email got erased in my spam folder (happened with multiple schools).

see if it works for you too. By the way, does anybody have any tips on how they approached the why FAU essay? Is there anything unique in particular about FAU?

FYI I just tried this and it worked for me too. I assume it's fine because MSAR says FAU doesn't screen, but I would feel awkward if I wasn't supposed to get it yet...

Sent me a pm:

Can you send an exact link? portal map.fau.edu doesn't work for me

FYI I just tried this and it worked for me too. I assume it's fine because MSAR says FAU doesn't screen, but I would feel awkward if I wasn't supposed to get it yet...

so do you think we shouldn't complete the secondary? Neuroticism kicking in :(

has anyone called the office yet?

completed my secondary like 2 weeks ago, status says secondary application completed, anyone else have a different status or..?

completed my secondary like 2 weeks ago, status says secondary application completed, anyone else have a different status or..?
I have something like "Your application is currently being reviewed."

So does the status every go beyond "Secondary submitted"?

Does anyone know if FAU looks undergrad GPA or the most recent work? I did SMP.

Does anyone know what medical facilities FAU is associated with? Or where students go for clinicals? Can't seem to find this info on the website.

Does anyone know what medical facilities FAU is associated with? Or where students go for clinicals? Can't seem to find this info on the website.

Found in admissions brochure in case anyone else is curious:
Clinical courses are taught at clusters of hospitals in three geographic sites within Palm Beach and Broward counties — the Northern Cluster (Bethesda Memorial Hospital, West Palm Beach VA Medical Center and St. Mary’s Medical Center), the Central Cluster (Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Delray Medical Center and West Boca Medical Center) and the Southern Cluster (Cleveland Clinic Florida, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital and Memorial Regional Hospital).

Ok... is anyone else waiting for the official secondary email? I haven't received one but it's almost September, I'm getting kind of worried at this point. Should I call the admissions office tomorrow? I don't want to come off as a neurotic premed...

+1. So excited!

Congratulations! When were you "preliminary review complete", if you don't mind me asking? I've been "preliminary review in progress" since August 2nd, and submitted July 26th.

Congratulations! When were you "preliminary review complete", if you don't mind me asking? I've been "preliminary review in progress" since August 2nd, and submitted July 26th.

If I remember correctly, I submitted ~7/27 and was "preliminary review complete" within a few days.

Last edited:
Congrats on the II's!

Anybody else still have "Secondary Application Completed" as their status? I submitted my application towards the end of July, OOS.

Does anyone know if they provide student hosts and if there are any events (whether informal or formal) scheduled the day before the interview?

II here as well! (IS)

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone still have "secondary application complete" as their status? i submitted about three weeks ago and it hasn't changed. tried getting into contact with them but still no response. anyone else says this?

Congrats on the II's!

Anybody else still have "Secondary Application Completed" as their status? I submitted my application towards the end of July, OOS.

submitted first of august and still have this, IS here

does anyone still have "secondary application complete" as their status? i submitted about three weeks ago and it hasn't changed. tried getting into contact with them but still no response. anyone else says this?
Submitted August 6th and I'm at preliminary review in progress. Been there for about a week as far as I know. IS