2016-2017 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the average USMLE step 1 score for njms?

National average I think.

Does anyone know when their interviews end here?
Is it mid- March?

March, of which quarter I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Question for current students and accepted. Did anyone who is OOS get offered IS tuition during their phone call? I'm wondering how this can be claimed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys. Question for current students and accepted. Did anyone who is OOS get offered IS tuition during their phone call? I'm wondering how this can be claimed.

Yes. I'm OOS and got offered IS tuition when Dr. Heinrich called me. My understanding is that NJMS does this regularly, and that NJ is one of the easier states to claim residency for after you start med school (though I don't have any data or website links to point you to on that). While I appreciated the intent, it didn't really matter much to me as a GI Bill guy since all state-funded schools have to offer IS tuition to veterans anyway, so I haven't looked into it further. For me, it's more indicative of how great the program really is. If Dr. Heinrich said it, I'd take his word. He's a solid guy.

In NJ, if you can prove that you have lived here for 1 year you can qualify for in state

In NJ, if you can prove that you have lived here for 1 year you can qualify for in state

NJMS does this thing where all students get IS tuition regardless if you've lived here or not.

Anyone apply in October that hasn't heard back yet? What are the chances of getting called in for II if you're out of state?

Anyone apply in October that hasn't heard back yet? What are the chances of getting called in for II if you're out of state? I got a 515 and have a solid GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
No! i interviewed in December and when i called they hadn't even looked at my application yet

Lmao same I called on Thursday the woman said wait another week or so and that no decision has been made yet. Hope that means we are on the agenda for this week's meeting.

Reactions: 1 user
Lmao same I called on Thursday the woman said wait another week or so and that no decision has been made yet. Hope that means we are on the agenda for this week's meeting.
kljfhrilghrghf haha i called wed and told me I would prob be coming up during last Thursday meeting !! jcidlusfhrkjelfriefghurejkgfhvrugfh The admissions is actually some of the nicest I have dealt with tho so not too mad.

kljfhrilghrghf haha i called wed and told me I would prob be coming up during last Thursday meeting !! jcidlusfhrkjelfriefghurejkgfhvrugfh The admissions is actually some of the nicest I have dealt with tho so not too mad.

Yea they're super friendly but taking too dang long! :xf: that we get the call in 6 days and no emails this week.

does everyone who interview either get waitlisted or accepted? I don't see any rejections on here, just wondering

[removed]

Last edited:
Any developments here this week?

Reactions: 1 users
is there a facebook page for accepted students anywhere?? I'm about 99% sure I'm going to attend!

So I am guessing no news this weekend? Been a while since we last saw an acceptance on this thread.

Priority waitlist. Complete in October, II December OOS. This came as a surprise. Wonder what movement is like. Hoping for the best

Priority waitlist vs waitlist ?

Regular waitlist is pretty much a rejection as I don't think there's movement on it. There is movement on the priority waitlist, but don't bank on it.

Hey everyone; got the call from Dean Heinrich 2/28. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! So I just found out I was also accepted to RWJMS today and I was wondering if you all could give any insight about how these schools differ and pros/cons for each one? This is such a tough decision since I really liked both programs! Thank you!

I was also accepted to NJMS (waiting to hear back from RWJ) but from what I've gathered, NJMS is more clinical while RWJ is more research.

NJMS Pros: Hospital, medical school, and housing are connected. You will see medical cases here that you will not see elsewhere, great for clinical experience. Patient population is very diverse. Close to Newark Penn Station. Close to airport, so you may see international patients (I.e: Ebola patients), P/F, unranked, systems curriculum

NJMS Cons: Facilities look old, Newark isn't the safest city (this can be a con, but it is also a selling point: because of this, you see the patients that you do here)

RWJ Pros: Diverse student body, more research opportunities, 2 affiliated hospitals 8-10 mins away, had their systems curriculum longer, P/F, unranked, New Brunswick is safer (but it isn't completely crime-free), Close to New Brunswick Station, newer facilities than NJMS, more cadavers available (which will be unnecessary after you finish anatomy)

RWJ Cons: Match list not as good as NJMS, housing/med school and hospitals are not next to each other so you realistically need a car to get from medical school to hospitals, clinical experiences are not as good as NJMS

If others have more input or want to suggest additions, please go ahead.[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much!!

Last edited:
II just now. Complete in late September, OOS LM~71.

Isn't accepted students day 3/17? Kind of weird that they offer interviews two days earlier

Heard through the grapevine there will be a second "second look" day for those who couldn't make the first.

Hey guys do you know what is the deadline for committing to this school? In the last three days I've been put on the waitlist for 3 other schools and I don't want to hold out for them and potentially lose an acceptance that I have here. I don't know how this timeline works in terms of getting off waitlists.

Hey guys do you know what is the deadline for committing to this school? In the last three days I've been put on the waitlist for 3 other schools and I don't want to hold out for them and potentially lose an acceptance that I have here. I don't know how this timeline works in terms of getting off waitlists.

BLUF: you may hold your NJMS acceptance and all waitlist slots as long as you want.

By April 30th you may only hold one acceptance, though you may hold as many waitlist slots as you wish. I'd recommend dropping to one school by the end of the week before in order to give schools enough time to accurately report your decision to AAMC.

If, after May 1st, you are accepted off the waitlist at a school that you would rather attend, you may accept that slot and then drop your current acceptance at NJMS. Basically, after May 1st you may only hold 1 acceptance at a time.

BLUF: you may hold your NJMS acceptance and all waitlist slots as long as you want.

By April 30th you may only hold one acceptance, though you may hold as many waitlist slots as you wish. I'd recommend dropping to one school by the end of the week before in order to give schools enough time to accurately report your decision to AAMC.

If, after May 1st, you are accepted off the waitlist at a school that you would rather attend, you may accept that slot and then drop your current acceptance at NJMS. Basically, after May 1st you may only hold 1 acceptance at a time.

Thank you so much. Very helpful!

Btw out of the people planning to go to the second look, what are you guys wearing (I'm a girl lol) and it doesn't have to be as formal as for the interview right?

If my interview is cancelled due to the upcoming storm this Tues/Wed will the school allow me to reschedule it?

Have not heard anything from this school since secondary completed in August 2016. I know it's March and interviews are almost over. Anyone from OOS with no word pre-II? i wonder if there are any chances for me at this point...?