2016-2017 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

Started by freak7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes but only $200 of the $300 but you have to withdraw by email by April 30th. So that gives you 2 days.

Also the refund check can take up to 6 weeks to come through the mail.
@all things possible , so do we just email them to withdraw the acceptance, and wait for the refund check? Or do we need to fill something out before we get the check?

I'm assuming you've been through the process already
 
@all things possible , so do we just email them to withdraw the acceptance, and wait for the refund check? Or do we need to fill something out before we get the check?

I'm assuming you've been through the process already
An email stating that you will be withdrawing is sufficient. They will send you a confirmation email confirming your decision.

The $200 check can take up to 6 weeks before you get it. It sure took six weeks for me; I withdrew back in February.
 
I just sent in my withdrawal email...and it feels kinda sad to be honest. I really did like Meharry. And i have fam who live in Nashville so it would have been a good fit. But what is done is done. I hope my seat goes to one of you guys on the WL! Good luck!

@all things possible where did you decide to go instead?
 
take me out to dinner first before getting personal... JK haha 3.9, 510 and I submitted my primary in October and My secondary November
lol...u the doctor, take me out...I'm applying for next cycle and taking the mcat again. 510 is my goal score, what did you do exactly to prepare? which resources did you use?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys!! Like many others I also got accepted off the waitlist and I really hope others who haven't heard good news yet to hear some soon too but I want to ask you especially the people with multiple acceptances would you pick meharry over an instate California DO school?? Only thing I'm effy about Meharry is their not-so-advanced technology especially after seeing a CHALKBOARD in one of their classes (just 1 ex.) on interview day. Plus other things like no recorded lectures, grades instead of pass no pass etc..
 
Hi guys!! Like many others I also got accepted off the waitlist and I really hope others who haven't heard good news yet to hear some soon too but I want to ask you especially the people with multiple acceptances would you pick meharry over an instate California DO school?? Only thing I'm effy about Meharry is their not-so-advanced technology especially after seeing a CHALKBOARD in one of their classes (just 1 ex.) on interview day. Plus other things like no recorded lectures, grades instead of pass no pass etc..
Tough choice and a personal one as well. I will say that Meharry has a decent match list and they do well on STEP each year. I feel like when it comes down to it both schools would provide you with great opportunities.

Another added benefit for going to Meharry would be the community of the students and the environment. The students seemed to really mesh well together and support one another, especially as URMs. This is also important and can prove beneficial in the beast that medical school is.

I would make a list of pros and cons for both schools and compare them before making a decision. Maybe you could also talk to some more students at both schools?

Congrats and good luck and just know that you're in a tough, but great position to be in.
 
Hi guys!! Like many others I also got accepted off the waitlist and I really hope others who haven't heard good news yet to hear some soon too but I want to ask you especially the people with multiple acceptances would you pick meharry over an instate California DO school?? Only thing I'm effy about Meharry is their not-so-advanced technology especially after seeing a CHALKBOARD in one of their classes (just 1 ex.) on interview day. Plus other things like no recorded lectures, grades instead of pass no pass etc..

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat too. I got into an instate DO program back home in NY, and am trying to decide between the two. I've done the pros and cons list thing and it has helped, but I'm still on the fence about both.
 
Hi guys!! Like many others I also got accepted off the waitlist and I really hope others who haven't heard good news yet to hear some soon too but I want to ask you especially the people with multiple acceptances would you pick meharry over an instate California DO school?? Only thing I'm effy about Meharry is their not-so-advanced technology especially after seeing a CHALKBOARD in one of their classes (just 1 ex.) on interview day. Plus other things like no recorded lectures, grades instead of pass no pass etc..

What are your thoughts on DO students taking both Comlex and USMLE exams versus MD students who only really need to take the USMLE? Congrats on your acceptances btw (and everyone else)! I currently have an acceptance at a DO school, and the campus is pretty new, but I'm still waitlisted at Meharry. So I hope to have your problem lol.
 
For those accepted off the waitlist, did you do anything after you were notified that you were waitlisted?
 
So what are you going to do? Continue at Ross or go to Meharry? Just curious...

I'm definitely coming back to the states. It's a no-brainer decision. I have been on the island for 2 weeks and it's been an amazing experience! There's honestly few locations better than here to go to medical school. For those with a misconception about Caribbean schools, it's not that bad while you are on the island. The facilities and professors at Ross are amazing. I can't speak for the rest of the experience (clinicals and residency match). However, there's no comparison between the residency match between ANY American school and ANY Caribbean school.



Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Sounds like a good plan. Though I'm sure it's gorgeous there.

I'm definitely coming back to the states. It's a no-brainer decision. I have been on the island for 2 weeks and it's been an amazing experience! There's honestly few locations better than here to go to medical school. For those with a misconception about Caribbean schools, it's not that bad while you are on the island. The facilities and professors at Ross are amazing. I can't speak for the rest of the experience (clinicals and residency match). However, there's no comparison between the residency match between ANY American school and ANY Caribbean school.



Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First post on SDN!
It's been encouraging keeping up with the activity here, so I wanted to join the discussion and share.
I was accepted here off the waiting list! I recently withdrew my application here, however. Hoping one of you gets that spot!