2016-2017 University of Arizona - Tucson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, so I guess more people were accepted today. Ha, it definitely surprised me... Now I really want to know how many spots are left?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got my 7th "round of acceptances sent but not you" email. Just end it already pleaseeeee :bang:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are very busy with the conspiracy theories. Please remember that many who post the negative articles here have not been invited to interview or may have been preliminarily rejected and may have also withdrawn their application. That said, we have been more than transparent during this cycle. This is the first time we've actively engaged in SDN as well as social medias as the cycle progresses.

If we were not re-reviewing you at every step, then we would have rejected you after your initial review. Also, holding multiple re-review sessions means that there are not new files introduced that particular meeting so we may specifically re-review each and every scored applicant who has been to either sub or full committee at that point.

We wish you the best as the cycle nears the close.

Good morning,

At the end of this application cycle will we ever be able to know how our application did during committee/sub-committee review if we are not offered an acceptance? Interview score? Overall score? I am committed to improving my application for admission to UA Tucson COM and feedback is ESSENTIAL for me. As a non- trad, I prepared for this application cycle for almost 2 years and went all in. Getting an interview this year was an incredible breakthrough for me and really confirmed for me that I am doing the right things so far, but if I am not accepted this cycle I'd need a better understanding on where I can improve.

Reactions: 1 user
Good morning,

At the end of this application cycle will we ever be able to know how our application did during committee/sub-committee review if we are not offered an acceptance? Interview score? Overall score? I am committed to improving my application for admission to UA Tucson COM and feedback is ESSENTIAL for me. As a non- trad, I prepared for this application cycle for almost 2 years and went all in. Getting an interview this year was an incredible breakthrough for me and really confirmed for me that I am doing the right things so far, but if I am not accepted this cycle I'd need a better understanding on where I can improve.

We do not advise applicants one on one. You will have the option of receiving general re applicant information at the end of the cycle, usually in June.

We do not advise applicants one on one. You will have the option of receiving general re applicant information at the end of the cycle, usually in June.

Are you able to tell us how many acceptances were sent out this morning, or how many spots are left? Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
I did the same before asking that poster to show me the evidence, the adcom has been nothing but open and honest with us during this process, and I also hope that applicants like this do not cause UA to operate differently in the future, because it is one of the reasons I am drawn to the school. It's very much in line with their culture as a school as well.

You're right. The only proof I have is anecdotal, a 2015 email from someone self identified as admissions staff responding to my questions on application processes, and my potentially flawed memory from my interview where yet other admission staff said we were reviewed at EVERY COMMITTEE MEETING. Maybe I am the only one who was told that we were re evaluated every round and given this impression.

@myboysiddartha I believe this was you back in November "You get reviewed each round, supposedly. Final decisions are in March, where you are told whether or not you are accepted if you haven't been told already. At that point, waitlists and rejections are sent out." Where did you get this info?

Edit: My opinion remains as stated:UACOM already knows who they want, who they don't want. Upon re-evaluation I retract my statement about them giving untruths. I'm sure they do the best they can.

Last edited:
I did the same before asking that poster to show me the evidence, the adcom has been nothing but open and honest with us during this process, and I also hope that applicants like this do not cause UA to operate differently in the future, because it is one of the reasons I am drawn to the school. It's very much in line with their culture as a school as well.

So in other words you're scared to speak out for what you believe because of fear of the unknown?? Future doctoring.

Cool to see acceptances rolling out so quick after another. Here's to good news for all of us soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my 7th "round of acceptances sent but not you" email. Just end it already pleaseeeee :bang:
Pleaseeee make it end. The waiting that is, not the notifications lol

BUT I do appreciate the updates sooooo much more than silence. This is such a great feature of the admissions process. I wish more schools were like this. Has anyone who received the hold email been accepted? If I remember correctly from my interview a few of the students I talked to said they received holds for a while and were accepted in March.

Reactions: 5 users
After 155 acceptances, how many people will be placed on the waitlist?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

After 155 acceptances, how many people will be placed on the waitlist?

It seems that based on previous posts by the Admissions that this school hasn't used the wait-list in years, so even making the wait-list would not be too great of an outlook for you.

@UAZ COM-T I appreciate your willingness to engage in discussion about your processes. Thank you

May I ask you: Are you saying that the committee does review us at every step/meeting or several times where all post interview applicants are re-reviewed throughout the cycle if they have been to full committee or sub committee?

Also, although you do not reject until March, there are no applicants who get post interview "hold" emails that the committee has decidedly deemed unlikely for admission?

Well this is going to get exciting! Only 44 more of us will reach the mountain-top and the rest will fall or have to look elsewhere for the promise land!... If I might make a suggestion for UA COM-T Admissions it would be to consider rounding up all of the remaining applicants and placing them in a gym for the most high stakes dodge-ball fight ever. The last ones standing get the remaining spots! (This might be helpful 'intel" for your houses to see which students that they would want on their teams).

Reactions: 2 users
Pleaseeee make it end. The waiting that is, not the notifications lol

BUT I do appreciate the updates sooooo much more than silence. This is such a great feature of the admissions process. I wish more schools were like this. Has anyone who received the hold email been accepted? If I remember correctly from my interview a few of the students I talked to said they received holds for a while and were accepted in March.
I agree. It's not s knock on the admissions committee. Just on this process in general. I can't wait to know where I'll be starting school this summer!

Well this is going to get exciting! Only 44 more of us will reach the mountain-top and the rest will fall or have to look elsewhere for the promise land!... If I might make a suggestion for UA COM-T Admissions it would be to consider rounding up all of the remaining applicants and placing them in a gym for the most high stakes dodge-ball fight ever. The last ones standing get the remaining spots! (This might be helpful 'intel" for your houses to see which students that they would want on their teams).
No pls! I just threw out my back. I won't do well lol

Just received my acceptance!!! Interviewed on 10/8

Reactions: 13 users
Just received my acceptance!!! Interviewed on 10/8
Congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing your interview date - helps those of us that have been waiting a long time remain hopeful :)

And thank you @UAZ COM-T Admissions for the continued transparency/communication and thank you especially for re-reviewing applicants - most schools do NOT do this and it is certainly appreciated.

Reactions: 9 users
@UAZ COM-T I appreciate your willingness to engage in discussion about your processes. Thank you

May I ask you: Are you saying that the committee does review us at every step/meeting or several times where all post interview applicants are re-reviewed throughout the cycle if they have been to full committee or sub committee?

Also, although you do not reject until March, there are no applicants who get post interview "hold" emails that the committee has decidedly deemed unlikely for admission?

Every meeting after your interview you are considered to possibly be sent to full committee AND also at the re-review meetings.

I'm sure those at the bottom of the scored applications list may not make it much further, but who knows, a committee member can still decide to pull them up for full committee.

Reactions: 3 users
Every meeting after your interview you are considered to possibly be sent to full committee AND also at the re-review meetings.

I'm sure those at the bottom of the scored applications list may not make it much further, but who knows, a committee member can still decide to pull them up for full committee.

Does the "not accepted yet" email coincide with how many times you've been reviewed by full committee? Based off of some replies from other applicants there have been varying amounts of those emails sent out to applicants and some even coming on different days. I know this might be silly to ask, but I was just trying to grab any kind of information I can. lol

Got the good news today! Interviewed on December 16th. Got 3 hold emails. The last one was 3 days ago :p

Reactions: 7 users
Glad to see these decisions being released in closer intervals. Although I still got the hold email on Friday and today, at least we're almost to the finish line. Hopefully we'll all hear good news soon!

Got the good news today! Interviewed on December 16th. Got 3 hold emails. The last one was 3 days ago :p
Would the people that got accepted this round mind posting their stats (gpa, LizzyM etc.) so that we could get a baseline idea of where matriculated students stand?

I just hope the wait list get utilized a lot this cycle.

You're right. The only proof I have is anecdotal, a 2015 email from someone self identified as admissions staff responding to my questions on application processes, and my potentially flawed memory from my interview where yet other admission staff said we were reviewed at EVERY COMMITTEE MEETING. Maybe I am the only one who was told that we were re evaluated every round and given this impression.

@myboysiddartha I believe this was you back in November "You get reviewed each round, supposedly. Final decisions are in March, where you are told whether or not you are accepted if you haven't been told already. At that point, waitlists and rejections are sent out." Where did you get this info?

My opinion remains as stated:"Its all a game. UACOM already knows who they want, who they don't want, and instead of just telling us that they drag it out and feed us untruths."
Wow that was way back haha I don't know where I heard that, but I also said supposedly as a disclaimer because I was not sure. I may have heard it from a friend also applying, if it was from the school, I would have been more certain about it.

Anyone else have this gut feeling that more acceptances are going out today??

It seems that based on previous posts by the Admissions that this school hasn't used the wait-list in years, so even making the wait-list would not be too great of an outlook for you.

But they said that they don't reject until all acceptances are sent out, at which point waitlists and rejections are sent. So that means that they do put people on the waitlist but I just don't know how many people.

But they said that they don't reject until all acceptances are sent out, at which point waitlists and rejections are sent. So that means that they do put people on the waitlist but I just don't know how many people.

What you said is true, but you might have misinterpreted my comment. There IS a wait-list but according to all the posts on previous year's threads, (and by the comments from UA COM-T on this year's thread), it appears that those people that get onto the waitlist don't get moved up into the acceptance category. I would check out last year's posts and also take a look at some of the previous comments about wait-lists on this thread.

It's specifically on pg. 23 of the thread from Admissions which states, "We have not utilized our wait-list for the past few years."

What you said is true, but you might have misinterpreted my comment. There IS a wait-list but according to all the posts on previous year's threads, (and by the comments from UA COM-T on this year's thread), it appears that those people that get onto the waitlist don't get moved up into the acceptance category. I would check out last year's posts and also take a look at some of the previous comments about wait-lists on this thread.

It's specifically on pg. 23 of the thread from Admissions which states, "We have not utilized our wait-list for the past few years."

I strongly believe the wait list will be used in this cycle. This is based on my observation and analysis of last year stats and this year stats. I assume the reason UA COM-T reduce the number of acceptance to 155 this year is to avoid last year's issue. After all, what is the purpose of establishing a wait list if you hardly ever use it?

About 32.5% (65/200) of the accepted applicants withdrew and chose a different program. If the percentage of accepted applicants withdrawing stays the same, we can expect 50 accepted applicants to choose a different program in this cycle. The total number of accepted will be down to 105. This will leave 12 open seats for the applicants on the wait list. These are just my observations. Don't take it too seriously, it could totally be different.

I strongly believe the wait list will be used in this cycle. This is based on my observation and analysis of last year stats and this year stats. I assume the reason UA COM-T reduce the number of acceptance to 155 this year is to avoid last year's issue. After all, what is the purpose of establishing a wait list if you hardly ever use it?

About 32.5% (65/200) of the accepted applicants withdrew and chose a different program. If the percentage of accepted applicants withdrawing stays the same, we can expect 50 accepted applicants to choose a different program in this cycle. The total number of accepted will be down to 105. This will leave 12 open seats for the applicants on the wait list. These are just my observations. Don't take it too seriously, it could totally be different.

I definitely like your math! I'm hoping that the wait-list is able to be heavily used this year... There is also the consideration that there is a 3rd medical school that is opening up in Arizona which will surely draw away some people towards it.

I definitely like your math! I'm hoping that the wait-list is able to be heavily used this year... There is also the consideration that there is a 3rd medical school that is opening up in Arizona which will surely draw away some people towards it.

You're right! Considering the number of people withdrawing their acceptances is the same or greater this year, there may be hope for waitlisted people. Although they can't accept more than 50% OOS so I wonder how many OOS they've accepted up to this point....

This 12 open seats may account for the 12 accepted PMAP students matriculating in. ???? Oh the many possibilities

This 12 open seats may account for the 12 accepted PMAP students matriculating in. ???? Oh the many possibilities

There were about 32 PMAP applicants. Only 10 got accepted. My friend, who was one of the 32 applicants, told me this. I believe the 10 is included in the current total accepted. The other 22 were rejected already.

OMG...ACCEPTED!!! Is what I would like to be able to say. Maybe if I keep putting it out in the universe :rofl:

Reactions: 6 users