2016-2017 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the last interview day?
Also, can anyone speak to the effectiveness of a masters vs another year of work, research and volunteering? (Specifically looking into USF's medical sciences program and FIU's certificate program due to being FL resident)
I am also interested in knowing the benefits of both of these programs

Members don't see this ad.

Also, can anyone speak to the effectiveness of a masters vs another year of work, research and volunteering? (Specifically looking into USF's medical sciences program and FIU's certificate program due to being FL resident)

I am also interested in knowing the benefits of both of these programs

I was in the USF program last academic year (2015-2016), and it was well worth the investment. What I liked most about it was that they made everything relevant to medicine, which is not something you traditionally get with an undergrad education. Plus it definitely prepared me for retaking the MCAT. A lot of what you learn is on the MCAT passages. A lot of med schools are impressed with the program. While I haven't received an MD II, I received 4 DO II.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in the USF program last academic year (2015-2016), and it was well worth the investment. What I liked most about it was that they made everything relevant to medicine, which is not something you traditionally get with an undergrad education. Plus it definitely prepared me for retaking the MCAT. A lot of what you learn is on the MCAT passages. A lot of med schools are impressed with the program. While I haven't received an MD II, I received 4 DO II.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback and congrats on the interviews. Did you apply the summer before you started the program or after you completed it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback and congrats on the interviews. Did you apply the summer before you started the program or after you completed it?

I applied after I completed it, because I wanted to show med schools my grades (ie show them I can handle med school classes), but I know quite a few people who applied the summer before starting.

I graduated from USF's MSMS program in August and applied in September.
Interviewed at FAU for MD and UCF MD/PhD. Waitlisted at both. Interview next week at USF for MD.

Still silence from FSU...

For someone who has been waitlisted, what do you think is the max amount of updates that should be sent post-interview? 1, 2, 3? This is assuming that each update is substantial and meaningful and not just reaffirming my desire to attend FSU.

Basically, I already sent an update in January about a new job that I started since my interview. And now I am wondering if I should send another update with a letter of recommendation from my new supervisor, or if that is overkill?

Placed on the waitlist, interviewed a week and a half ago. I have a question similar to the above post, but also was wondering if anyone knew how their process for contacting people off the wait-list works.

So hypothetical situation: You get a call from FSUCOM, trying to notify you that you have been selected to be pulled off the wait-list, but it's the day before classes start? Let's say you are out of town, and can't pick up the phone, would they immediately move onto the next person on the wait list or would they give you time to call back? I'm not trying to be paranoid, but I would hate to miss out on this opportunity just because I wasn't near my phone that day.

Another question: along with a phone call would they send an e-mail out with your acceptance, if it was the days leading up to the orientation?

Is the curriculum integrated or normal then abnormal? Website is confusing. Calendar looks like integrated but student handbook says normal then abnormal. What??
It's all integrated into blocks. Over the summer the block is Medicine I which comprises: anatomy, embryology, histology, radiology, and doctoring. In the fall begins: Medicine II (biochem), Host Defense (immuno), and ANS/Reproductive/Endocrine. In the spring: GI, Renal, and Cardio/Pulm. In every block there's also the doctoring component in the Clinical Learning Center and community preceptorship with a doctor in the Tallahassee area.
A fair amount of people at FSU COM did the USF masters program and it is looked upon favorably. My friends that graduated from the program have all said that the USF program prepared them well for the rigors of medical school; however, you'll get out what you put into it.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know when they typically stop giving out II?

Anyone know when they typically stop giving out II?
Just spoke with someone in admissions and was told the last interview date is April 24th so he thinks anytime before that date is still open for II. That's all I got but at least it's something!

Reactions: 6 users
II! Anyone got an interview advice or tips they can give me? It's on April 10th

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email, Lizzy M is 65 and complete date was 10-20-16. Pretty good LORs, extracurriculars, took a year off and currently working as a medical scribe.

Reactions: 2 users
I got an email, Lizzy M is 65 and complete date was 10-20-16. Pretty good LORs, extracurriculars, took a year off and currently working as a medical scribe.
What MCAT and GPA ( if you don't mind me asking ) and congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, soon-to-be M3 here. Ask any questions you can think of! Go Noles!

Chances I can still get an II here? I've sent in about 3 updates throughout the past 2 months, with no response. Application is still "under review".

Stats - 3.9 GPA, 507 MCAT, 3+ years research, 1000+ volunteer hours; graduated in May 2016 and have been scribing for the past year; also IS

Can any students comment on their experiences here? Have heard good things but would like some more feedback if possible.

Chances I can still get an II here? I've sent in about 3 updates throughout the past 2 months, with no response. Application is still "under review".

Stats - 3.9 GPA, 507 MCAT, 3+ years research, 1000+ volunteer hours; graduated in May 2016 and have been scribing for the past year; also IS

Maybe they take exception to your screen name? :shrug:

Jk lol.... I'm a passionate (perhaps the most passionate) Gator and applied here too.

Just curious, does anyone know if the April interview dates are only for the waitlist?

Same question as Future_95. Still excited but can't help but think maybe we are interviewing for the WL. Also any tips for the interview?

I apologize if you already posted something about this. Do you know how big the waitlist usually is? And how many they typically pull each year? I know it is different each year. I am just looking for a ballpark figure to see if I have any chance in heck of getting off of it this year.

Just got the axe from the post-interview wait list, so if you're still stuck on the wait list, that's good news for you

Just got the axe from the post-interview wait list, so if you're still stuck on the wait list, that's good news for you

+1 here. Can't believe they didn't even wait to see how much waitlist movement there would be before doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Maybe they take exception to your screen name? :shrug:

Jk lol.... I'm a passionate (perhaps the most passionate) Gator and applied here too.

I guess we will find out lol. Just received an II from then

Reactions: 4 users
To those asking for a recall of personal experience, what specifically are you looking for?

What would you like to know? Anything specific?
Got a few questions.
1. How long does it take to hear back after an interview?
2. Do students who interview this late actually get accepted?
3. What is the summer semester like?
Thanks!

how long after the interview do you find out about acceptances?

AGatorForever is right. Its about 2 weeks, unless you're among the lucky few to interview the week before winter break, they give the answer at the end of the week because they don't want to have you wait winter break.
As for how summer semester works I can recall a bit: It starts the last week of May/first week of June. The first two days are orientation, getting introduced to the staff, getting acclimated to the atmosphere, getting to know your class mates, scavenger hunt, etc. The first Friday you guys go on a rural excursion to a place like Bonifay or Quincy to see what the mission of the school focuses on. After that, and current M2s feel free to echo this: in my year they had a class called "Values and Virtues" where the first 1.5 weeks was mainly just talking about ethics and being patient centered. Now, I think they may have mixed in into the whole summer. So after that, you start Anatomy. Anatomy is taught by Dr. Laywell. Awesome guy, super chill and hilarious to boot. Anatomy is very fun. But it is also very hard. It is incredibly compressed because most schools have anatomy over a year or several months but for us it is just 3. Also, there is like 1 embryology lecture a week. Also also, a grand rounds each week, usually on a Friday. In addition, there is also CLC, the clinical component to your curriculum. You start off the first week seeing patients, they mean that. But for the first week, maybe even first two weeks, it is just washing your hands and doing your intro, "Hi my name is ___ and I'm a first year med student...blah blah blah" which is incredibly important but becomes second nature after the first several weeks. The head of the CLC is Mrs. Danforth, she is like the nicest person I've ever met. She bends over backwards for us, and she is so understanding. She is so sweet and will help you in any way that she can. The way that the CLC is structured is usually pretty logical: it usually has something to do with the anatomy you're learning this week or did learn last week: for example- our week 4 was thorax and lungs in the anatomy lab, and in the CLC it was the lung exam. On Tuesday you practice the exam of the week on each other with faculty in the room. On Wednesday you practice on a standardized patient in front of faculty. On Thursday, you go in by yourself and perform the exam on a standardized patient. No faculty. You are watched through cameras and one way mirrors during the encounter. The faculty comes in after you're done and tells you their feedback and, depending on your performance, whether or not you have to do it again on Friday. You go to lecture for about 3 hours a day, and lab Monday-Thursday but you only actually dissect 2 of those 4 days, the other 2 are prosection where you watch the TA's explain the dissection of the other groups. They added another component to the course which I applaud greatly, I wish we would have had it- radiology. Each week or so Laywell has a lecture on radiology. This helps a lot because of the structure of the practical exams. Ok so the exams: 3 in total- each divided into a computerized multiple choice exam and a practical exam down in the lab. The computerized exam is usually around 80 questions and consists of multiple choice questions, divided into clinical questions from CLC, clinical questions from the professors, and anatomical and embryological questions, as well as some ethics questions. The units are divided into 3 chunks: Musckuloskeletal (upper/lower extremities, bones, muscles, etc,) Head/Neck/Neuro/Cardio/Respiratory [Thorax and Head/neck\] and Abdomen/GU. The practical exams work like this: the TA's (the 25 now second years that are going to help Dr Laywell in the lab and Danforth in the CLC) write the questions and are approved by Laywell. They are fill in the blank. There are 25 bodies. 20 that the students work on, and 5 prosection/faculty bodies. Each body has 2 tags on it. The tags wrap around a muscle, nerve, artery, vein, or dry bone structure. The questions could be as simple as identifying the structure, or something as involved as the artery that supplies the tagged structure, or the muscles that are innervated by the nerve that innervates the tag, etc. There are 60 total questions, 50 are on those 25 bodies. You have 30 seconds per question, 2 questions per body. 10 questions are what are called Rad-Sim, which are CTs, MRI's, Xrays, etc. Again, fill in the blank.

Reactions: 6 users
When do they stop interviewing?

I called the admissions office and was told that if we don't get an interview invite by 4/21 (next Friday), we will be getting a rejection email.

I called the admissions office and was told that if we don't get an interview invite by 4/21 (next Friday), we will be getting a rejection email.
Ah, thank you!

+1 here. Can't believe they didn't even wait to see how much waitlist movement there would be before doing this.

Yeah, I completely agree. It sure took me by surprise. Do you hold another acceptance somewhere?

Yeah, I completely agree. It sure took me by surprise. Do you hold another acceptance somewhere?

I have a DO acceptance and am on another MD waitlist. But this was my top choice and initially felt really good about my chances.

I have a DO acceptance and am on another MD waitlist. But this was my top choice and initially felt really good about my chances.

In a similar position. Hey, at least we're in somewhere. Still pretty bummed, I'm sure you feel the same

In a similar position. Hey, at least we're in somewhere. Still pretty bummed, I'm sure you feel the same

Yes definitely, I was looking forward to staying in Florida and actually excited for starting in the summer. Kinda depressed about it at the moment but trying to put it behind me lol. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

Does anyone know if they reject post-interview?

Got a few questions.
1. How long does it take to hear back after an interview?
2. Do students who interview this late actually get accepted?
3. What is the summer semester like?
Thanks!
1. I was accepted a few days after my interview, but I hear it can take up to 2 weeks.
2. Students who interview this late in the cycle typically don't get accepted. You're basically interviewing for a waitlist spot.
3. @SaxAppeal pretty much hit it on the head with what summer is like.

I will say that our summer was different then theirs in the sense that instead of "values and virtues" we had intro to histology and an actual radiology class. In a previous page I posted a detailed description about what summer was like for us:

"Medicine I will 99% be the same as it was for us last year. The intro to histology and radiology WILL comes in handy as you proceed onto other blocks so I highly recommend you don't put it on the back-burner; learn as much as you can. There is also the doctoring component to Medicine I which is your foundation to patient interaction. FSU COM is unique in the sense that you get patient contact on day 1. Fair warning: Medicine I is a grind; you will put in A LOT of hours in lab, some of your classmates will cry (and that's OKAY!), but in the end you'll be amazed how much you learned in a short summer and you will push yourself harder than ever to earn that white coat in August; I'm excited to share it with you guys this year as your TA."

Rejected today. IS. Columbia grad, so lower GPA but high MCAT. Was not expecting this... Complete 8/31.

interesting, how has your luck been with other florida schools?
FSU marks my 7th rejection from Florida MD schools, so no other FL schools are left. Currently at 26 rejections, so it's time to put Plan B into action and accept my SMP offer/send in the deposit. Best of luck to the rest of you.