2022-2023 Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @newolduser for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Arizona - Tucson Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician? (350 words)

2. Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life. (350 words)

3. "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."
Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission. (350 words)

4. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (350 words)

5. (optional) Share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (no limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

1. Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician? (350 words)

2. Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life. (350 words)

3. "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."

Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission. (350 words)

4. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession. (350 words)

5. Share any disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. (no limit)

IS, verified 05/23 and haven't received secondary yet

Reactions: 1 user
+1 IS received! 7/14
Anyone know what the "Document Upload" is for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if my “Human Gross Anatomy” class would count as 1 of the 2 Physiology course requirements? I took a separate “Systemic Physiology” class which would count as the other 1 of the 2.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if my “Human Gross Anatomy” class would count as 1 of the 2 Physiology course requirements? I took a separate “Systemic Physiology” class which would could as the other 1 of the 2.
I’m not exactly sure, but I’d recommend asking the admissions office via email. I was wondering if some of the courses I’ve taken fit the physiology requirement and they helped me out pretty quick that way.

I’m not exactly sure, but I’d recommend asking the admissions office via email. I was wondering if some of the courses I’ve taken fit the physiology requirement and they helped me out pretty quick that way.

Thanks! I’ll email them about my situation. Also how did y’all fill out the “clinical letter of recommendation” part in the Prerequisite section of the secondary? On my end it says to “click the ADD button and type in the name of the person writing your clinical LOR”. However when I click the ADD button, it acts like the courses part and tells me to put in a course name?

How long did it take to receive your OOS secondary?
Not who you asked but I submitted AMCAS on first day, verified before transmission and received an OOS secondary on 7/12. Hope that helps!

Anyone else IS and still waiting to receive their secondary? I haven’t gotten it yet :/

Anyone else IS and still waiting to receive their secondary? I haven’t gotten it yet :/
IS and I haven't received the secondary yet (received the Phoenix one though), I was verified just yesterday 7/19, so I'm not sure if it's too early for me to expect the secondary :/

IS and I haven't received the secondary yet (received the Phoenix one though), I was verified just yesterday 7/19, so I'm not sure if it's too early for me to expect the secondary :/
I was verified on 7/8 and didn't get their secondary until 7/18!

Finally received secondary, IS, verified 7/19, submitted 7/21

Last edited:
Can someone help me understand this secondary prompt, I think I am just a bit tired and it's not making sense to me: "Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development...." I guess I'm wondering what they mean by "experiences with engaging diversity" - do they mean interacting with diverse people? Seeking out diversity?
I interpreted it to mean what activities have you done that are unique to you, and how have they your growth and development. So, in this sense, diversity just means what have you done that is unique. Thats how I interpreted this question, at least!

I interpreted it to mean what activities have you done that are unique to you, and how have they your growth and development. So, in this sense, diversity just means what have you done that is unique. Thats how I interpreted this question, at least!
I see your point, however I personally treated this prompt as a diversity prompt. Like "what will you contribute to the school's culture" ect.

I just wrote UofA Tucson. But I also know UA COM-T is a pretty popular one.

II received! IS 4.0 507 complete 7/14

Reactions: 1 users
got placed on hold for an interview.

Last edited:
complete 7/16, no hold or II

Reactions: 1 users