2016-2017 University of Arizona - Tucson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
could anyone post a link to the match list from last year? Just curious! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
New update from the twitter:

Wonder whether that's the only day they're sending out acceptances or if it's just the LAST day. If we go by their previously stated expected acceptances, that's approximately 28 spots left (It was 155, wasn't it?), though they had mentioned that might change.

Here's hoping for some good news for some people in this thread :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Wonder whether that's the only day they're sending out acceptances or if it's just the LAST day. If we go by their previously stated expected acceptances, that's approximately 38 spots left (It was 155, wasn't it), though they had mentioned that might change.

28 spots, but yeah, still a lot of hope left for people waiting. I'm still holding out hope for you all!

I'm hoping to hear some good news, but honestly I'm just so excited for this whole application process to be over :woot:

Reactions: 4 users

Wonder whether that's the only day they're sending out acceptances or if it's just the LAST day. If we go by their previously stated expected acceptances, that's approximately 28 spots left (It was 155, wasn't it?), though they had mentioned that might change.

I hope so! Many people in here deserve it. I'm just excited for the torture to end. Whether it's good news or bad!

Reactions: 1 users
Happy that they given us a deadline for final decisions. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I am just thankful that I had the opportunity to knock of UA's door, that's gotta count for something even if it's not meant to be this year. I wish you all the best, I've been reading your posts all year long and I stand in solidarity with you all!

Don't students with acceptances have until April 30th to narrow down their choices of schools?

Or does Tucson send out a limited amount of acceptances regardless of students deciding to matriculate somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't students with acceptances have until April 30th to narrow down their choices of schools?

Or does Tucson send out a limited amount of acceptances regardless of students deciding to matriculate somewhere else?
They overaccept (i.e. 155 for class of 115-120) in anticipation of students potentially choosing another school. Obviously, if they need more students to fill out the class, they'll accept more/pull people off the waitlist, as this is what the waitlist is for.

They overaccept (i.e. 155 for class of 115-120) in anticipation of students potentially choosing another school. Obviously, if they need more students to fill out the class, they'll accept more/pull people off the waitlist, as this is what the waitlist is for.
Maybe they'll actually use it this year. ;)

The hope is for more people to select a different program and leave the spots for the wait list people!
I wouldn't think that's their hope, haha! I think the more realistic scenario I would hold on hope to is that they might have been a little more conservative with acceptances this year since they over-accepted last year. Time will tell.

I wish I would have applied last year and capitalized on their over-acceptances lol

Reactions: 2 users
I wish I would have applied last year and capitalized on their over-acceptances lol
I think they probably accepted the same amount of people as in years past, but underestimated the return of people and their enthusiasm in wanting to go there. A good sign really, for the college and students voraciously interested. Who knows, though haha?

I haven't posted much in here but I've been keeping up. I'm fortunate to have another MD acceptance, but UofA really felt like home. Best of luck to all of you and hope we can get some good news!

I wouldn't think that's their hope, haha! I think the more realistic scenario I would hold on hope to is that they might have been a little more conservative with acceptances this year since they over-accepted last year. Time will tell.
I meant that's my hope :)

Hi,

I'm a current student at UA Tucson. I know someone asked about the match list, and I have it but I don't think I can upload it to the forum. So sorry. I'll tell you how we did for internal medicine, but typing the whole thing would take too long.

IM matches

Phoenix 3
Tucson 3
USC 1
U Iowa 1
Olive view 1
Washington 1
St Joseph's 1
OHSU 2
UC Davis 1
Mayo 1
U Utah 1
Scrips Green 1

IM prelim
Irvine 1
UTexas HSC 1
Tucson 1

There you go. We matched a few into derm, ortho, plastics. I don't think our schools name will limit you if your a smarty pants who will do great on boards.

Now most importantly for the rest of us mediocre people...we had about 10 people not match. That's a huge deal, and something you should probably think about. I think most of them scrambled in, but a few didn't. Not marching sucks a lot, more than not getting into medical school for sure (kind of like being in the same position you are now +250k of debt). What's sad is that our home residency programs took IMGs over our people (cough, surgery, cough). Luckily I didn't enter the match this year, but for anonymity I'm not going to say my year. But I'm mad for them. I think our program owes them better. If your struggling to choose between programs I advise asking their match rate and specifically how many had to use the SOAP.

Some other thing le to know...our curriculum wasn't geared super well for step, but I think it's improving and they give plenty of time to study. We average around the national average. Also our program admits more people than we generally have clinical spots for in 3rd year. So sometimes there's 8 med students/2 residents. Why do you care? Because third year grades are a big deal. And only 25 percent or less of each group is allowed to honor. And when there's a million of you the residents get overwhelmed and just tel you all to go away. And no one learns. Or they compete and drive each other crazy. It's really not good, and they over admitted for the previous class so it'll be even worse. So then in 4th year same problem, there's not enough Sub internship spots for everyone to do one in time. Why do you care? Because you need LORs from your SubI to apply to residency. Anyways those are my frustrations but I cannot say for sure it's better anywhere else.

So some good things: we have very supportive people teaching us and directing clerkships. They do a great job. Our leadership is kind of bleh, but as far as support from the people you need it most you've got it and they really want you to succeed. We have great opportunities for community service and rural health... hmm that's all I've got.

If you have questions, ask and I may answer if I have time. Hope that was useful!

Thank you for sharing. Your input was insightful.

Hi,

I'm a current student at UA Tucson. I know someone asked about the match list, and I have it but I don't think I can upload it to the forum. So sorry. I'll tell you how we did for internal medicine, but typing the whole thing would take too long.

IM matches

Phoenix 3
Tucson 3
USC 1
U Iowa 1
Olive view 1
Washington 1
St Joseph's 1
OHSU 2
UC Davis 1
Mayo 1
U Utah 1
Scrips Green 1

IM prelim
Irvine 1
UTexas HSC 1
Tucson 1

There you go. We matched a few into derm, ortho, plastics. I don't think our schools name will limit you if your a smarty pants who will do great on boards.

Now most importantly for the rest of us mediocre people...we had about 10 people not match. That's a huge deal, and something you should probably think about. I think most of them scrambled in, but a few didn't. Not marching sucks a lot, more than not getting into medical school for sure (kind of like being in the same position you are now +250k of debt). What's sad is that our home residency programs took IMGs over our people (cough, surgery, cough). Luckily I didn't enter the match this year, but for anonymity I'm not going to say my year. But I'm mad for them. I think our program owes them better. If your struggling to choose between programs I advise asking their match rate and specifically how many had to use the SOAP.

Some other thing le to know...our curriculum wasn't geared super well for step, but I think it's improving and they give plenty of time to study. We average around the national average. Also our program admits more people than we generally have clinical spots for in 3rd year. So sometimes there's 8 med students/2 residents. Why do you care? Because third year grades are a big deal. And only 25 percent or less of each group is allowed to honor. And when there's a million of you the residents get overwhelmed and just tel you all to go away. And no one learns. Or they compete and drive each other crazy. It's really not good, and they over admitted for the previous class so it'll be even worse. So then in 4th year same problem, there's not enough Sub internship spots for everyone to do one in time. Why do you care? Because you need LORs from your SubI to apply to residency. Anyways those are my frustrations but I cannot say for sure it's better anywhere else.

So some good things: we have very supportive people teaching us and directing clerkships. They do a great job. Our leadership is kind of bleh, but as far as support from the people you need it most you've got it and they really want you to succeed. We have great opportunities for community service and rural health... hmm that's all I've got.

If you have questions, ask and I may answer if I have time. Hope that was useful!
what is SOAP? & thank you for the input!

Hi,

IM matches

Phoenix 3
Tucson 3
USC 1
U Iowa 1
Olive view 1
Washington 1
St Joseph's 1
OHSU 2
UC Davis 1
Mayo 1
U Utah 1
Scrips Green 1

IM prelim
Irvine 1
UTexas HSC 1
Tucson 1

Why don't they have enough clinical spots?

what is SOAP? & thank you for the input!

SOAP is the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program. My understanding is that it is for medical students who do not match who then try to match into an unfilled residency position somewhere in the U.S. You can find more information here: SOAP |

Hi all,
I am currently a prospective out of state applicant. I was wondering if someone that has close affiliations with this institution could tell me my competitiveness as an out of state applicant with my current stats:

-B.S. in Biochemistry
-4.0 GPA
-506 MCAT
-1 year shadowing in family medicine
-2 years shadowing in emergency medicine
-2 years clinical research
-EMT for 2 years
-participated in two summer research programs, presented at 3 conferences
-Grew up in a rural/educationally disadvantaged area

Hi all,
I am currently a prospective out of state applicant. I was wondering if someone that has close affiliations with this institution could tell me my competitiveness as an out of state applicant with my current stats:

-B.S. in Biochemistry
-4.0 GPA
-506 MCAT
-EMT for 2 years
I'd say pretty damn competitive!

Hi all,

-B.S. in Biochemistry
-4.0 GPA
-506 MCAT
-EMT for 2 years

It looks like you are a new user. You should try posting in the What Are My Chances forum! That way you can get help evaluating not only your competitiveness at this institution, but also any others you may be looking to apply to! Here is the link: What Are My Chances?

Hi all,

-B.S. in Biochemistry
-4.0 GPA
-506 MCAT
-EMT for 2 years

Do you have any ties to the state or institution? If you already have your B.S. how many years out are you? What have you been doing in that time? Your application will reflect "hours" shadowed, not "years" so that would be more useful info (though not really a big factor). I believe the school (and many/most other schools) care more about serving the underserved than volunteering as shelf stocker in the ED. Any underserved volunteering experience? Your EMT experience is good and research is great. Rural is a +, if you were also low SES that is a big +. MCAT should be forgiven with your GPA at most schools in this tier.

Hi,

IM matches

Phoenix 3
Tucson 3
USC 1
U Iowa 1
Olive view 1
Washington 1
St Joseph's 1
OHSU 2
UC Davis 1
Mayo 1
U Utah 1
Scrips Green 1

IM prelim
Irvine 1
UTexas HSC 1
Tucson 1

Continuing off this sentiment, I know that 18 students applied to EM programs and 15 matched (I don't know if the 3 went unmatched or also applied to other specialties and matched there, but SOAP is non-existent for EM so you would have to go FM, IM, etc).

Ten students didn't match out of how many?

As for AZ schools, I know Phx had 100% match rate, Midwestern had 100% match rate, and AT Still had 100% match rate.

I know people argue that it is based upon individual performance, but I really don't think that is the case here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ten students didn't match out of how many?

As for AZ schools, I know Phx had 100% match rate, Midwestern had 100% match rate, and AT Still had 100% match rate.

I know people argue that it is based upon individual performance, but I really don't think that is the case here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree. I quickly jumped to the schools defense (naturally) too that it is individual performance, but when you actually consider 10 students, out of a class of MAX 140 (assuming waaaay over enrollment) it is VERY concerning. Especially paired with the schools decision not to post match lists (this cycle or in the past).
Just makes one wonder.

Do you have any ties to the state or institution? If you already have your B.S. how many years out are you? What have you been doing in that time? Your application will reflect "hours" shadowed, not "years" so that would be more useful info (though not really a big factor). I believe the school (and many/most other schools) care more about serving the underserved than volunteering as shelf stocker in the ED. Any underserved volunteering experience? Your EMT experience is good and research is great. Rural is a +, if you were also low SES that is a big +. MCAT should be forgiven with your GPA at most schools in this tier.
As for ties to the state all of my husband's family lives in Tucson and has most of his life. I on the other hand grew up in the southwest in a neighboring state. I am just about to graduate with my B.S. and plan on taking courses to up my licensure as an EMT as well as some additional Spanish courses in the interim year after my graduation. All of my time spent in the ED was spent shadowing and doing clinical research. All of my primary care shadowing was done in a rural/medically underserved area. As for the MCAT I am debating on retaking it, but am trying to do a risk/benefit analysis as I of course am worried that there is always a chance my score will decrease.

aGKXZsx.png

In danger of wading into the pre-med rabble, honestly, wait to form your opinions until second look. There are of course legitimate concerns coming into the school mostly being the new curriculum but I don't think the quality of the match is one of them.

I can't speak for the class of 2017, but its hard to say there is a "structural" problem when students were still successfully sent into Neurosurgery, Derm, Ortho, Optho, ENT and Plastics. I encourage anyone who has questions about the school to ask at second look or to talk to Dr. Parikh (if you haven't already). They were very helpful for me when choosing which school to go to.

Match list from the class of 2017: http://deptmedicine.arizona.edu/sit...udent-residency-match-results_2017-update.pdf

Here is a match from 2014 if you are looking for longitudinal data: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1bg1RqdeehV0JIl9DPeUMKWzyWU0&hl=en_US&ll=34.07521693070374,-118.38056087493896&z=8

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Tomorrow is it!
Tomorrow, some of us will be in great excitement. Some of us will be in great depression. And some of us will still have some hope left. No matter what the result will be, just know it is meant to be. You have done all you can, lets leave it to fate. Remember, an outcome is bad only when you viewed it bad. I wish you all good luck tomorrow!

Reactions: 8 users
Tomorrow is it!
Tomorrow, some of us will be in great excitement. Some of us will be in great depression. And some of us will still have some hope left. No matter what the result will be, just know it is meant to be. You have done all you can, lets leave it to fate. Remember, an outcome is bad only when you viewed it bad. I wish you all good luck tomorrow!
IT'S THE FINALL COUNTDOWNN....

Good luck to you all :) I've been following the thread, and I am cheering for you guys!

So excited for this rollarcoaster to end.I think we've all learned how to have the patience of buddah :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Hurry up and send me my rejection already

Reactions: 7 users