2016-2017 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to bombard you but when were you complete?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Under Review by Admissions Committee on 8/19

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT: 507 cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.5
Omg, I have similar stats, and people on these dang threads told me to give up on the MD route because my MCAT was too low...thanks for posting, makes me think the people "giving advice" are pretentious tools

Reactions: 10 users
Omg, I have similar stats, and people on these dang threads told me to give up on the MD route because my MCAT was too low...thanks for posting, makes me think the people "giving advice" are pretentious tools
Same AF

Reactions: 4 users
Your scores could probably get you into an MD school if you have the extracurriculars and stuff, sorry about the "advice" :(.

Reactions: 1 user
How long after your interview were you given a decision? Just got an II today!
They were ED so they found out sooner. FSU can send out acceptances for regular decision starting October 15th

App under review since 8/24. Reading this thread gives me hope with my lowly Lizzy M of 61. IS and praying!

Dont listen to those people. I have similar stats (lower mcat actually) and was told to give up MD. I got an II today for FSU! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FSU alum, LizzyM 71, complete late August and nothing yet #WhereIsTheLove

How long does it take for FSU ADCOM to process LOE?
I submitted both my LOE and secondary on 8/27. But NO update.
Should I call them?

Dont listen to those people. I have similar stats (lower mcat actually) and was told to give up MD. I got an II today for FSU! Good luck!
Mind sharing a range? I'm holding onto hope for an interview here as well!

This is based on my personal opinion, but I would say MCAT > 500 and GPA > 3.5 is competitive. Remember that you can improve your chances with a well-written PS and demonstration of passion in your descriptions of EC's.

Are you RD or ED? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Has anyone applied with minimal community service hours... I have around 50 hours. Also, what do you believe are my chances with 507 MCAT, 3.93 science GPA, 3.91 overall GPA, hundreds of hours shadowing, research, internship, FL resident submitting secondary today.

I have very similar stats, a lower MCAT though, and received an interview invite a few days ago. My app was "Under Review by the Office of Admissions" on the 14th

Reactions: 2 users
M2 here, ready and willing to help everyone out. Go Noles!
Hey Saxappeal 1,
I recently applied to the FSU College of Medicine. I am an in-state hispanic applicant with an MCAT score of 503 and a GPA of 3.93. I have 2 research awards and I have attended 2 conferences. Overall I have about 1200 hours of Analytical Biochemistry research, 150 hours of shadowing, 500 community service, and I have TAed for Anatomy and physiology for about 3 semesters now (400 hours). Do you think I have a chance in this school or is my MCAT going to bring me down?

Thanks

Accepted! I received an email from Dana at 11:52 AM today.

ED Applicant
Secondary Received: 06/14/2016
Secondary Submitted: 06/24/2016
Application Complete: 06/25/2016
II: 08/26/2016
IA: 09/09/2016
Accepted: 09/15/2016

Hang in there guys and good luck!
What were your stats ??

I was just deferred from ED and put in the regular MD pool. My app was submitted on 7/21 and I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone have any advice for what I should do next, like regarding updating the school/sending a letter or asking to speaking with admissions? I'm not familiar with this process too much, any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I was just deferred from ED and put in the regular MD pool. My app was submitted on 7/21 and I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone have any advice for what I should do next, like regarding updating the school/sending a letter or asking to speaking with admissions? I'm not familiar with this process too much, any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I would definitely update the school with both a letter of why you want to attend their school and an updated list of activities. The list of activities should wait until later in the year after you've gathered enough experience, obviously. Meanwhile, I would definitely work on applications to other schools. As for academic records, if you're really set on it, you could re-take the MCAT and update them on the new score when you receive it. The GPA is difficult to raise in such a short period of time, unfortunately. I would refrain from speaking with admissions unless there's a question about the application (i.e. don't call asking why you were deferred). Hope this helps.

I don't think it would hurt to give Dana Urrutia a call and inquire about what your next step should be.

Hey Saxappeal 1,
I recently applied to the FSU College of Medicine. I am an in-state hispanic applicant with an MCAT score of 503 and a GPA of 3.93. I have 2 research awards and I have attended 2 conferences. Overall I have about 1200 hours of Analytical Biochemistry research, 150 hours of shadowing, 500 community service, and I have TAed for Anatomy and physiology for about 3 semesters now (400 hours). Do you think I have a chance in this school or is my MCAT going to bring me down?

Thanks

Your stats & ec's sound fine. If you have good LOR's & good essays then you stand just as good a chance as anyone else. If you haven't already submitted your secondary just make sure to write good meaningful essays and not the generic recycled stuff that lots of applicants use because bad essays can bring down the healthiest of stats. If you have any particular questions feel free to send me a message.

Your stats & ec's sound fine. If you have good LOR's & good essays then you stand just as good a chance as anyone else. If you haven't already submitted your secondary just make sure to write good meaningful essays and not the generic recycled stuff that lots of applicants use because bad essays can bring down the healthiest of stats. If you have any particular questions feel free to send me a message.

Thank you so much for responding. I was also wondering when it would be a good time to send an update? Is it okay to wait until the end of the semester? or do you think it would be too late?

Has FSU sent out any post-secondary rejections?

I don't think it would hurt to give Dana Urrutia a call and inquire about what your next step should be.
Thanks! So I'm an FSU alum.. I did ask someone else who helps on Admissions and she said she cannot give advice bc she is on the admissions committee. Should I still try with Dana?

Thanks! So I'm an FSU alum.. I did ask someone else who helps on Admissions and she said she cannot give advice bc she is on the admissions committee. Should I still try with Dana?

Yeah, I would. The worst that could happen is she tells you the same thing your friend did and so then you just ask who do you need to talk to get the info you're looking for.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Abraham Lincoln

Thank you so much for responding. I was also wondering when it would be a good time to send an update? Is it okay to wait until the end of the semester? or do you think it would be too late?

Depends on when you submitted and what you've accomplished since then. If you haven't done anything to add to your app or improve it significantly (increase in stats, mission trips, extracurriculars, etc.) then save the update until you do have a something to report. I know it doesn't seem like it, but the application cycle is a long tedious process so remember to be both persistent and patient throughout this ordeal.

505 MCAT
3.48 undergad GPA, 3.2 undergrad science, 3.78 graduate GPA (i did a masters program at USF)

505 MCAT
3.48 undergad GPA, 3.2 undergrad science, 3.78 graduate GPA (i did a masters program at USF)

What is your status on the FSU Portal ?

I've been under review since 7/21 and havent heard anything yet :/ anyone else or am I the only one? lol

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Saxappeal 1,

Thanks
So I dont think a 503 MCAT will bring you down, you seem to have a pretty balanced app otherwise! I think you have a great shot

So I dont think a 503 MCAT will bring you down, you seem to have a pretty balanced app otherwise! I think you have a great shot
Well, I've heard FSU really does a good review, so just because you have a low MCAT, doesn't mean you'll not be given a chance. Anyone else from experience know anything more?

My application has been under review since 9/19 and it currently says "No Status." Can anyone tell me what the next status would be? Will it be to get called for an interview? or am I going to get some type of update on the FSU portal?

Thanks