2016-2017 University of Arizona - Tucson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the GPA range that gets accepted? does instate have a better chance of getting accepted?

Does anyone know the GPA range that gets accepted? does instate have a better chance of getting accepted?

GPA range varies significantly (You can have a really low GPA but an incredibly high MCAT score, or vice versa, and get into medical school).... Instate ALWAYS has a better chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA range varies significantly (You can have a really low GPA but an incredibly high MCAT score, or vice versa, and get into medical school).... Instate ALWAYS has a better chance.
I was looking at their GPA on sdn and it is at 3.6. And my gpa is much lower than that. It is around 3.0-3.2 but my mcat is really good. do i even have a chance? and someone told me that if youre instate, you automatically get secondary. is that true?

I was looking at their GPA on sdn and it is at 3.6. And my gpa is much lower than that. It is around 3.0-3.2 but my mcat is really good. do i even have a chance? and someone told me that if youre instate, you automatically get secondary. is that true?
I am not sure how true that is. There is a prescreen, and though I am sure the standards for OOS are higher, they still screen out IS as far as I know.

So the real question is whether or not your question pertains to applying for this cycle or next cycle?... Because this application cycle for Arizona-Tucson already closed on November 1st for the primary AMCAS application and December 1st for the secondary application. (Hence, it doesn't matter if you are in-state or out-of-state b/c it would be a waste of money to apply after the application deadline).

So the real question is whether or not your question pertains to applying for this cycle or next cycle?... Because this application cycle for Arizona-Tucson already closed on November 1st for the primary AMCAS application and December 1st for the secondary application. (Hence, it doesn't matter if you are in-state or out-of-state b/c it would be a waste of money to apply after the application deadline).

I am applying next year. I just wanted to how they look at instate students with low GPA and high MCAT, because the school's average GPA is 3.6.

I am not sure how true that is. There is a prescreen, and though I am sure the standards for OOS are higher, they still screen out IS as far as I know.

Do you know the cutoff?

I am applying next year. I just wanted to how they look at instate students with low GPA and high MCAT, because the school's average GPA is 3.6.

Do you know the cutoff?
MSAR is a great resource that'll give you a better stat than just the cutoff, it'll give you the 10th and 90th GPA/MCAT percentiles.

Yes I received an interview here with a high MCAT and a gpa on the lower side(LizzyM score ~67). Just make it a point to apply early and add as many extracurricular activities you can before applying, I know they love working with under-represented populations here. All this may not mean much as I haven't been officially accepted yet but I'm sure you'll be fine buddy, best of luck!

When are they doing more acceptances? Seems dead in relation to that unless ppl don't post on SDN.

Yes I received an interview here with a high MCAT and a gpa on the lower side(LizzyM score ~67). Just make it a point to apply early and add as many extracurricular activities you can before applying, I know they love working with under-represented populations here. All this may not mean much as I haven't been officially accepted yet but I'm sure you'll be fine buddy, best of luck!

Thanks!

This wait is killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hopefully you guys get in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I was so excited to receive an interview invite here, and I absolutely love everything about Tucson. I don't have any contacts who are current students, though. Is it okay to call the admissions office and ask to be put in touch with current students before my Jan interview? I just wasn't sure, and I don't want to do anything that would put me at a disadvantage. Thanks, and congrats to everyone who has received interviews this cycle :)

Hi everyone! I was so excited to receive an interview invite here, and I absolutely love everything about Tucson. I don't have any contacts who are current students, though. Is it okay to call the admissions office and ask to be put in touch with current students before my Jan interview? I just wasn't sure, and I don't want to do anything that would put me at a disadvantage. Thanks, and congrats to everyone who has received interviews this cycle :)

I'm pretty sure that they won't just hand out personal student contact information. In my opinion that would be a little bit out of line asking for that kind of information from the office. It seems a little too enthusiastic... bordering "stalker" level, (Even though I'm sure you are not... Hopefully!). However, if you go to the meet and greet event the night before the interview then you do get to interact with lots of the current medical students and you can ask them everything. They are very open and willing to answer your questions.

Reactions: 1 users

Totally go to the meet and greet the day before! If you're talking about maybe meeting with a student host (I know some schools do this) I think that would be more appropriate to inquire.

Totally go to the meet and greet the day before! If you're talking about maybe meeting with a student host (I know some schools do this) I think that would be more appropriate to inquire.

We do have a student host program!

We do have a student host program!
Info about the student host program was actually attached to our interview invite email.

Last edited:
Silly question but do most ppl get placed on hold?

I have been on hold since late October

Noooooo I got placed on interview hold fml

As did I. The dreaded, "Our medical school is currently unable to invite you to interview. However, we have determined that you are a competitive candidate and you will continue to be considered during this application cycle."

Just gotta keep our heads up!

Reactions: 3 users
As did I. The dreaded, "Our medical school is currently unable to invite you to interview. However, we have determined that you are a competitive candidate and you will continue to be considered during this application cycle."

Just gotta keep our heads up!
Yup we just have to hold our breath til March 24th hahaha

Same. Early October interview, one update in November. Patiently waiting :xf:

Reactions: 5 users
They said that is the last day that they can reach out and invite us for an interview smdh

I could be wrong but they said their interview season runs from August to February. Which means that is the latest we can get interviews lol. I think if you get an email in march with no previous interview, it will just be a rejection

I could be wrong but they said their interview season runs from August to February. Which means that is the latest we can get interviews lol. I think if you get an email in march with no previous interview, it will just be a rejection

No. You're not wrong, that is in fact what they said.

So probably nothing until the new year since they started winter recess this week?

The UACOM Outreach twitter just released these stats for those interested:

"#FastFacts COM-T 511 interview invites, 381 interviewed, 55 admitted"

Reactions: 6 users

Wow! There are way more open seats than I anticipated at this point

Reactions: 2 users

so do you think they are done giving out II since I remember at my interview they said they interview somewhere around 500 ?

Just got another "We've sent out acceptances" email.

Reactions: 6 users