2016-2017 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted about an hour ago from First Tier. There is still some movement!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you guys have been accepted to south also and will be withdrawing?

Reactions: 1 user
What do you guys think this means for us second tiers that havent heard anything back yet? Do y'all think more spots will continue to open up or is the movement of the list going to slow down drastically after today?

What do you guys think this means for us second tiers that havent heard anything back yet? Do y'all think more spots will continue to open up or is the movement of the list going to slow down drastically after today?

So if I understand right: today, UAB can see if any of their applicants have been accepted elsewhere. If they have been accepted elsewhere, the school will give them a few days or so to decide between UAB and the other school(s). So I would expect more movement throughout the week.

Also as more people get accepted off of the waitlist at other schools, they may withdrawal their UAB acceptances, which would open up more spots slowly throughout the next few months.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So if I understand right: today, UAB can see if any of their applicants have been accepted elsewhere. If they have been accepted elsewhere, the school will give them a few days or so to decide between UAB and the other school(s). So I would expect more movement throughout the week.

Also as more people get accepted off of the waitlist at other schools, they may withdrawal their UAB acceptances, which would open up more spots slowly throughout the next few months.

I just figured since April 30 is the deadline regarding people holding onto multiple acceptances, then all decisions need to be in BY April 30, right? That shouldn't mean, "oh we'll give you another month to decide AFTER the deadline has passed."Then again, here is a quote from the associate dean for admissions: "We really do not know when the offers will go out. As applicants make their final decisions, they will inform us and we will fill any openings at that time. Many will tell us by April 30 (which is a Sunday) so we will likely make offers between now and Monday. After that, some applicants who previously didn’t have multiple offers may get new offers from other schools. There is typically a domino effect."

That means April 30 isn't really a hard deadline. It's disconcerting to me that only 3 people on sdn reported acceptances today, even though it's just sdn, still worrying.

I just figured since April 30 is the deadline regarding people holding onto multiple acceptances, then all decisions need to be in BY April 30, right? That shouldn't mean, "oh we'll give you another month to decide AFTER the deadline has passed."Then again, here is a quote from the associate dean for admissions: "We really do not know when the offers will go out. As applicants make their final decisions, they will inform us and we will fill any openings at that time. Many will tell us by April 30 (which is a Sunday) so we will likely make offers between now and Monday. After that, some applicants who previously didn’t have multiple offers may get new offers from other schools. There is typically a domino effect."

That means April 30 isn't really a hard deadline. It's disconcerting to me that only 3 people on sdn reported acceptances today, even though it's just sdn, still worrying.

Admissions Lifecycle - Admissions - AAMC

If you look at rule 6 it seems to indicate that the school must give applicants a minimum of two days to make the decision. Not sure if this will change anything but hopefully (for the rest of us on the waitlist) there are just some applicants who have not made up their mind yet.

Edit: minimum of 5 days to make the decision***

Has anyone from the second tier been accepted yet? Many first tiers on here still waiting?

Members don't see this ad :)
First tier still waiting
Also first tier, still waiting. The admissions people said they usually admit most if not all first tiers. So, hopefully that will happen and happen in a timely fashion.

Also first tier, still waiting. The admissions people said they usually admit most if not all first tiers. So, hopefully that will happen and happen in a timely fashion.

They said this on your interview day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the second tier. Did they mention what 2nd tier chances of getting accepted might be? Good luck!!

I'm on the second tier. Did they mention what 2nd tier chances of getting accepted might be? Good luck!!
I didn't ask about 2nd tier. I'm honestly surprised and disappointed that some of us 1st tiers still haven't been accepted. If you think about it, they waitlist about 100 people every year and accept about 36 from that. There are 3 tiers on the list. If they divide them equally that means every 1st tier should get in, on a average, and maybe a couple 2nd tiers. Keeping track of sdn and some I know who got accepted off of sdn, also adding those people who might have got accepted that I haven't heard about, they have probably accepted around 15-20 so far. Last year someone got accepted on sdn in the middle of May and early July. 15-20 is well below their average, so we *should* be seeing more movement.

I didn't ask about 2nd tier. I'm honestly surprised and disappointed that some of us 1st tiers still haven't been accepted. If you think about it, they waitlist about 100 people every year and accept about 36 from that. There are 3 tiers on the list. If they divide them equally that means every 1st tier should get in, on a average, and maybe a couple 2nd tiers. Keeping track of sdn and some I know who got accepted off of sdn, also adding those people who might have got accepted that I haven't heard about, they have probably accepted around 15-20 so far. Last year someone got accepted on sdn in the middle of May and early July. 15-20 is well below their average, so we *should* be seeing more movement.
These things are so frustrating I know. Best of luck to you, hopefully you will hear good news soon. Thank you so much for the feedback it has been very helpful!

These things are so frustrating I know. Best of luck to you, hopefully you will hear good news soon. Thank you so much for the feedback it has been very helpful!
Sure, same to you.

Last year UAB accepted 265 applicants. This makes me think that msar has to be incorrect in saying that only 36 get pulled off of the alternate list considering that only 186 of those 265 matriculate. I doubt that around 40 people either deferred or just declined their acceptance before the alternate list was made. Maybe so.

Last year UAB accepted 265 applicants. This makes me think that msar has to be incorrect in saying that only 36 get pulled off of the alternate list considering that only 186 of those 265 matriculate. I doubt that around 40 people either deferred or just declined their acceptance before the alternate list was made. Maybe so.
Well for one 36 is just an average, as is the 100 number. Also, so far, not that many people have gotten accepted off of the alternate list. Hell, a lot of us 1st tiers still have no word. So I don't know what to tell you lol.

Well for one 36 is just an average, as is the 100 number. Also, so far, not that many people have gotten accepted off of the alternate list. Hell, a lot of us 1st tiers still have no word. So I don't know what to tell you lol.

LOL! It's not like this affects your future or lifestyle or anything. LOL!

Was accepted 2 weeks ago off of the 1st tier; sorry forgot to post due to euphoria. Honestly I had to stopping checking my emails and these forums because I was driving myself crazy. I would advise the same. Go hang out with friends work on other things to keep your mind off of the wait. I know that easy for me to say but good luck guys!!!

I was also accepted from the first tier waitlist around 2 weeks ago! I wish you all the best and hope to see you in July :)

I suppose it's safe to assume, barring extreme circumstance withdrawals, they will not really be sending out more offers. The acceptances resulting from applicants holding multiple acceptances narrowing down their choices seem to have gone out already (May 1). Also, it's been longer than the allotted (~)5 days to respond to an acceptance since April 28. So, I guess the fat lady sings for this cycle...? I tried to email to get feedback, but they responded with "they don't send feedback until they know for sure that you will not be accepted,-and since I am first tier, to email again in 2 weeks."

I suppose it's safe to assume, barring extreme circumstance withdrawals, they will not really be sending out more offers. The acceptances resulting from applicants holding multiple acceptances narrowing down their choices seem to have gone out already (May 1). Also, it's been longer than the allotted (~)5 days to respond to an acceptance since April 28. So, I guess the fat lady sings for this cycle...? I tried to email to get feedback, but they responded with "they don't send feedback until they know for sure that you will not be accepted,-and since I am first tier, to email again in 2 weeks."
It's frustrating honestly, but when I emailed them a week ago they said they expect to make additional offers from the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Have any of you that have been recently accepted from the alternate list received your letter in the mail?

It's frustrating honestly, but when I emailed them a week ago they said they expect to make additional offers from the waitlist.
We can only hope. It feels like false hope though.

How many first tiers on here are left by the way?

Anyone heard anything?

I haven't heard anything one way or the other. I talked to a guy who has ties to the Admissions Committee and he said it's possible that they are just going to do a massive last wave of acceptances off the wait list and that there are some politics going on regarding who should be in that last wave. For the most part, the Committee is being extremely quiet. I guess we should also ask if anyone that was wait listed has been rejected. That might give us an idea of who is still in play to be a part of this class.

I haven't heard anything one way or the other. I talked to a guy who has ties to the Admissions Committee and he said it's possible that they are just going to do a massive last wave of acceptances off the wait list and that there are some politics going on regarding who should be in that last wave. For the most part, the Committee is being extremely quiet. I guess we should also ask if anyone that was wait listed has been rejected. That might give us an idea of who is still in play to be a part of this class.
You don't think they would just go in order down the waitlist? I thought that's what the tiers would be for. I'm not sure if they order people within the tiers, though. I don't think there are that many first tiers remaining. At least on sdn, maybe 2(?). Then perhaps 2 +/- 2 off of sdn? Do many second tiers usually get in? Last I spoke with the admissions people, they said that they usually admit most if not all first tiers but didn't say anything about the other tiers. If a handful of second tiers usually find their way in, then there might be a good bit of more acceptances coming. If not, then probably not, right?

Just to add to my previous comment: at this point, it's not up to the admissions committee(in a way, whether more people will be accepted). It all depends on if more students holding acceptances will withdraw or not. So we are not waiting on anything concrete or inevitable, just going by trends from the past. It's important to keep that in mind.

Just to add to my previous comment: at this point, it's not up to the admissions committee(in a way, whether more people will be accepted). It all depends on if more students holding acceptances will withdraw or not. So we are not waiting on anything concrete or inevitable, just going by trends from the past. It's important to keep that in mind.

Piggybacking off both of your replies. I've heard that first tiers are pretty much guaranteed to eventually get an acceptance, second tiers have about a 50/50 shot, and third tiers might as well have gotten rejected. I've also heard that if someone on UAB's wait list gets an acceptance from South, UAB will almost immediately send them an acceptance. I do believe that they order people on the tiers, but I don't know how far down the list they are with regards to first tiers. I've heard from other people around UAB's campus that the med school sends acceptances to around 80% of the wait list, but I doubt the number is that high.

Piggybacking off both of your replies. I've heard that first tiers are pretty much guaranteed to eventually get an acceptance, second tiers have about a 50/50 shot, and third tiers might as well have gotten rejected. I've also heard that if someone on UAB's wait list gets an acceptance from South, UAB will almost immediately send them an acceptance. I do believe that they order people on the tiers, but I don't know how far down the list they are with regards to first tiers. I've heard from other people around UAB's campus that the med school sends acceptances to around 80% of the wait list, but I doubt the number is that high.
Yeah I don't think it's as high as 80% either. It's really strange for it to be so quiet late in may. When I emailed Cathy O'Malley for feedback for my app on May 8, she said that they don't offer feedback until they know for sure that you won't eventually get in. She recognized that I was first tier and asked me to email her again in 2 weeks to see where everything is. 2 weeks from then will be this coming Monday. Maybe she has insider info on anticipation of more withdrawals coming by/on Monday?

Do you first tiers have acceptances elsewhere?

Yeah I don't think it's as high as 80% either. It's really strange for it to be so quiet late in may. When I emailed Cathy O'Malley for feedback for my app on May 8, she said that they don't offer feedback until they know for sure that you won't eventually get in. She recognized that I was first tier and asked me to email her again in 2 weeks to see where everything is. 2 weeks from then will be this coming Monday. Maybe she has insider info on anticipation of more withdrawals coming by/on Monday?

Maybe she has a good idea since it seems like UAB is being more transparent and quicker about things than they have been in the past. I've heard that they will make their absolute final decisions in mid-June.

I'm a second tier, and I talked to someone who has ties to the admissions committee and he told me not to lose hope on this cycle yet. I assume that means they will end up making it through the entire first tier and maybe pick up a few from the second tier.

For those who don't know, the UASOM current applicants page was updated on 05/17/2017. It now reads:

The alternate list has been set and emails sent. As accepted applicants withdraw, we will accept from the alternate list. We are currently accepting alternates from the first tier wait list.

Will you be emailing her again today since today would be the 2 week mark?

Will you be emailing her again today since today would be the 2 week mark?
Yep, that's the plan, mate. I figure I will wait to hear something from the school until about 10 AM Central time. Then I'll email her again. Will update when the time comes.

For those who don't know, the UASOM current applicants page was updated on 05/17/2017. It now reads:
Right, so that just tells us what we already knew. A couple of us on here are first tier and have not been accepted. So, they haven't gone through the entire first tier yet. I hope today has some withdrawals and invites.

I think that it *may* be significant because it could have said something like "the majority of waitlist movement has occurred and we do not expect anymore significant movement"