2016-2017 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any advice on the interview? Were any ethical questions asked?

I would suggest reading The Medical School Interview, by Samir Dasei. It is filled with all types of interview questions, including both ethical and personal q's and a's. FSU's interview is very laid back and conversational. But they still are looking for traits and characteristics that would potentially make you a good doctor.

I would not recommend memorizing your answers verbatim. I would try to practice answering potential questions in the mirror, with friends, or an advisor. This way you can emphasize on key words and clearly get your message across when the opportunity arises.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted last week!!! This feels so good especially as a reapplicant! Class of 2021!

Reactions: 13 users
Accepted last week!!! This feels so good especially as a reapplicant! Class of 2021!

Go Noles! Congrats!
Do you mind sharing your GPA and MCAT?
Are you URM or IS....still hoping for an II....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it typically take to receive a decision after interviewing here??

Congrats! When you say try sending an update because it helped you, do you mean pre or post interview?
I sent one post interview, but I know someone who got an interview soon after sending an update and was later accepted. They are very friendly and I think they take them into account.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since FSU has an early start does that mean that there is typically less movement on their waitlist? Or does it not really interfere?

This question might have already been previously answered but how do we join the Facebook group if we've been accepted?
Search for it on Facebook and request to be added; somebody will add you eventually.
Since FSU has an early start does that mean that there is typically less movement on their waitlist? Or does it not really interfere?
You'll start to see wait-list movement later this month as people who hold multiple acceptances will start to narrow down their choices. However, if you take a look at the acceptance-to-matriculated data for FSU, you'll see that FSU doesn't interview 300 people for a 120 class, they stick to about 140-150 interviews and when they send out acceptances people tend to matriculate.
Congrats, I look forward to teaching you this summer :)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone still waiting on a II from here? Completed since August and haven't heard anything :/

Is it crazy to hope to still get an II from FSU? IS complete in november, haven't heard anything. Does anyone know when in April they stop interviewing? I assume the last II can't go out later than 2 weeks before their last date.

Is it crazy to hope to still get an II from FSU? IS complete in november, haven't heard anything. Does anyone know when in April they stop interviewing? I assume the last II can't go out later than 2 weeks before their last date.
If you look at the threads from the last two cycles, people were still getting II from this time to even around April 2nd or so. If it's the same as the last two cycles then there's still a good month of II left to give out.

Reactions: 6 users
The only thing I want for my birthday is an II from FSU. Seeing as I'll be 24 in mid-April, an acceptance is far fetched but would be the best birthday gift of my life.

Reactions: 3 users
Word from the other side:

"We put your application status as "Under Review," so that we can search for completed files through this filter and it is also the last action that we as Admissions Associates take on your application. No other action is taken until the Admissions Committee decides on whether or not they want to interview you. Your online status will not change until a decision is made on your application. If you are chosen to interview with us, you will be notified via email. I assure you that they are working their way through the applications as swiftly as possible.

We interview and offer acceptances through the end of April. We have a rolling admissions process, so there is no set time frame as to when a decision may be made on your application. Also, we will accept any and all updates that you may have (via email) that could further strengthen your application. I hope this information helps you!

Have a wonderful day!

Davalda Bellot
Admissions Officer
FSU College of Medicine"

I emailed them and they emailed back within the hour.

Their Admissions department is horrible when it comes to responding. Ive sent multiple emails and tried to call, with no response.

Their Admissions department is horrible when it comes to responding. I've sent multiple emails and tried to call, with no response.
I don't think that was Davalda who posted, it was someone quoting her. I would try emailing [email protected], they are very prompt in their responses

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if FSU has a minimum MCAT or minimum GPA requirement for early decision?

Does anyone know if FSU has a minimum MCAT or minimum GPA requirement for early decision?
When I applied it was >30 MCAT and >3.8 GPA for ED. Not sure what the stats are now

II! Just to let you guys know that they scheduled around the end of this month. I believe they go into mid april but they do let you know a little bit in advance. If anyone has advice please let me know.

Don't give up just yet!

Reactions: 6 users
II! Just to let you guys know that they scheduled around the end of this month. I believe they go into mid april but they do let you know a little bit in advance. If anyone has advice please let me know.

Don't give up just yet!
Stats/complete? Congrats!

Don't give up just yet!
CONGRATS! Around what time did you get the interview email today?

I was complete in August and stats above the avg for the school. But as everyone mentions, that's only a part of what they are looking for. And my email was in the morning time!

Thanks guys!

Are IIs still being sent out? At application is under review stage since July. IS

Are IIs still being sent out? At application is under review stage since July. IS
To my understanding, IIs are sent out till the end of April and many people have also been accepted from IIs that late

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone who was waitlisted, have you received a no or an acceptance, or really anything else? I know the deadline is April 30th nationally to release multiple acceptances. Just getting antsy and hopeful (and anxious) about waitlist movement.

Anyone who was waitlisted, have you received a no or an acceptance, or really anything else? I know the deadline is April 30th nationally to release multiple acceptances. Just getting antsy and hopeful (and anxious) about waitlist movement.

Just radio silence..

I'm trying to decide between FSU and another school. I absolutely fell in love with FSU and I'm pretty sure it is my top choice, however, I am extremely interested in getting my MPH while in medical school. I know that FSU does not outwardly offer dual-degrees, but can any current students or admin comment on if it is possible to arrange obtaining a MPH degree through a path similar to dual-degree?

I'm trying to decide between FSU and another school. I absolutely fell in love with FSU and I'm pretty sure it is my top choice, however, I am extremely interested in getting my MPH while in medical school. I know that FSU does not outwardly offer dual-degrees, but can any current students or admin comment on if it is possible to arrange obtaining a MPH degree through a path similar to dual-degree?

I do not have any information about trying to do something similar to dual-degree while in med school. But I can comment on the MPH program at FSU. It is small, but its great! I am finishing my MPH this semester at FSU. The faculty and staff for the program are extremely accommodating and knowledgeable. I have really enjoyed my experience. I would contact Dr. Alan Rowan, faculty in the MPH program, he might be able to give some insight if they have had any students do that in the past.

Is the curriculum integrated or normal then abnormal? Website is confusing. Calendar looks like integrated but student handbook says normal then abnormal. What??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I do not have any information about trying to do something similar to dual-degree while in med school. But I can comment on the MPH program at FSU. It is small, but its great! I am finishing my MPH this semester at FSU. The faculty and staff for the program are extremely accommodating and knowledgeable. I have really enjoyed my experience. I would contact Dr. Alan Rowan, faculty in the MPH program, he might be able to give some insight if they have had any students do that in the past.

Thank you so much! I will definitely reach out to him.

Does anyone know the last interview day?
Also, can anyone speak to the effectiveness of a masters vs another year of work, research and volunteering? (Specifically looking into USF's medical sciences program and FIU's certificate program due to being FL resident)

Does anyone know the last interview day?
Also, can anyone speak to the effectiveness of a masters vs another year of work, research and volunteering? (Specifically looking into USF's medical sciences program and FIU's certificate program due to being FL resident)
I am assuming that the last day is April 28th, since my complete email states that interviews will be held until the end of April on Mondays and Fridays.