2016-2017 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea I would say that's competitive. And for the interview, you have two different ones and they just kinda talk through application and ask to elaborate on various parts of it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea I would say that's competitive. And for the interview, you have two different ones and they just kinda talk through application and ask to elaborate on various parts of it

I thought so as well but I haven't heard anything since September. Also I have had no II yet anywhere. I guess DO it is.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought so as well but I haven't heard anything since September. Also I have had no II yet anywhere. I guess DO it is.
The cycle isn't over until it's over. The doctor I'm currently shadowing only got 1 II in April back when she was applying to MD school, and she got in. Here's to hoping that we get some luck in the next few months of this cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The cycle isn't over until it's over. The doctor I'm currently shadowing only got 1 II in April back when she was applying to MD school, and she got in. Here's to hoping that we get some luck in the next few months of this cycle.
Amen to that

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! I was complete 8/25. Non-trad, undergrad gpa: 3.5, graduate gpa: 3.8, MCAT <500.

Edit: Also, IS.

Last edited:
Is it too late to send an update letter/letter of intent to FSU? I know they don't have the option on the application page, but I can e-mail them?

Is it too late to send an update letter/letter of intent to FSU?
Go for it. I think FSU interviews until mid-April. I'm also working on a LOI for FSU. In any case, it can't hurt you.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I was complete 8/25. Non-trad, undergrad gpa: 3.5, graduate gpa: 3.8, MCAT <500.

Edit: Also, IS.
I have the around the exact stats as you but complete back on 7/22 :/ any advice?

Yes please, any advice; IS, URM, UGPA; 3.9, MCAT 508, Volunteer and Clinical work, Research, Good LOR, Updates sent....
Still hoping for an II...

Last edited:
Yes please, any advise; IS, URM, UGPA; 3.9, MCAT 508, Volunteer and Clinical work, Research, Good LOR, Updates sent....
Still hoping for an II...

When did you fill out your secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had been under review since August, filled out secondary within couple of weeks after receiving it...updated in December and January. Suggestions are welcome....

Last edited:
As far as advice goes...don't give up hope. Don't be discouraged by a weak area of your app. You are more than your MCAT score/gpa. I just made sure to emphasize that in my app. And if you are granted an interview make sure you rock it, show them you will make an awesome physician despite what many may see as a flaw.

Last edited:
Recently accepted, but the acceptance letter says that my offer is contingent on completion of the master's program I am currently enrolled in. However, since they start in June I won't be able to finish it (was planning on finishing the last two classes mid June). This came up in the interview, but they didn't seem too concerned about it. Anyone in a similar boat and know if it will affect the acceptance offer? Thanks!

Recently accepted, but the acceptance letter says that my offer is contingent on completion of the master's program I am currently enrolled in. However, since they start in June I won't be able to finish it (was planning on finishing the last two classes mid June). This came up in the interview, but they didn't seem too concerned about it. Anyone in a similar boat and know if it will affect the acceptance offer? Thanks!
I don't think they will care much but it won't hurt to ask how the process will go. You should also discuss the options with your program in finishing.

Waitlisted. Interviewed 1/30. Thought things went pretty well. Hoping for some waitlist movement.

Has anyone found out how rejections work at FSU? My application has been sitting since September and I haven't heard anything back. I may be just be letting my nerves get the best of me. I don't know how to accurately interpret the silence though. I have updated twice. Once with my final graduate GPA and another detailing a big project that I am working on for my community.

I completed my secondary app in August. Do I still have any hope? Any suggestions on what to do?

Talk about being positive. For that alone, you deserve an interview invite. Good luck!!! I'm still patiently waiting. Last year, I was interviewed at this school. So as you can guess I was waitlisted and subsequently rejected. Even tho I was accepted to medical school, I decided to retake the mcat to increase my chances and hopefully get another chance from them. Do not know if they offer re-applicants another chance, specially if that person was interviewed during a previous cycle. I guess I will find out in the next few months.

Let's keep it going.

I interviewed here and loved the program, unfortunately I was put on hold :( Do you know if it is common for applicants to be put on hold after an interview and if I have a high chance of getting accepted?

Also, how did you feel about starting classes during the summer and how intense are those weeks?

Thanks!

A few people get accepted off the wait/hold list every year; stay optimistic! My friend who matched into derm a few years ago got into FSU COM the day before orientation. It's truly not over till it's over!

As for the summer, I loved doing medicine I (anatomy/embryo/intro to histology/intro to radiology) over the summer. It's really intense but it really lays the foundation for you to build your knowledge base. In addition, the white coat ceremony is at the end of the summer term and at the ceremony you feel like you've really accomplished something and it makes getting your coat that much sweeter. I honestly couldn't see myself at any other medical school; FSU COM is an amazing school.

A few people get accepted off the wait/hold list every year; stay optimistic! My friend who matched into derm a few years ago got into FSU COM the day before orientation. It's truly not over till it's over!

This gives me hope!

Talk about being positive. For that alone, you deserve an interview invite. Good luck!!! I'm still patiently waiting. Last year, I was interviewed at this school. So as you can guess I was waitlisted and subsequently rejected. Even tho I was accepted to medical school, I decided to retake the mcat to increase my chances and hopefully get another chance from them. Do not know if they offer re-applicants another chance, specially if that person was interviewed during a previous cycle. I guess I will find out in the next few months.

Let's keep it going.
FSU COM loves re-applicants; it really reaffirms your commitment to the school. I know quite a few people in the class of 2021 who didn't get in the first time and got in rather quickly post-interview pt. II. They do; however, want to see that you've done something constructive on your year off. Good luck!

As for the summer, I loved doing medicine I (anatomy/embryo/intro to histology/intro to radiology) over the summer. It's really intense but it really lays the foundation for you to build your knowledge base. In addition, the white coat ceremony is at the end of the summer term and at the ceremony you feel like you've really accomplished something and it makes getting your coat that much sweeter. I honestly couldn't see myself at any other medical school; FSU COM is an amazing school.

Do you know if medicine 1 over the summer will still have this same composition under the new curriculum? I wasn't able to find any detailed information about what we study so I'm just curious. Can't wait to get started in May! :)

FSU COM loves re-applicants; it really reaffirms your commitment to the school. I know quite a few people in the class of 2021 who didn't get in the first time and got in rather quickly post-interview pt. II. They do; however, want to see that you've done something constructive on your year off. Good luck!
I'm a re applicant and FSU alum. GPA is competitive but MCAT not so much. I do have all the extra curriculars FSU is looking for but I've been complete since July and haven't heard back yet.. I've sent a few update letters but nothing has worked.. any advice?

I'm a re applicant and FSU alum. GPA is competitive but MCAT not so much. I do have all the extra curriculars FSU is looking for but I've been complete since July and haven't heard back yet.. I've sent a few update letters but nothing has worked.. any advice?
I'm on the same boat as you except I haven't sent any update letters.

That's why I'm still hopeful. Since last cycle, I have finished the research project I was working on, currently working as a substitute teacher and at a nursing home and volunteering in m community. I have done almost everything required to assemble a strong app. There are few things I wish I could have done that I did not do (such as a mission trip or something like that, but how do you do that when you are broke and need to work full time to pay your bills). I've gotten couple of interviews at other Florida schools (about to hear back from them), but man, the day of my interview at FSU I realized why this is such a great school. The air felt as thin as what it might feel like when you are flying 36,000 feet above sea level. Everyone seemed so peaceful and in complete harmony. You could have dropped a needle and heard it all the way across the hallway.

Do you know if medicine 1 over the summer will still have this same composition under the new curriculum? I wasn't able to find any detailed information about what we study so I'm just curious. Can't wait to get started in May! :)

Medicine I will 99% be the same as it was for us last year. The intro to histology and radiology WILL comes in handy as you proceed onto other blocks so I highly recommend you don't put it on the backburner; learn as much as you can. There is also the doctoring component to Medicine I which is your foundation to patient interaction. FSU COM is unique in the sense that you get patient contact on day 1. Fair warning: Medicine I is a grind; you will put in A LOT of hours in lab, some of your classmates will cry (and that's OKAY!), but in the end you'll be amazed how much you learned in a short summer and you will push yourself harder than ever to earn that white coat in August; I'm excited to share it with you guys this year as your TA. :) :) :) Feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

That's why I'm still hopeful. Since last cycle, I have finished the research project I was working on, currently working as a substitute teacher and at a nursing home and volunteering in m community. I have done almost everything required to assemble a strong app. There are few things I wish I could have done that I did not do (such as a mission trip or something like that, but how do you do that when you are broke and need to work full time to pay your bills). I've gotten couple of interviews at other Florida schools (about to hear back from them), but man, the day of my interview at FSU I realized why this is such a great school. The air felt as thin as what it might feel like when you are flying 36,000 feet above sea level. Everyone seemed so peaceful and in complete harmony. You could have dropped a needle and heard it all the way across the hallway.
That's great to hear and I'm sure your app was strong. And yeah, you're 100% right about FSU COM. The school has a reputation for producing "happy" medical students and (most of us) are incredibly happy here. Stay optimistic!

The only thing I can say is stay positive! You might consider calling about your status but I'm not 100% about that. Did you interview last year? What has changed for you from last year to this year?

The only thing I can say is stay positive! You might consider calling about your status but I'm not 100% about that. Did you interview last year? What has changed for you from last year to this year?
No I did not. My MCAT improved by 9 points (still average percentile though), and I've been scribing so I've gained so much more shadowing hours than what I applied with last year

Does anybody know how I can submit my update letter?

Does anybody know how I can submit my update letter?
I don't know the email address off the top of my head but you can email to the admissions email address. It may be listed on the website

I've come to realize that you can never count yourself out at FSU. I think it's one of the few schools I know where people think they have no chance and they get surprised and people who think they are a shoe-in for FSU don't get their foot in the door. I love that my home institution takes the time to really look at who the student is aside from what numbers they can contribute to stats.

What do you recommend including in the update letter? Something along the lines of grades from last semester and what I've done since I completed my app in September?

Hi @phenamanlphysician, grades and recent endeavors are definitely things to include in your update letter to the admissions committee. I would also write a small blurb specifically explaining how these things are preparing you to be an even more successful medical student and eventually a physician who will one day make the FSU COM very proud. Let me know if you need more help writing your update letter!

Hi @phenamanlphysician, grades and recent endeavors are definitely things to include in your update letter to the admissions committee. I would also write a small blurb specifically explaining how these things are preparing you to be an even more successful medical student and eventually a physician who will one day make the FSU COM very proud. Let me know if you need more help writing your update letter!

Thank you very much! I will draft an update letter today. Would you mind proof reading it for me?

I would be happy to proofread your draft. Just PM whenever it's ready : )

Can I jump on that train of being reviewed? And also if I interviewed 1/30 and am on hold when do you think would be a good time to send an update?

Can I jump on that train of being reviewed? And also if I interviewed 1/30 and am on hold when do you think would be a good time to send an update?

Send 'em over : ) If you have done anything that would encourage the admissions committee to consider you as a more competitive applicant, then I would go ahead and submit an update letter.

Any advice on the interview? Were any ethical questions asked?

Any advice on the interview? Were any ethical questions asked?

It's my opinion that it varies depending on who you have as your interviewer (one of mine had difficult pre-written questions and the other was 100% conversational). That being said, I think the best advice anyone can give you is to just remember to stay calm and be yourself on interview day. You really never know who is going to be on the other side of the table and what their interview style is, but you do know who you are as an applicant and why you applied to this school- this is your opportunity to show them. :) Good luck!

As far as advice goes...don't give up hope. Don't be discouraged by a weak area of your app. You are more than your MCAT score/gpa. I just made sure to emphasize that in my app. And if you are granted an interview make sure you rock it, show them you will make an awesome physician despite what many may see as a flaw.

Do you have rural experience / have you ever lived in a rural area ?

This question might have already been previously answered but how do we join the Facebook group if we've been accepted?

Received an II yesterday! Will be declining, as I have chosen to attend another school.

Complete mid-late August, OOS (with very strong ties to FL and FSU), stats below. Hope the II goes to one of you!