2016-2017 Medical School For International Health (MSIH) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwissArmyKnife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just wondering if anyone else out there is applying/considering applying to MSIH this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a kool skool. Didn't apply though. interested to hear more about what kind of students they take

Yeah, I shadowed an alumni who had great things to say about it.

I just got an interview invite this week, so we'll see!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what the average MCAT/GPA are for their classes?

According to their website the averages are 505 MCAT, 3.6 GPA.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! Is anyone on here applying to Sackler or Technion too? Couldn't find any GPA/MCAT averages for Israeli schools online but if @SwissArmyKnife found them, I'm probably not looking in the right place

According to their website the averages are 505 MCAT, 3.6 GPA.
Thanks! Is anyone on here applying to Sackler or Technion too? Couldn't find any GPA/MCAT averages for Israeli schools online but if @SwissArmyKnife found them, I'm probably not looking in the right place[/QUOTE]

I'm not applying to Sackler or Technion. I got those stats directly from MSIH's website, so I'd do some poking! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it went really well! It was also very relaxed and casual. I left feeling pretty confident. Did you get any info about how many applicants they get each year?
Nope. I asked Beth what percentage of students that apply get in but she said that she wasn't allowed to share the information, which I thought was odd. My guess is that the percentage is relatively high, since I wouldn't think they'd have a problem sharing a competitive statistic. However, I have no facts to back this up. Glad your interview went well!

Nope. I asked Beth what percentage of students that apply get in but she said that she wasn't allowed to share the information, which I thought was odd. My guess is that the percentage is relatively high, since I wouldn't think they'd have a problem sharing a competitive statistic. However, I have no facts to back this up. Glad your interview went well!
Yeah, I kind of got the same feeling. She said the number of people who apply each year was in the "triple-digits". Still, the global health experience has my interest.

Yeah, I kind of got the same feeling. She said the number of people who apply each year was in the "triple-digits". Still, the global health experience has my interest.
haha yeah but I'm actually very excited for MSIH too. To live in another country for 3 years. They said we won't hear back until mid november somtime though *sigh*

Hey there! So I just found out about this school and I am overwhelmed with excitement about the possibility. I know they accept applications into June, but does anyone know if applying now would still be competitive? If anyone has gotten in here/went here I would LOVE to know more about your experiences!

Hey there! So I just found out about this school and I am overwhelmed with excitement about the possibility. I know they accept applications into June, but does anyone know if applying now would still be competitive? If anyone has gotten in here/went here I would LOVE to know more about your experiences!

I think applying now is totally fine. I know they accept applicants all year long. Their class sizes vary quite a bit, so I think they are more concerned with finding the right students for the program rather than just filling seats. So if you feel like you have a chance then go for it. For more info you can look back at other threads on here, they have a blog, and some youtube videos. Good luck!

Thanks for your response! Let us know as soon as you hear back. I'm going to be power-completing my application today and submitting as soon as possible. I couldn't sleep last night I was so excited about this opportunity! My only hesitation about going to medical school was that it would be more years id have to wait before traveling the world, and at MSIH that wouldn't be the case. And it seems like the program is very successful at achieving the goal of preparing people for international medical careers. But you already know all that! Lol @CaseyNCHS where are you from? Applying from Ohio myself

It's definitely still early in their process! The first committee meeting isn't until November 4th, so that's the earliest you'll hear from accepted folks. I've heard really great things about the program though... I got to shadow an alum and I spoke with a 4th year before my interview. Seems like a great fit for me!

No, but I remember seeing somewhere a very recent year where 95% of students matched. I thought it was 2016 but it could have been 2015

hi all - I have a deep-seated interest in global health, medicine in underserved communities and humanitarian medicine. After scanning through the interwebz the school has definitely piqued my interest and it's possible that this school could be a good fit. While I'm interested, I'm still a little skeptical. Are there any alums on here I can talk to for more information?

Congrats to you too! I'm so excited. How sure are you that you'll be attending? I don't think it has sunk in yet that I really am going to be a doctor

Me either! I'm 100% sure, at this moment. If I get more acceptances, the decision could become a little more difficult. But I really think MSIH will be a good fit for me. How about you?

Me either! I'm 100% sure, at this moment. If I get more acceptances, the decision could become a little more difficult. But I really think MSIH will be a good fit for me. How about you?

I'm in the same boat. I'm still applying broadly here in the states and probably to Sackler but MSIH has always been my top choice. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is if I later decide I want to specialize. I've always felt very strongly about pursuing primary care but if that changes, I don't want to be limited. and MSIH, of course, is very primary care focused.

@DjRizal I am (obviously) not an alum, but I understand the feelings of hesitation when so many people say negative things about international medical schools! What really solidified my interest was seeing what success recent classes have had in finding residency programs, including some really impressive programs. It seems to me that maybe the negative biases some people have are balanced out by the positive and unique experiences and stories that graduates are able to contribute to their programs. I wish I could find the match information again for you but I'm sure if you dig for it you'll find out more. I also learned a lot from MSIH's YouTube channel, because you get to hear from people who are currently in the program.

Congratulations on the acceptances!!! That's awesome. I just submitted my application the other day. Im getting so anxious, I want to be accepted and make my decision so badly! How long after you were offered an interview was the interview scheduled for? Does anyone know when the next admissions committee meeting will be??

hi all - I have a deep-seated interest in global health, medicine in underserved communities and humanitarian medicine. After scanning through the interwebz the school has definitely piqued my interest and it's possible that this school could be a good fit. While I'm interested, I'm still a little skeptical. Are there any alums on here I can talk to for more information?
There are also some alums in some past years' threads that you could message, if they're still active on here. Good luck!

@DjRizal I am (obviously) not an alum, but I understand the feelings of hesitation when so many people say negative things about international medical schools! What really solidified my interest was seeing what success recent classes have had in finding residency programs, including some really impressive programs. It seems to me that maybe the negative biases some people have are balanced out by the positive and unique experiences and stories that graduates are able to contribute to their programs. I wish I could find the match information again for you but I'm sure if you dig for it you'll find out more. I also learned a lot from MSIH's YouTube channel, because you get to hear from people who are currently in the program.

Congratulations on the acceptances!!! That's awesome. I just submitted my application the other day. Im getting so anxious, I want to be accepted and make my decision so badly! How long after you were offered an interview was the interview scheduled for? Does anyone know when the next admissions committee meeting will be??

Thanks! Good luck with your application. If you get an interview then they're already interested in you. They are more interested in getting people that fit with their program than they are with stats.

Hi all,

Congrats to those who have been accepted and good luck to those applying. I visited MSIH and it seems like a fantastic school.
I interviewed in Israel around the same time as the previous posters interviewed in New York, but unlike them, I have not heard any word back yet. I'm a bit worried about why those who interviewed at the same time as me have already received a response. I have been thinking of phoning to follow up, but I don't want it to backfire. Any suggestions/advice?
Sorry you haven't heard back yet. During my interview, they told us that they meet once a month to discuss applicants and that hopefully they would get to my application in November. Luckily they did, but maybe that just haven't gotten to your application yet? They made it seem that if they got to your application then you would get a decision email no matter the outcome. However, everyone in the NYC office is extremely nice and I don't think it would hurt to ask them about your application. I'm pretty sure they make the decision regardless of where you interviewed at. I actually had done the same thing and then later got accepted. I can pm you the NYC admission coordinator's email if you'd like.

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

Accepted!! received email 11/7/16 as well!

@CaseyNCHS have you gotten invited to a facebook group or gotten any additional information other than the acceptance letter

Anyone know when the December admissions meeting will be? I was told "mid December" but i really wish I knew more specifically.

Anyone know when the December admissions meeting will be? I was told "mid December" but i really wish I knew more specifically.

It'll probably be before Hanukkah so they won't have you waiting until next year for a response!

Did anyone get to participate in the conference call yesterday?

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

Has anyone received any info regarding financial aid and the federal loan process?