2016-2017 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welp, I graduated from my masters program last week with a 3.9 (+1) but I still have to play the waiting game with FSU (-1) and quell my increasing anxiety with cookies n cream bars....
84.gif
LOL, im with you on that Masters note. I have other Interviews, but waiting on FSU like whats good!?!? Where is the FSU love!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone every heard of someone getting accepted after submitting their secondary on the last possible day? Asking for a friend...

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone every heard of someone getting accepted after submitting their secondary on the last possible day? Asking for a friend...
Hahaha ;) well, I submitted somewhat late (by SDN standards) and got an interview invitation less than a week later. I am pretty sure they send invites based on mission matching, not completion date! But idk just my two cents. :) good luck (to your friend;))!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was reading this thread and saw FSU rarely accepts OOS. I currently have a 4.0 GPA and am taking the MCAT in May, with good ECs and LORs what schools in Florida would I have a chance at getting into? Do any schools take many OOS? I'm from Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was reading this thread and saw FSU rarely accepts OOS. I currently have a 4.0 GPA and am taking the MCAT in May, with good ECs and LORs what schools in Florida would I have a chance at getting into? Do any schools take many OOS? I'm from Wisconsin.

Hi @paulwill2, as an OOS applicant looking at Florida schools, you will probably have the best of luck at the University of Miami. In fact, more OOS applicants interviewed at this school last cycle than IS applicants. Private schools generally have higher acceptance rates for OOS applicants and this even applies to states other than Florida.

http://admissions.med.miami.edu/md-programs/general-md/class-profile

Thanks for the reply, do any other schools in Florida take a decent amount of OOS?

Why doesn't the MSAR show interview data for FSU? Says 0 people were interviewed. Does anyone know the post-interview acceptance rate? Thanks. Also any tips regarding interview day will be appreciated. I will be looking at FSU's page for interview feedback but more responses from current applicants will be nice :) Thank you.

Why doesn't the MSAR show interview data for FSU? Says 0 people were interviewed. Does anyone know the post-interview acceptance rate? Thanks. Also any tips regarding interview day will be appreciated. I will be looking at FSU's page for interview feedback but more responses from current applicants will be nice :) Thank you.

I've heard that they generally offer ~300 interviews for ~120 seats! Not sure at all of the number of applicants who get in directly post-interview vs. getting in eventually off the wait list, but it's safe to say your odds definitely increase once you get the II!

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard that they generally offer ~300 interviews for ~120 seats! Not sure at all of the number of applicants who get in directly post-interview vs. getting in eventually off the wait list, but it's safe to say your odds definitely increase once you get the II!

I think like last year or the year before, they gave a total of ~150 acceptances, including WL -> acceptance. That's one of the reasons they have the second lowest acceptance rate in the country, there is a very high acceptance to matriculant rate! At least that's what I heard. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when they typically start moving the waitlist? Does FSU wait until April? Or do they do mid-cycle? Thanks!

Is there a certain process for joining/getting into the Facebook group?

@nolemed225 Yea! I got accepted awhile back and joined the group but my request has been pending for a few weeks. Wasn't sure if there's any thing else I needed to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, do any other schools in Florida take a decent amount of OOS?

USF is fairly OOS friendly. In reality, any other FL school is more OOS friendly than FSU. As far as I know, there's only 2 OOS students in my class but they had really strong ties to Florida. If you're applying D.O., LECOM & NOVA are OOS friendly.

@nolemed225 Yea! I got accepted awhile back and joined the group but my request has been pending for a few weeks. Wasn't sure if there's any thing else I needed to do.

Ask to rejoin.. I just checked and it's not showing that we have any pending requests... so that's strange.

According to the data on the med.fsu.edu page, 150 interviewed for 120 spots. Typically when FSU sends out acceptances, people accept them.

Hey guys! I use to frequent the forums a lot but lately I've been MIA lol. Anyways, I'm a current student and I'll be one of the anatomy TAs this summer :) let me know if you have any questions and congrats to those who have been accepted! FSU COM is really an amazing place to be a student.

I have an interview here in 2 weeks and FSU is definitely my top choice! Any tips?

I have an interview here in 2 weeks and FSU is definitely my top choice! Any tips?

Honestly, just be yourself. When I interviewed, the person knew my personal statement, AMCAS, and secondaries inside and out and just asked questions about my family and travel experiences. It's very conversational and laid-back, they just want to get to know you. Do NOT talk up how badly you want to be a primary care doctor/family medicine 4 lyfe/etc. if you honestly don't mean it; the faculty is EXTREMELY good at picking up on BS. That being said, know the mission statement of the school and come prepared with questions to ask your interviewer; asking questions make it seem like you're genuinely interested. The FSU College of Medicine is an amazing medical school where the professors know your name, where you get clinical/patient contact from day 1, and the COM has a reputation of having HAPPY medical students :) :) .....most of us anyways lol good luck!

First time applying this cycle. IS applicant 3.9 GPA 507 MCAT 3+ years research experience 1000s of hours of volunteer experience. At this point, Im having a lot of doubt I'm gonna get an II from this school this cycle (probably because I'm a gator lol). I have worked as a scribe this year, but it seems to be the case that this school prefers community volunteering (which I did for 4+ years) so I'm not sure how much this has improved my candidacy. Do you think sending an update would help my II chances?

Honestly, just be yourself. When I interviewed, the person knew my personal statement, AMCAS, and secondaries inside and out and just asked questions about my family and travel experiences. It's very conversational and laid-back, they just want to get to know you. Do NOT talk up how badly you want to be a primary care doctor/family medicine 4 lyfe/etc. if you honestly don't mean it; the faculty is EXTREMELY good at picking up on BS. That being said, know the mission statement of the school and come prepared with questions to ask your interviewer; asking questions make it seem like you're genuinely interested. The FSU College of Medicine is an amazing medical school where the professors know your name, where you get clinical/patient contact from day 1, and the COM has a reputation of having HAPPY medical students :) :) .....most of us anyways lol good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice! I'm not decided at all on what I want to go into so just gonna say I have an open mind. I'm excited to get on campus and take it all in!

First time applying this cycle. IS applicant 3.9 GPA 507 MCAT 3+ years research experience 1000s of hours of volunteer experience. At this point, Im having a lot of doubt I'm gonna get an II from this school this cycle (probably because I'm a gator lol). I have worked as a scribe this year, but it seems to be the case that this school prefers community volunteering (which I did for 4+ years) so I'm not sure how much this has improved my candidacy. Do you think sending an update would help my II chances?

I have lower stats than those but I have great ECs and I sent in an update last month, got an II this week. So I would do it. Got nothing to lose.

@cardzfan Did they send you a confirmation email of receiving your update? If so, around when did you send it? Thanks!

@cardzfan Did they send you a confirmation email of receiving your update? If so, around when did you send it? Thanks!

No actually, they were the only school that didn't say they put it in my file or anything. I send it early December

No actually, they were the only school that didn't say they put it in my file or anything. I send it early December

Mine has been hit or miss with an update confirmation. I have sent two and one was confirmed very quickly, the other took about 4 weeks and I sent a forward email on it asking for confirmation; it was around both holidays (thanksgiving / Christmas) so I think they were busy.

Congratulations! Don't forget to join the Facebook group!
I sent a couple of request to join the group, but it seems I have not been added. Yes I have accepted to COM a couple months ago. If you could help me out. Thanks

Did they give you any tough questions?

Be able to talk about healthcare topics/controversial topics in medicine and you should be okay. Besides that, it's really just getting to know you :)

[QUOTaE="ZoomX, post: 18539593, member: 801526"]Be able to talk about healthcare topics/controversial topics in medicine and you should be okay. Besides that, it's really just getting to know you :)[/QUOTE]

Okay awesome thanks!

I emailed the school 3 weeks ago but still haven't heard back, anyone else having issues?

What were you emailing them about?

If they got the extra LOR i sent in on AMCAS because I called and they said if we don't email to tell them, they won't download it from the portal. Also to see if they got the letter on current activities.

If they got the extra LOR i sent in on AMCAS because I called and they said if we don't email to tell them, they won't download it from the portal. Also to see if they got the letter on current activities.

I would think they've seen it. I'd maybe call admissions to double check

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I use to frequent the forums a lot but lately I've been MIA lol. Anyways, I'm a current student and I'll be one of the anatomy TAs this summer :) let me know if you have any questions and congrats to those who have been accepted! FSU COM is really an amazing place to be a student.

I interviewed here and loved the program, unfortunately I was put on hold :( Do you know if it is common for applicants to be put on hold after an interview and if I have a high chance of getting accepted?

Also, how did you feel about starting classes during the summer and how intense are those weeks?

Thanks!

I sent a couple of request to join the group, but it seems I have not been added. Yes I have accepted to COM a couple months ago. If you could help me out. Thanks
Same they have not added me yet.

Withdrawing my acceptance! Hope one of ya'll gets it.

Reactions: 6 users
Same they have not added me yet.

I just checked the fb page and there are no requests. Are you requesting the right page? FSU College of Medicine Class of 2021?

I just checked the fb page and there are no requests. Are you requesting the right page? FSU College of Medicine Class of 2021?
Yes I believe so. Could you private message me the page? It says request pending.

Approximately how many questions are asked during an interview?

Ok, would you consider a 507 MCAT and 3.90 GPA to be competitive at FSU for a white male IS applicant with mediocre ECs.