2016-2017 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the final question in the secondary application (discuss any unevenness in you academic...), would you discuss a low MCAT score? Or is that too negative? What if I end on a positive note and discuss how my retake improved?

I feel like you could go a couple ways with this.

They already know your academic history. If they saw you got a B- in orgo the first semester and an A- the next, then they know you obviously buckled down and took the next attempt seriously. While discussing this might be a good way to highlight your academic preparedness/perserverance/commitment, to me it feels like that space could have otherwise gone toward distinguishing yourself from the n number of other candidates that went through the exact same thing. Maybe instead talk about the cool new thing you did this past year, or that volunteer thing you set up, or "insert thing that makes MedLife24 different and attractive as an applicant."

On the otherhand, if you didn't show improvement for a grade or exam score, then maybe a quick discussion would be worthwhile, but I wouldn't focus on it for the entire response at all.

I don't know, honestly. To me, the whole "If you have had any academic problems or unevenness in your academic performance, please address that here as well:" prompt to me seems optional and I personally spent my space answering the "If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed that you feel the Admissions Committee should consider when evaluating your application" part.

I'd be interested in hearing what other people think about this, too.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, unless something extraordinary happened that caused your academic short comings (i.e my mom died the day before I took the mcat and I had pnemonia blah blah) I dont think the excuses matter all that much to them, like either they see you as a good fit for the school based off of your application or they don't feel that you've proven yourself. Don't get me wrong, I used that section to explain academic shortcomings but I'm not banking on that section as being the determining factor in whether they ultimately accept me or not..Anyway, during my interview last year both interviewers asked me this same question as if it hadn't been answered in my application, which I thought was wierd for the open file interviewer to do...maybe he was checking for consistancy? Anyway what do I know lol

Last edited:
Honestly, unless something extraordinary happened that caused your academic short comings (i.e my mom died the day before I took the mcat and I had pnemonia blah blah) I dont think the excuses matter all that much to them, like either they see you as a good fit for the school based off of your application or they don't feel that you've proven yourself. Don't get me wrong, I used that section to explain academic shortcomings but I'm not banking on that section as being the determining factor in whether they ultimately accept me or not..Anyway, during my interview last year both interviewers asked me this same question as if it hadn't been answered in my application, which I thought was wierd for the open file interviewer to do...maybe he was checking for consistancy? Anyway what do I know lol

This isn't necessarily true. If one has legitimate extenuating circumstances that they can demonstrate they've learned and grown from it could very well be the deciding factor for getting an interview invite. The key word is legitimate. I've been told by admissions officers to definitely harp on my circumstances effect on my undergraduate GPA and they aren't so "extraordinary" as my mother dying while I had pneumonia. You still have to woo your interviewers, prove you can succeed academically, and be a compelling applicant at the end of the day... And then some schools really don't give af... but PLENTY of others give a more holistic review.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So what would be considered legitimate? Like I listed time management as the reasoning for my GPA during junior year and pointed to the fact that in previous and the subsequent year my GPA was significantly better. I listed that because it was the truth but I just feel like its not "extenuating circumstances"...Though I have heard that if your mess up was in your freshman year you could attribute it to learning the ropes of college and that would be a proper excuse so idk...

So what would be considered legitimate? Like I listed time management as the reasoning for my GPA during junior year and pointed to the fact that in previous and the subsequent year my GPA was significantly better. I listed that because it was the truth but I just feel like its not "extenuating circumstances"...Though I have heard that if your mess up was in you freshman year you could attribut it to learning the ropes of college and that would be a proper excuse so idk...

Trends are a big thing to admissions. I think a single hiccup won't effect you too negatively (assuming your overall GPA is good). Legitimate extenuating circumstances explaining a DOWNWARD trend could be a death in the family, an illness that required you to leave school, or family issues (I know one girl who had an abusive, alcoholic father and she was always at home taking care of her family).

This isn't necessarily true. If one has legitimate extenuating circumstances that they can demonstrate they've learned and grown from it could very well be the deciding factor for getting an interview invite. The key word is legitimate. I've been told by admissions officers to definitely harp on my circumstances effect on my undergraduate GPA and they aren't so "extraordinary" as my mother dying while I had pneumonia. You still have to woo your interviewers, prove you can succeed academically, and be a compelling applicant at the end of the day... And then some schools really don't give af... but PLENTY of others give a more holistic review.

Oh and the mother dying while having pnemonia was my attempt at trying to be sarcastic lol. I knew an asian girl who did poorly on the verbal part of the mcat because of the fact that english was her second language and so really something like that seems legit.

Reactions: 1 user
:unsure:...My junior year could not be described as a mere hiccup lol...I kinda screwed it all the way up...But I did get an interview so maybe they bought my excuse after all..

Did you all use all of the 40 word limit space? I see myself stopping at about 250 only because 1) I don't want to seem repetitive and 2) I want to be able to share certain things at my (hopeful) interview.

Here we are, just having passed the date when MCG sent out their first IIs last year.

And no IIs. :'(

Reactions: 3 users
Here we are, just having passed the date when MCG sent out their first IIs last year.

And no IIs. :'(

It is absolute torture waiting for interview invites, but I'm going to try not to freak out until September. Someone I know got in last cycle via ED and he didn't even interview until the first week of September. There is still waiting to be done unfortunately.

It is absolute torture waiting for interview invites, but I'm going to try not to freak out until September. Someone I know got in last cycle via ED and he didn't even interview until the first week of September. There is still waiting to be done unfortunately.
One of my friends got his first group of IIs in November and ended up with 3 acceptances and 8 waitlists so I wouldn't worry about it for a bit!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the red exclamation on letters of evaluation removed today. What a huge movement!

Still have the red explanation mark

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If it really bothers you, you can call the admissions office and ask about it. Then they'll manually switch it to the green checkmark. That's what I did. But it doesn't matter as long as you did indeed send your letters to them from AMCAS.

Every time I get a notification that someone posted on this thread, I'm like, "SOMEONE GOT A II AND IT'S NOT ME"

Reactions: 2 users
Every time I get a notification that someone posted on this thread, I'm like, "SOMEONE GOT A II AND IT'S NOT ME"
We're all gonna have PTSD by the time that this is all over, complete with a nervous tick lol.

Would you, who have received secondary, mind posting the documentation required for proving GA residency on the secondary (if any), please? I'm trying to decide if I need to get my licensed renewed before submitting secondary. If they don't require an upload, I'm going to renew it in a few months. Plz,Plz,Plz!

Would you, who have received secondary, mind posting the documentation required for proving GA residency on the secondary (if any), please? I'm trying to decide if I need to get my licensed renewed before submitting secondary. If they don't require an upload, I'm going to renew it in a few months. Plz,Plz,Plz!

You have to upload a copy of your GA license, and it has to be valid.

You only need to upload it AFTER you get the interview. I called the admissions office and asked.

Waiting for word on the first II is even worse than waiting for an II from schools that have already started sending them out...

You only need to upload it AFTER you get the interview. I called the admissions office and asked.
Thank you!
But don't in-states have higher chance of getting interviews? So if you say you are in-state, they just take your words for it?

Thank you!
But don't in-states have higher chance of getting interviews? So if you say you are in-state, they just take your words for it?

Essentially, yeah. Although, looking at your permanent residence and where you go to school (unless you went out-of-state for undergrad) gives them a pretty good heuristic of determining IS or OOS anyway.

When did you submit your primary?

submitted primary the morning of 8/9 and got secondary almost immedietly (evening 8/9). AMCAS still isn't even verified. submitted secondary 8/23 (they have a 2 week deadline on secondary submission)

Thank you!

i mean i guess, but is lying to get an interview the best way to start a medical career? this isn't even a lie that has the possibility of flying under the radar (not that this means lying in that case is acceptable either)

Anyone having trouble with email responses from admissions? It took them almost a month for them to respond to my first question. I called the office with another questions and they said to email them to fix the problem with my LORs, but I'm worried it is going to take another month and put me further behind.

Anyone having trouble with email responses from admissions? It took them almost a month for them to respond to my first question. I called the office with another questions and they said to email them to fix the problem with my LORs, but I'm worried it is going to take another month and put me further behind.

What's the problem with your LORs? Is it the red exclamation online?

submitted primary the morning of 8/9 and got secondary almost immedietly (evening 8/9). AMCAS still isn't even verified. submitted secondary 8/23 (they have a 2 week deadline on secondary submission)

i mean i guess, but is lying to get an interview the best way to start a medical career? this isn't even a lie that has the possibility of flying under the radar (not that this means lying in that case is acceptable either)
Damn, I'm waiting forever for its secondary><

What's the problem with your LORs? Is it the red exclamation online?

Yes, I have 3 personal recommendations in my committee packet so I listed two of the names under one blank (thinking they wanted all names that were included - I should have clarified this with them before submitting). When I called Admissions about it they said this messed up the system and I needed to email them about it. I don't know why they couldn't have just fixed in manually right then hahah

OOS (FL resident) and submitted my primary last week and got the secondary invite yesterday. do they screen?

II today at 11:27 a.m. First available interview date is September 6th.

Florida resident, got the secondary 3 days ago and just submitted. hope its not too late in the cycle :)

Hey guys! I'm an M1 at MCG. I saw that you're starting to get some IIs and wanted to let you know that if you had any questions about the school, I'd be happy to answer them (if I know the answer). I'll try to be timely about it, but we have our first test tomorrow, and we're starting TMSK in a week so I might be a bit behind in answering questions if you ask them!
Good luck with the cycle!

I got notification that I got a II a few days ago. I chose to schedule an interview 2 weeks out because I still have a pile of secondaries to send out and want to make sure I give myself ample time to really familiarize myself with the school, practice, etc. I applied sort of late. It hasn't even been a full month since I submitted my secondary, and my account says the school received my LORs a little over 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering if this is any indication they're particularly interested in me or whether it just means I got lucky lol. My LizzyM is a 69.59, nothing special from my understanding? I do have a very high GPA.

I got notification that I got a II a few days ago. I chose to schedule an interview 2 weeks out because I still have a pile of secondaries to send out and want to make sure I give myself ample time to really familiarize myself with the school, practice, etc. I applied sort of late. It hasn't even been a full month since I submitted my secondary, and my account says the school received my LORs a little over 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering if this is any indication they're particularly interested in me or whether it just means I got lucky lol. My LizzyM is a 69.59, nothing special from my understanding? I do have a very high GPA.

similar situation- I got an interview invite yesterday, which was just two days after they marked my file complete with my last LOR. hoping you're right and it means they're very interested in us!

similar situation- I got an interview invite yesterday, which was just two days after they marked my file complete with my last LOR. hoping you're right and it means they're very interested in us!
Nice! And I thought I was cutting it close lol.

Could someone explain the significance, if any, of only being able to interview in Augusta vs. being able to choose between Augusta and Athens?

Is it known when/how frequently the MCG ADCOM meets?

So admissions has been very kind and sending me frequent(well more frequent than I have seen from other schools) emails. Not for any holds or anything, but they have been active in clearing up any discrepancies or asking me questions. I'm taking this as a good sign since they care enough to contact me.

So admissions has been very kind and sending me frequent(well more frequent than I have seen from other schools) emails. Not for any holds or anything, but they have been active in clearing up any discrepancies or asking me questions. I'm taking this as a good sign since they care enough to contact me.

hey fizzle but just wondering what kind of emails have they been sending you?