2016-2017 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FSU marks my 7th rejection from Florida MD schools, so no other FL schools are left. Currently at 26 rejections, so it's time to put Plan B into action and accept my SMP offer/send in the deposit. Best of luck to the rest of you.

you didn't apply DO i presume?
From posts on this thread it looks like FSU seems to favor higher GPAs rather than higher MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

you didn't apply DO i presume?
From posts on this thread it looks like FSU seems to favor higher GPAs rather than higher MCAT.
No DO apps. I did get 2 interviews at MD schools in PR, attended 1 and turned down the other because, realistically, PR is too far away for me. Going to be a reapplicant for the 2017-2018 cycle.

Rejected today. 504/3.9. Rejected from all Florida M.D. schools. Shocked more about this one than all the others.... Complete 8/10

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today. 504/3.9. Rejected from all Florida M.D. schools. Shocked more about this one than all the others.... Complete 8/10
Sorry about that. If anything, you seem over qualified for FL schools.

Rejected today. IS. Columbia grad, so lower GPA but high MCAT. Was not expecting this... Complete 8/31.
Did you have a lot of volunteering? Did your personal statement match their mission?

Pre-interview. Sent multiple updates and always received encouraging responses back. I feel like I was blindsided.
what were the encouraging responses like? if you dont mind me asking

Did you have a lot of volunteering? Did your personal statement match their mission?
~100 hours of volunteering at domestic violence shelter in Appalachia, ~70 hours of medical translating at free clinic, ~60 hours of shadowing a family physician who works with the Latino community and wrote multiple times in my PS/secondaries about how I wanted to pursue primary care.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be :(

So, if you didn't get a rejection today. Does that mean you still have a shot? lol

400 hours shadowing
80 hours clinical volunteering at Veteran's Hospital
40 hours community volunteering at Feeding America Food bank
Clinical research at hospital lab running Immunoglobulin Assays from patients.
Leadership as an officer in major official university sports club.
Lived abroad in high school and shadowed physicians in incredibly underserved areas.
Honors College student at my university and will be co-founding an entire university tract.

FSU has always been my #1 choice, and I am unbelievably depressed. I almost want to plead with them :(((( their average matriculation stats are 505 and 3.55. I thought I was a perfect fit! ;(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
what were the encouraging responses like? if you dont mind me asking
Mostly, around "Thank you for your continued interest in FSU COM! We appreciate your update and will consider it as we take your file into review." Maybe the responses weren't that encouraging, but the exclamation mark made it seem that they really liked me :(

400 hours shadowing
Lived abroad in high school and shadowed physicians in incredibly underserved areas.
Honors College student at my university and will be co-founding an entire university tract.

FSU has always been my #1 choice, and I am unbelievably depressed. I almost want to plead with them :(((( their average matriculation stats are 505 and 3.55. I thought I was a perfect fit! ;(
I personally know an MS-1 and MS-2 at FSU COM, and I can say that both of us are more qualified for med school than they are. One partied hard in undergrad and the other one was more concerned with marrying rich. Both come from $$$ families, though, and the MS-2 has 4 doctors in the family, so that might have played a role. How they haven't failed out already is a mystery to me.

And I know this is probably an unjustified attack, but I really feel like my world is ending today. This rejection was the icing on a terrible birthday.

I personally know an MS-1 and MS-2 at FSU COM, and I can say that both of us are more qualified for med school than they are. One partied hard in undergrad and the other one was more concerned with marrying rich. Both come from $$$ families, though, and the MS-2 has 4 doctors in the family, so that might have played a role. How they haven't failed out already is a mystery to me.

And I know this is probably an unjustified attack, but I really feel like my world is ending today. This rejection was the icing on a terrible birthday.

My father is a physician & an immigrant to the U.S. (went to U.S. residency). "I really feel like my world is ending today" - I COMPLETELY AGREE. Will be attending a top D.O. program in the fall, still absolutely grateful for that opportunity.

Reactions: 2 users
Stay encouraged! I know rejection letters are tough, it's hard not to take it personally. Life has a strange way of putting us right where we're supposed to be (which might not be where you thought you'd be). This coming from a 3rd time, Louisiana native, applicant who thought he'd be in at LSU New Orleans by now. But since then, I became a paramedic, been living in Florida and gained a lot of experienc that I wouldn't trade for those years.

Just Keep your head up, and continue to work hard, not just on improving your application, but on yourself. Be happy with how far you've come, and find a way to improve people, or patient's, lives either inside or outside of being a MS1 at FSU this year. I assure you eventually, with the right heart and perseverance you'll be just fine!

Reactions: 3 users
400 hours shadowing

Keep your head up, a fair amount of people in my class had strong stats but didn't get in on the first shot. Reapply & reapply early; FSU COM really notices and appreciates reapplicants. Don't let this discourage you, you will learn from this experience and you'll be stronger for the next cycle.

Keep your head up, a fair amount of people in my class had strong stats but didn't get in on the first shot. Reapply & reapply early; FSU COM really notices and appreciates reapplicants. Don't let this discourage you, you will learn from this experience and you'll be stronger for the next cycle.

I think taking the offer to a top 3 D.O. program is better than rolling the dice for this upcoming cycle right? I won't be able to reapply D.O. and while I did not apply anywhere outside the state of Florida this time around, I don't think any other institutions would consider me, even FSU, without an MCAT retake?? (which I'm not prepared for at this point), and would take some months of prep. So I would have to apply in the 2019-2020 cycle right?

Probably a ridiculous question, but does anyone know if FSU considers/accepts DO transfers?

Has anyone that interviewed late March or April been accepted? Or pulled off the hold list?

Reactions: 1 users
I think taking the offer to a top 3 D.O. program is better than rolling the dice for this upcoming cycle right? I won't be able to reapply D.O. and while I did not apply anywhere outside the state of Florida this time around, I don't think any other institutions would consider me, even FSU, without an MCAT retake?? (which I'm not prepared for at this point), and would take some months of prep. So I would have to apply in the 2019-2020 cycle right?
It all depends on what you want out of your education. If the DO program is more PBL and that's how you learn best, go with that. If you're an MD homer and want those letters behind your name, reapply allo next year. I will say I was in your situation not too long ago and the tuition/COA difference between MD/DO was enough for me to wait on an MD acceptance. For what it's worth, FSU COM stats are increasing significantly (the MSAR is kind of a crappy resource) and the school was ranked last year as one of most competitive medical schools to get into in the nation. A good friend of mine graduated ugrad with a 4.0 GPA and an equivalent of a 32 old MCAT and got denied from FSU COM the first time, she worked as an MA for her gap year, reapplied as soon as the app became available to submit, and got in within a week of her 2nd interview; nothing else changed on her app. I'm the biggest FSU COM homer so I'd say it's worth reapplying, but go with your heart.

Sorry if I missed it but: Did you interview at FSU this cycle? Are you from Florida? When were you complete this year? I will say that if you're not from Florida/no ties to the state, you'll have a hard time getting any love from FSU. Let me know if you have any questions

It all depends on what you want out of your education. If the DO program is more PBL and that's how you learn best, go with that. If you're an MD homer and want those letters behind your name, reapply allo next year. I will say I was in your situation not too long ago and the tuition/COA difference between MD/DO was enough for me to wait on an MD acceptance. For what it's worth, FSU COM stats are increasing significantly (the MSAR is kind of a crappy resource) and the school was ranked last year as one of most competitive medical schools to get into in the nation. A good friend of mine graduated ugrad with a 4.0 GPA and an equivalent of a 32 old MCAT and got denied from FSU COM the first time, she worked as an MA for her gap year, reapplied as soon as the app became available to submit, and got in within a week of her 2nd interview; nothing else changed on her app. I'm the biggest FSU COM homer so I'd say it's worth reapplying, but go with your heart.

Sorry if I missed it but: Did you interview at FSU this cycle? Are you from Florida? When were you complete this year? I will say that if you're not from Florida/no ties to the state, you'll have a hard time getting any love from FSU. Let me know if you have any questions

FL resident. Complete secondary first week of August, no interview at FSU.

one of most competitive medical schools to get into in the nation.

Keeping in mind it's one of the most competitive because of how selective they are of their applicants, not necessarily numbers.

I knew I was probably interviewing for the waitlist but they generally don't accept THAT many people off the waitlist. I say that because most people who get in end up going based on some stats they showed us. I wonder if they over accept the 120 number initially or they accept 120 exactly and then take off the waitlist as people drop/go elsewhere. @jac09 or @Saxappeal1 do you happen to know if they do? Just curious haha.

And if every single person from April and mid to late March is on the list (assuming they weren't rejected), then the list may be quite large. I know waitlist movement may happen this month to early May but seeing as school starts in May I feel as if there isn't much hope... UGH

Nole111 in my year they accepted 150, and 120 committed to the class. Then, 10-12 additional people join your class from the bridge class below. So a total class size of roughly 130

Probably a ridiculous question, but does anyone know if FSU considers/accepts DO transfers?

Why would anyone want to do this? But to answer your question, the answer is No. MD schools will not accept a transfer from a DO school. You would have to apply via AMCAS and come in as a M1 and none of your DO credits would transfer.

Take the DO acceptance 100% and don't look back. It's medical school, it won't make a difference where you go inside the USA MD or DO. At the end of the day, its about your own individual performance on boards/rotations. If you're concerned about residency, the merger in 2020 will most likely make that an argument of the past. I love FSU as much as the next guy but it's not worth the risk of reapplying/paying app fees/re-writing essays..etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Nole111 in my year they accepted 150, and 120 committed to the class. Then, 10-12 additional people join your class from the bridge class below. So a total class size of roughly 130

I wonder if that means they took off 30 from the waitlist. Thanks for the stats!!

Just over a month away until our first day! In light of that, I am starting to look into purchasing supplemental material. Does any M1/M2, or anyone else with some insight have any recommendations?

Does anyone know what days FSU typically sends out decisions? Interviewed last Monday and am getting anxious. Also I'm assuming acceptances are phone calls and WL/denials are through email?

Does anyone know what days FSU typically sends out decisions? Interviewed last Monday and am getting anxious. Also I'm assuming acceptances are phone calls and WL/denials are through email?

Typically 2 Fridays after your interview. Acceptances are sent via email as well. I received my notification around 4pm. But from what I heard, it could be at any point in the day.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Just over a month away until our first day! In light of that, I am starting to look into purchasing supplemental material. Does any M1/M2, or anyone else with some insight have any recommendations?

The majority of the books are available for free online through the COM Library Website. Books/Materials that I've purchased since school started include: First Aid Basic Sciences/Organ Systems, First Aid Step 1, Pathoma, and Physeo. Other students have purchased copies of Robbins Pathology, EKG Books, etc. You'll just have to see what works best for you once you get here....I wouldn't worry about it now if I were you. The only books you need for summer are Grants Dissector, some form of Anatomy textbook (i.e, Netters), and BRS Anatomy if you like practice questions (all of these are available online through the COM).

First Aid Organ Systems: Goes a little more in depth than First Aid Step 1. Pretty decent overall, but there wasn't really a need for it until we hit systems. Wait to get a good deal on Amazon if you decide to buy it.

First Aid: Wait until you get the chance to join the AMA in the fall and they'll send you the brand new edition of First Aid that comes out every year or just wait until the brand new edition comes out in December if you don't join AMA.

Pathoma: Worth it when it comes to Path, you won't really need it until half way through fall though.

Physeo: I just bought this because our school worked out a deal where we got an extreme discount. Works pretty well for some of the more complicated physio subjects (Renal, Pulm).

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed this past Monday and they said by the end of next week, so you may be getting a decision soon as well.

Interviewed last Monday as well! Wouldn't it make more sense if they sent out decisions after the end of the month since that is when they will get hear back from students regarding decisions and thus will have more of an idea of waitlist movement?

Interviewed last Monday as well! Wouldn't it make more sense if they sent out decisions after the end of the month since that is when they will get hear back from students regarding decisions and thus will have more of an idea of waitlist movement?
That's only assuming the people who have interviewed that day and since are interviewing only for a WL spot. From what I've heard, even though it's late in the cycle people can still get in. Their class isn't necessarily full yet. Also it would be pretty cruel to not tell us till after April 30th.

Last edited:
That's only assuming the people who have interviewed that day and since are interviewing only for a WL spot. From what I've heard, even though it's late in the cycle people can still get in. Their class isn't necessarily full yet. Also it would be pretty cruel to not tell us till after April 30th.

I've heard of a few cases where students have been accepted within 10 days of orientation. Why does that happen? Who the heck knows. Also, from what I've read and what the students told me during my interview day, if you are interviewing this late, it is more than likely for a waitlist spot. You are 100% correct in the fact that people do still get in this late in the cycle - there seems to be a few every cycle from what I've heard and one of my interviewers reiterated that to me. However, those people are typically accepted off the waitlist. Once again, this is all just what I've come to understand by reading through this forum/talking to peeps. Any current students/more knowledgeable people feel free to chime in on this :)

Does anyone know when the bridge committee meets?
The Bridge committee meets either this weekend or next but you won't find out if you're admitted into the program until 2 weeks before Memorial Day. If you were asked about Bridge during your interview and you're currently on the waitlist, then you're more-than-likely being considered. It's a quick turnaround, but Bridge is an AMAZING program and really prepares you well for medical school. The Bridge students are always some of the best/most motivated students on campus.

Officially rejected pre-interview...

Good luck to everyone that applied here!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The Bridge committee meets either this weekend or next but you won't find out if you're admitted into the program until 2 weeks before Memorial Day. If you were asked about Bridge during your interview and you're currently on the waitlist, then you're more-than-likely being considered. It's a quick turnaround, but Bridge is an AMAZING program and really prepares you well for medical school. The Bridge students are always some of the best/most motivated students on campus.

Thanks jac09!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile