2016-2017 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So in the email Davis sent out to the interviewees, it said 110 out of 500 applicants are accepted while 100 are waitlisted. From everywhere else I have read, I thought the acceptance rate was around 40% with waitlist, however I'm assuming it's got to be less than that because for it to be ~ 40%, that means nearly all of the 110 initially accepted students would have to deny their admissions offer. Does that seem reasonable?

Does anybody have any insight to how much waitlist movement Davis had last year?

Where did you hear 40%?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They overextend the number of seats and then on April 30, waitlisters will be picked. Definitely feeling undervalued here.

Accepted!

Got an email from the financial aid office. They wanted to provide me more information as I "awaited an offer of admission." This is clearly foreshadow for my acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
They overextend the number of seats and then on April 30, waitlisters will be picked. Definitely feeling undervalued here.
What do you mean they overextend the number of seats? As in they will accept more than 110 in addition to the 100 waitlisted?

Davis pulls extremely heavily from their waitlist. They do not give outright acceptances to more people than there are seats, according to information they gave us on my interview day last year. It is definitely not the norm.

Accepted!

Got an email from the financial aid office. They wanted to provide me more information as I "awaited an offer of admission." This is clearly foreshadow for my acceptance!

Are you sure that you are accepted? I got the same email from the financial office the Monday after my Friday interview....i interviewed on 10/14. I don't wanna crush your dreams, but I think they send that to everybody who interviewed. I hope we all get in tho.

What do you mean they overextend the number of seats? As in they will accept more than 110 in addition to the 100 waitlisted?
I emailed them asking them about their waitlist. I asked if they give out all their seats before April 30. They mentioned that they overextend the number seats...so basically give out more seats than they have and then pull from their waitlist on April 30 and later.

I emailed them asking them about their waitlist. I asked if they give out all their seats before April 30. They mentioned that they overextend the number seats...so basically give out more seats than they have and then pull from their waitlist on April 30 and later.
Ooh I see.. Hmm interesting. Thank you for sharing!

Saw this article on the school's website about the type of students UCD likes:
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medschool/features/2015-2016/20150807_som_induction.html

Disclaimer: Not sure if other admitted students aligned with that mission one way or another but I feel like this explained why I was accepted. I'm also not saying that if you were rejected, you didn't fit this "type" either.

Hey guys, current MS1 at Davis here. Congrats to all the new acceptances and good luck to the rest of you through this cycle! It has only just begun, and for me anyway it was a hell of a year.

For those of you wondering about what Davis looks for... I don't know the magic formula but I can tell you one thing they outright told us: they look for generosity of spirit. Remember this on interview day because you will have the opportunity to demonstrate this many times, in many ways.

Another thing about Davis: we have 4.0 students who turned down top 10 schools to come here, and also people who can't believe they got into medical school at all. We have people whose parents are doctors and we have people whose parents worked in the fields. There are a lot of first generation immigrants. Davis does have a NorCal mission, but also pulls from SoCal, and several of us were living on the East Coast when we were accepted. I think the majority of MS1 students currently are interested in EM, so I wouldn't precisely call us a primary-care-focused school (per se) at this point.

The uniting factor that we all see in ourselves is actually our diversity. Not in the sense of "diversity = a quota of POC," but true diversity.

What I want to tell you is: this is the school where you should make your unique offerings clear. They WANT people with unique perspectives. They WANT people who have struggled (and they do a lot to support us all getting through this process). And they really want to see kindness--which is necessary if we're ALL going to be able to get through.

It's not a perfect school, but I think it is a great great place, because I share the values that built our cohort. I think they're downright subversive, tbh, and I love it.

I hope this gives you guys some insight on what Davis looks for, and maybe some courage in expressing yourselves at your interviews!

Good luck again! And feel free to shoot me any questions! I'll try to answer.

Reactions: 15 users
Hey guys, current MS1 at Davis here. Congrats to all the new acceptances and good luck to the rest of you through this cycle! It has only just begun, and for me anyway it was a hell of a year.

For those of you wondering about what Davis looks for... I don't know the magic formula but I can tell you one thing they outright told us: they look for generosity of spirit. Remember this on interview day because you will have the opportunity to demonstrate this many times, in many ways.

Another thing about Davis: we have 4.0 students who turned down top 10 schools to come here, and also people who can't believe they got into medical school at all. We have people whose parents are doctors and we have people whose parents worked in the fields. There are a lot of first generation immigrants. Davis does have a NorCal mission, but also pulls from SoCal, and several of us were living on the East Coast when we were accepted. I think the majority of MS1 students currently are interested in EM, so I wouldn't precisely call us a primary-care-focused school (per se) at this point.

The uniting factor that we all see in ourselves is actually our diversity. Not in the sense of "diversity = a quota of POC," but true diversity.

What I want to tell you is: this is the school where you should make your unique offerings clear. They WANT people with unique perspectives. They WANT people who have struggled (and they do a lot to support us all getting through this process). And they really want to see kindness--which is necessary if we're ALL going to be able to get through.

It's not a perfect school, but I think it is a great great place, because I share the values that built our cohort. I think they're downright subversive, tbh, and I love it.

I hope this gives you guys some insight on what Davis looks for, and maybe some courage in expressing yourselves at your interviews!

Good luck again! And feel free to shoot me any questions! I'll try to answer.
This was beautiful!! thank you <3

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recent II's in the last 10 days?? Complete mid-July, so not looking good here. :hungover:

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone who submit their secondary end of August hear back for an interview or rejection?

Does anyone know when we hear back from track programs? Is it only after you interview and are accepted?

Anyone who got an II or acceptance currently a UC Davis student? I'm wondering if me still being in school or being a current UCD student (rather than one who graduated last year) put me at a disadvantage somehow. Submitted secondary in late July and absolutely no word back yet.

Just got an email that I'm wait listed. Interviewed 10/14

Just got an email that I'm wait listed. Interviewed 10/14

I wouldn't mind being on the waitlist. I think most waitlisted people get in for UC Davis. Also, could you share me your stats and if you thought you did well on your interview?

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind being on the waitlist. I think most waitlisted people get in for UC Davis. Also, could you share me your stats and if you thought you did well on your interview?

Although I'm a bit bummed out about wait list, but I'm thankful that I'm still in the game. Hopefully I get off the list.

My stats are not that amazing but I have ECs that align with Davis mission and two publications. 3.77 overall and 3.74 science. 509 MCAT.

Have you interviewed yet?

Am I the only one who got wait listed today? The page has been quiet today....

Although I'm a bit bummed out about wait list, but I'm thankful that I'm still in the game. Hopefully I get off the list.

My stats are not that amazing but I have ECs that align with Davis mission and two publications. 3.77 overall and 3.74 science. 509 MCAT.

A couple people have been rejected recently, so at least you're still in the running! They obviously don't just waitlist everyone. Sending good vibes your way, you still have a great chance this cycle :luck:

Yea, I interviewed on 10/21. We have comparable stats. 3.75 GPA and 510 MCAT here. My extracurriculars align decently, but my medically underserved background aligns well with the student run clinics they have. Still, I'm pretty worried because I know I messed up once or twice on the interview.

Good luck and hope to see you in Davis!

Last edited:
Nov 1st is here! I hope I hear back from them soon.

Nov 1st is here! I hope I hear back from them soon.
Based on the 10/14 interviews, seems like everyone is getting a response in around 2 weeks. Hopefully I get a call from Sousa this week. Sacramento area code is 916 right?

Accepted!

Are you sure that you are accepted? I got the same email from the financial office the Monday after my Friday interview....i interviewed on 10/14. I don't wanna crush your dreams, but I think they send that to everybody who interviewed. I hope we all get in tho.

Based on the 10/14 interviews, seems like everyone is getting a response in around 2 weeks. Hopefully I get a call from Sousa this week. Sacramento area code is 916 right?

Did you get more emails that foreshadow your acceptance? I hope you get in

Google the area code

Hi there, I sure did. It was quite an amazing experience. I hope you are allotted the same opportunity.

For those that have interviewed, was the interview more role-play based with an actor in the room and interviewer observing or traditional scenario based where you are given a prompt forehand and you talk to the interviewer about the prompt?

Edit: How is it like compared to Casper? (asking bc I had a pretty traumatic and rather unpleasant experience with Casper)

Last edited:
For those that have interviewed, was the interview more role-play based with an actor in the room and interviewer observing or traditional scenario based where you are given a prompt forehand and you talk to the interviewer about the prompt?

Edit: How is it like compared to Casper? (asking bc I had a pretty traumatic and rather unpleasant experience with Casper)
If we tell you we'll have to kill you

Did you get more emails that foreshadow your acceptance? I hope you get in

Google the area code

Yes, I did get more foreshadow. My counselor emailed me about an MPH event hosted by UC Davis. It's gonna happen. This Thursday!

Yes, I did get more foreshadow. My counselor emailed me about an MPH event hosted by UC Davis. It's gonna happen. This Thursday!
I keep getting podiatry emails. I guess this must foreshadow I will be accepted to multiple schools. It's gonna happen. :clap:

Lol. We funny. Keep your fingers crossed guys. Let's hope we all get in

Lol! I feel ya. I haven't even gotten an interview invite...

Me too :(

Love it! Lol.

Dear Until2021,

"I Wish You Would" just "Shake It Off". I hope there's no "Bad Blood" between us. Only a little while on the wait list before you're "Out Of The Woods".

Best,
UCD Adcom (totally not Taylor Swift)

Though seriously, best of luck!

Me too :(

Dear Until2021,

"I Wish You Would" just "Shake It Off". I hope there's no "Bad Blood" between us. Only a little while on the wait list before you're "Out Of The Woods".

Best,
UCD Adcom (totally not Taylor Swift)

Though seriously, best of luck!

Lol. Gotta love T-Swift!

Interviewed 10/14. Generic we have had 7000 applicants this year & we can't take you email seventeen days later.

Congrats to those waitlisted!

10/21 interviewees! Based on the 10/14 group, I think tomorrow should be when acceptances are given out for 10/21 group! Day of reckoning! Call me Sousa! <3

10/21 interviewees! Based on the 10/14 group, I think tomorrow should be when acceptances are given out for 10/21 group! Day of reckoning! Call me Sousa! <3
Really?? I thought they said 14 days!