2016-2017 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any current med students here than can shed some light on what it's like to live in augusta? Also how good is MCG's facilities, faculty and curriculum?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten the secondary yet?

Every tab of the secondary features a lovely wall of text.

Apologies if this is a silly question, but I'm a little confused after receiving the secondary application from MCG today:

Shouldn't I receive it after my AMCAS primary was processed? And I double checked; it's still awaiting verification.

dateposted-public

I am just reading into these questions too much? I was born, raised, and attended college in Georgia. Should I be putting "N/A" for these questions or replying like I did in here:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
dateposted-public

I am just reading into these questions too much? I was born, raised, and attended college in Georgia. Should I be putting "N/A" for these questions or replying like I did in here:

If I am not mistaken, last year when I filled that part out I just put that it was my birthplace. So basically what you put is fine, though I would probably ditch the sassy question mark.

Do you have to have a GA drivers license to be considered in-state? I'm a resident but have been going to school out of state long enough that I got a DL from that state (Georgia wouldn't let me renew absentee).

Does this school screen? I applied here but haven't received a secondary.

If I am not mistaken, last year when I filled that part out I just put that it was my birthplace. So basically what you put is fine, though I would probably ditch the sassy question mark.
lololz, of course! ;)
Do you have to have a GA drivers license to be considered in-state? I'm a resident but have been going to school out of state long enough that I got a DL from that state (Georgia wouldn't let me renew absentee).
not sure about that... MCG probably answers this somewhere in the mass of instructions on their secondary :O

Reactions: 1 users
Is it just me having a brain freeze or should this say 2016-2017. I'm graduating May 2017 so I won't be a student then, but I'm not going to have a job cause I'll (hopefully) be in med school???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 12.48.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 12.48.03 PM.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 107
I'm surprised it didn't ask for my soul. Holy moly this secondary is invasive.

I'm surprised it didn't ask for my soul. Holy moly this secondary is invasive.

Most ridiculous one I've done yet. I'm still kinda freaking out because according to the documents they use for their criteria I'm halfway a non-resident of GA (despite spending my whole young life there). I'm a non-trad who took 6 years to get an undergraduate degree and so my DL, vehicle registration and voter reg is in a different state.

Is it just me having a brain freeze or should this say 2016-2017. I'm graduating May 2017 so I won't be a student then, but I'm not going to have a job cause I'll (hopefully) be in med school???
saw this too. I think it is a typo. I am calling admissions about it this week.

For the prompt about "unusual factors or other information" would it be appropriate to address one poor grade (in a science class) that obviously stands out on my transcript? The prompt specifically mentions academic unevenness but I also don't want to seem whiny addressing just one grade

^ I thought about that too for a C+, but I decided to focus on more positive and concrete things since that semester was still a good one overall and 1 C+ ever isn't enough to write about in my opinion.

Does anyone know how to document AP classes for the required course schedule tab? Also, does anyone want to complain about the required course schedule tab with me?

Anyone else still not receive a secondary? Primary verified on 6/8..

Does anyone know how to document AP classes for the required course schedule tab? Also, does anyone want to complain about the required course schedule tab with me?

I think MCG has decided that they really don't like AP classes with this new requirements... I just entered AP for the grade and institution when I entered it in.

Anyone else still not receive a secondary? Primary verified on 6/8..
Same boat as you. Primary verified on 6/30 though. I'm OOS though, what about you?

Have any of y'all received an indication that MCG has received your letters from AMCAS? That red exclamation point is driving me crazy!

Same boat as you. Primary verified on 6/30 though. I'm OOS though, what about you?
I'm out of state as well - called this morning. OOS hasn't been released yet. Phew!

Is the Georgia Residency Affidavit required for all IS applicants? If so, where do we mail it in/upload it?
There isn't an option for it on the document upload tab. Also it says in parentheses "upon request only" next to it on the secondary portal, but the wording of the doc itself sounds like its required...

Are there any current med students here than can shed some light on what it's like to live in augusta? Also how good is MCG's facilities, faculty and curriculum?
Hey!
1) Augusta is...I think it's a great city to be in med school. It's bordered by the Savannah River and has a lot of nature-ish places for the outdoorsy folk. It also has a pretty old school downtown street for the hipster and artisan types. Night life is there if you want it, but not so tempting that you really consider reprioritizing your studies. The cost of living is amazing here as well. Rent is very low even for the really nice neighborhoods, and gas is super cheap. Plus South Carolina is like a 6 minute drive from campus and stuff is even cheaper over there.

2) The facilities are top notch. A couple of years ago MCG was left a huge donation by an alumnus, and they used some of it to construct a whole new medical school building with top of the line technology and more study/chill space than you could ask for. We have Harry Potter style academic houses and each house gets an apartment-style common space with a big-screen TV and living room, kitchen area, and small study room. They upgraded the anatomy lab too. I've traveled to other schools and I can objectively say MCG has the best facilities in the state, arguably in the region.

3) Faculty have been really helpful. I didn't know what to expect from them coming in, but our class elected Academic VPs who serve as the go between for us and the faculty. If there was ever an issue, the faculty was quick to fix it. We have some professors who agree to set up review sessions well past the time they probably want to be at school (i.e. 530PM on a Friday evening), just to make sure we understand the material. Most of them have open door policies and they respond to emails very quickly. For things that they couldn't fix for us, we turn in feedback forms that lead to actual, tangible changes for the incoming class.

4) Curriculum is really dependent on your learning style. It's a system-based model, so in first year when you do the Cardiopulmonary module, you learn to do physical exams and histories, anatomy, embryology, biochemistry, physiology, and actual patient case studies for the heart and lungs. Then 2nd year in that module you'll come back and do immunology, pharmacology, pathophysiology, etc. for that system. First year gives you a solid understanding of normal function of the body, so 2nd year makes a bit more sense compared to if you were to learn pathophysiology simultaneously with the basics. Curriculum is a long conversation though...we do team based learning in some cases, and have ultrasound classes as well. PM me for more details.

Hope this helped!

Reactions: 11 users
"Please describe the geographical setting in which you think you would most like to practice following medical training. Include the following information if known: The state or region of the country, the name of the county and town."

How is this secondary essay not completely ridiculous? How am I supposed to know where? No pre-med should have the gall to confidently make the decision of where they would want to practice medicine DOWN TO AN EXACT TOWN at this moment in their careers. That'd be presumptions, just like saying "I want to be a pediatric neurosurgeon" when you're a sophomore in college.

Does anyone else feel that this question just wants us to BS stuff about diverse patient populations or medically underserved locations in Georgia? Let's say I honestly wanted to practice in Manhattan after medical school or residency. I wouldn't feel comfortable answering as such.

I literally just gave a one word sentence giving them my hometown as the place I would like to practice. The say "geographic" so I assumed that was all they wanted to know.

Gotcha. I still don't like this question and I think it's obvious that they just want us to pander to them by saying that we'll stay in Georgia to practice.

Does anyone know when the first round of interviews and acceptances went out for MCG last year for regular decision?

@desiredmembername123

Do you go to a school that does committee letters? If not, do you know what we're supposed to do in regard to the LORs?

Mine recently stopped doing committee letters. So, I'm going to call up the MCG admissions office on Monday.

Did anyone else have trouble determining the size of your graduating class (high school) as well as the overall student population size at your school? I don't have a yearbook or anything and a google search comes up null..

Did anyone else have trouble determining the size of your graduating class (high school) as well as the overall student population size at your school? I don't have a yearbook or anything and a google search comes up null..

Do you have an old transcript around? My transcripts would say my class rank like "1/100". If not, I'd just call your old school tomorrow and ask.

@SusieCarmichael @olcmg

I was just planning on estimating... Do you think it matters if we don't get it exactly right...? I know my class was 400-something, so I'm just planning on putting 450.

@SusieCarmichael @olcmg

I was just planning on estimating... Do you think it matters if we don't get it exactly right...? I know my class was 400-something, so I'm just planning on putting 450.

I definitely rounded but would say it was within 20 give or take. I mean, I think they're just seeing if you're "rural" and any class size 400+ is going to be metropolitan.

We promise that everything is accurate to our best knowledge when we submit, right? Well to my best knowledge that was the class size :angelic:;)

Does anyone know when the first round of interviews and acceptances went out for MCG last year for regular decision?

I don't know when the first emails went out for IIs. But the first interviews were mid-September I believe. I got my email early September for a September 23rd interview.

First acceptances were November 16th.

Have any of y'all received an indication that MCG has received your letters from AMCAS? That red exclamation point is driving me crazy!

Same, and it lists all of mine as being received which is really weird. I think I'm going to call tomorrow.