2016-2017 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

Started by freak7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

So if there is no word/character limit.. What is an acceptable length? Part of me is itching to type ALOT for this one. There are so many reasons why I want to attend, not to mention this is one of my top oos schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So if there is no word/character limit.. What is an acceptable length? Part of me is itching to type ALOT for this one. There are so many reasons why I want to attend, not to mention this is one of my top oos schools.
I would say no more than a page single spaced.
 
it worked for me just now!

I also don't think there is a word/character limit imposed in case anyone's wondering because the prompt didn't mention one. or if there is, it's >900 words or >5,500 characters because my submission went through. 🙂

Wow, just a tad bit longer than mine. How long are the rest of you trying to make your essays?
 
Are you guys ED by chance? This and Morehouse are the only schools that haven't sent me a secondary yet 👎 (and Howard but at least they've communicated with me.)
 
Are you guys ED by chance? This and Morehouse are the only schools that haven't sent me a secondary yet 👎 (and Howard but at least they've communicated with me.)

I'm not applying ED, but my primary was verified 6/16. received secondary 7/22 although it was only available 8/1.
 
Did anyone get a secondary that was verified after 6/29? because I was verified then but still haven't received anything....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my secondary two days ago but I have not received any confirmation. I send required LORs as well. Is it common to not get any confirmation for Meharry?
 
I submitted my secondary two days ago but I have not received any confirmation. I send required LORs as well. Is it common to not get any confirmation for Meharry?
From the time that I submitted my secondary it was about three days when I received a confirmation. Best of luck
 
Does anyone know any past Meharry applicants who were wailisted the previous cycle and got in the next cycle after reapplying much earlier in the subsequent cycle with slightly better stats from before. I feel like if this school interviews you and you only tailored your app more towards their mission statement you should have a great shot to get in. Also if were interviewed in the past and did not get another one after applying again, that would be helpful to know.
 
Got the complete email a couple days ago, but all of my letters have yet to be uploaded...anyone else experienced this?
 
I was verified june 29th and I still haven't received mine. I called them last week and they pretty much told me to continue to wait. The only useful info I got from the phone call is that they do email with a decision either offering a secondary or deny. So at least it wont be a silent rejection
 
To all current or Meharry alumni, please let me know why I should apply to this school. Being a California resident, I have literally no ties but would appreciate info about special programs, student life/culture, classes.....whatever you want 🙂 Btw I am an Indian and I want to know if I can fit into this school thanks...
 
Last edited:
Has anyone called the admissions office to ask when IIs would be sent out?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
verified 6/29 acknowledgment email 7/5.....still waiting.....

called last week to ask about my app status... pretty much told me to keep waiting

should I call again?
 
Does anyone know any past Meharry applicants who were wailisted the previous cycle and got in the next cycle after reapplying much earlier in the subsequent cycle with slightly better stats from before. I feel like if this school interviews you and you only tailored your app more towards their mission statement you should have a great shot to get in. Also if were interviewed in the past and did not get another one after applying again, that would be helpful to know.
I know someone who applied, got waitlisted, got in, then deferred, then didn't start after the year was up, got dropped, reapplied, and waitlisted again, got in, and attended.
 
To all current or Meharry alumni, please let me know why I should apply to this school. Being a California resident, I have literally no ties but would appreciate info about special programs, student life/culture, classes.....whatever you want 🙂 Btw I am an Indian and I want to know if I can fit into this school thanks...
I think you should be convincing and impressing the school to enroll you, not the other way around.
 
Last edited:
verified 6/29 acknowledgment email 7/5.....still waiting.....

called last week to ask about my app status... pretty much told me to keep waiting

should I call again?
Based on your last interaction with them they may tell you the same thing. Last year's thread shows people got IIs on September 1
 
AMCAS verified 8/26. Receipt of application from Meharry 8/29. Got the secondary today. OOS.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
What's the protocol on getting rejected pre-secondary for not meeting the minimum gpa/mcat when you actually are pretty above it?? I just got an email saying:

"On behalf of the School of Medicine Admissions Committee, I wish to thank you for the time and effort taken in submitting your application for admission to the School of Medicine at Meharry Medical College. The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your AMCAS application and I regret to inform you that your application did not meet the minimum MCAT and/or GPA requirement(s) needed for admission to Meharry Medical College. As a result, your application will no longer be considered for admission."
 
What's the protocol on getting rejected pre-secondary for not meeting the minimum gpa/mcat when you actually are pretty above it?? I just got an email saying:

"On behalf of the School of Medicine Admissions Committee, I wish to thank you for the time and effort taken in submitting your application for admission to the School of Medicine at Meharry Medical College. The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your AMCAS application and I regret to inform you that your application did not meet the minimum MCAT and/or GPA requirement(s) needed for admission to Meharry Medical College. As a result, your application will no longer be considered for admission."

You definately need to call admissions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a way to check your status with them online? I submitted my secondary on 8/1 and haven't heard anything, which I guess no news is good news, but I want to make sure I haven't been rejected.
 
Is there a way to check your status with them online? I submitted my secondary on 8/1 and haven't heard anything, which I guess no news is good news, but I want to make sure I haven't been rejected.
I submitted mine then too. I'm just going to call them either next week or the following, It'll be 6 weeks then. I hope I get an interview and get in... really want to go here.
 
Is there a way to check your status with them online? I submitted my secondary on 8/1 and haven't heard anything, which I guess no news is good news, but I want to make sure I haven't been rejected.

I got a "your application is complete" email a few days after I submitted my secondary.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app