2016-2017 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Preliminary review completed today. Submitted 8/6 IS.

Reactions: 1 user
My app still says "secondary completed", and I submitted at least a month ago. Should I be concerned?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My app still says "secondary completed", and I submitted at least a month ago. Should I be concerned?

same here, i emailed them and they said they have my app and basically gotta wait.

Got a II from FAU! Which rhymes, if you read it like I do. LizzyM 77, IS. Complete 8/10.

For everyone that applied here, I only knew about this II because I checked the portal. There was a mention of an email invitation, which I'm sure I never received. Nothing in my inbox or spam folder. I'd advise everyone to keep checking because this one took me by surprise.

Reactions: 3 users
II from FAU! First one! LizzyM 73, IS. Complete 8/10.

Like mhagerman said, I didn't receive an email. I only found out after checking the portal today after seeing his post. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: 2 users
I just checked my portal and have an interview too...no email

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so jealous of you guys! Hopefully I get an answer soon :/

Has anybody had any luck contacting the admissions office? When I call they only offer to leave a message

II from FAU! First one! LizzyM 73, IS. Complete 8/10.

Like mhagerman said, I didn't receive an email. I only found out after checking the portal today after seeing his post. Thanks for the heads up!

I just checked my portal and have an interview too...no email

+1 completed 8/24, LizzyM in the mid 70s

Hey all! Just checked the portal and had a surprise interview invite- I also didn't get an email! The only date available is 9/13.. Did everyone else have one date choice? I can make that day work if I have to but would schedule at another date if possible

Hey all! Just checked the portal and had a surprise interview invite- I also didn't get an email! The only date available is 9/13.. Did everyone else have one date choice? I can make that day work if I have to but would schedule at another date if possible

I was only given one date and asked if it worked. I just made it work because I didn't want to be rescheduled for much later!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

With all these surprise interviews I am going to be constantly checking my portal O.O

I just received an II this morning with the only dates availavle 9/27 and 9/29. Anyone have luck asking fau about later dates? My schedule is packed and I live OOS

Sent from my SM-G920P using SDN mobile

I just received an II this morning with the only dates availavle 9/27 and 9/29. Anyone have luck asking fau about later dates? My schedule is packed and I live OOS

Sent from my SM-G920P using SDN mobile

Congrats on the competitive-as-hell OOS II!

Was wondering if you ever got a "preliminary review" status beforehand on the portal? I'm OOS as well, and have been stuck at the "Secondary Application Completed" since the end of July.

Congrats on the competitive-as-hell OOS II!

Was wondering if you ever got a "preliminary review" status beforehand on the portal? I'm OOS as well, and have been stuck at the "Secondary Application Completed" since the end of July.

I'm technically IS, however I live OOS so it is difficult for me to get back and forth and I also have an interview already scheduled in NY on 9/29 so I will be flying back and forth. I think it said that my preliminary review was complete and I'd be contacted if I was selected for an interview. Not sure though.

For those of you who have interviewed already, how were the interviews? What are good ways to prepare?

For those of you who have interviewed already, how were the interviews? What are good ways to prepare?

Know yourself and know your application. It seems cliche, but the interviews are fairly relaxed and they are just trying to get to know you. Be genuine. It was an overall low stress environment, and very enjoyable day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got a II from FAU! Which rhymes, if you read it like I do. LizzyM 77, IS. Complete 8/10.

For everyone that applied here, I only knew about this II because I checked the portal. There was a mention of an email invitation, which I'm sure I never received. Nothing in my inbox or spam folder. I'd advise everyone to keep checking because this one took me by surprise.

How do I find the portal?

Current M1 here.

CESCOM knows you on paper. They invited you for an interview because they like you, this means that there's a seat here with your name on it. If you match up to the person they saw on paper, and not raise any red flags (ex. poor communication skills) that seat is yours. It's that simple. Keep that in mind.

As for preparation, Try to understand the physician's roles and qualities that are essential to effective care. You need to communicate to your interviewer that you possess these, even better, you need to formulate your responses to show that you HAVE been demonstrating these qualities over the last few years. Use sdn interview feedback page to prep for questions. Don't memorize your answers (Robotic responses aren't attractive).

Finally, learn about the school, before and DURING the interview. As much as the school is interviewing you, you also need to be seeing if this is the right place for you or not. If you can clearly articulate why CESCOM is the place for you (if it is) then I'd say you're half way there. Of course this means understanding the curriculum, philosophies, and essentially what makes FAU unique (hint: start with the website, then read any documents you can find about the school that the school has published).

P.S. I absolutely love CESCOM. The faculty here may be our biggest asset, they WILL make sure that you're doing well.

Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
II!

is there anyway to see my application after selecting my interview date? Cant seem to do so

II!

is there anyway to see my application after selecting my interview date? Cant seem to do so
Always save a personal copy of anything you're submitting online. This applies to things other than applying to med school, too.

Current M1 here.

CESCOM knows you on paper. They invited you for an interview because they like you, this means that there's a seat here with your name on it. If you match up to the person they saw on paper, and not raise any red flags (ex. poor communication skills) that seat is yours. It's that simple. Keep that in mind.

As for preparation, Try to understand the physician's roles and qualities that are essential to effective care. You need to communicate to your interviewer that you possess these, even better, you need to formulate your responses to show that you HAVE been demonstrating these qualities over the last few years. Use sdn interview feedback page to prep for questions. Don't memorize your answers (Robotic responses aren't attractive).

Finally, learn about the school, before and DURING the interview. As much as the school is interviewing you, you also need to be seeing if this is the right place for you or not. If you can clearly articulate why CESCOM is the place for you (if it is) then I'd say you're half way there. Of course this means understanding the curriculum, philosophies, and essentially what makes FAU unique (hint: start with the website, then read any documents you can find about the school that the school has published).

P.S. I absolutely love CESCOM. The faculty here may be our biggest asset, they WILL make sure that you're doing well.

Good luck.

Do you know anything about your step one pass rates ? How does CESCOM help you study for step one ? Thanks

Preliminary review in progress for ~2 months. Anyone else in same boat?

Current Status: Secondary Application Completed
Since Aug. 15

Hey guys, in the secondary under "Additional Science" do you know if we should limit our entries to BCPM classes or can we include public health classes like epidemiology, emerging infectious diseases, ph immunology, and also psychology and sociology? Do you think I should call the school and ask?

First II, Secondary Complete 9/7/16. 513 3.97

hey guys, I wouldn't worry too much about the status changes. I submitted mine on Sunday and had the preliminary review completed either Wednesday or Thursday I have no idea when it changed and I definitely DO NOT have crazy stats. This process is tough enough please don't sweat the little stuff! Not trying to belittle anyone or invalidate potential stressors but just trying to spread some positivity. Best of luck to everyone!

hey guys, I wouldn't worry too much about the status changes. I submitted mine on Sunday and had the preliminary review completed either Wednesday or Thursday I have no idea when it changed and I definitely DO NOT have crazy stats. This process is tough enough please don't sweat the little stuff! Not trying to belittle anyone or invalidate potential stressors but just trying to spread some positivity. Best of luck to everyone!
How do you check your status?

My status has been "preliminary review in progress" since August. Anyone else in the same boat?

My status has been "preliminary review in progress" since August. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm still "Secondary Application Complete" since the same time.