2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the people interviewed and/or accepted here, could you post your stats if you haven't done so already?
Interviewed 9/16. LizzyM 73. Non-trad high school teacher. Accepted 10/19

Members don't see this ad.

Side note: does anyone have opinions on whether or not to attend second look weekend? I am already 100% sure I'm going to Michigan, but I have heard second look weekend is a good way to meet people/roommates and find housing. Not sure if I should bother taking the time off work and driving 7 hours to Ann Arbor.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Deferred decision just now.......
Im going crazy over here.
More waiting now.

Does anyone know how many people with deferrals generally get accepted?

Deferred decision just now.......
Im going crazy over here.
More waiting now.

Does anyone know how many people with deferrals generally get accepted?
you and me both bruh. doesn't seem like very many.

Does anyone know how to upload updates for shadowing hours? Just the hours, location, and office contact info on a pdf?

Side note: does anyone have opinions on whether or not to attend second look weekend? I am already 100% sure I'm going to Michigan, but I have heard second look weekend is a good way to meet people/roommates and find housing. Not sure if I should bother taking the time off work and driving 7 hours to Ann Arbor.
I am in the same boat.

Also, is there any other accepted students discussion forum besides the Facebook group? I don't use Facebook so.. :(

Does anyone know how to upload updates for shadowing hours? Just the hours, location, and office contact info on a pdf?
You can just send them in the body of an email. I've done this three times now b/c i'm desperate.

Members don't see this ad :)
41 acceptances went out today according to their twitter account.

I'm 95% sure I'm going to UMich and 100% sure I'm attending second look weekend. Theirs is apparently pretty great. Last year's class got to talk to Jim Harbaugh on the 50 yard line of the Big House. That's something I refuse to miss

Reactions: 3 users
I'm 95% sure I'm going to UMich and 100% sure I'm attending second look weekend. Theirs is apparently pretty great. Last year's class got to talk to Jim Harbaugh on the 50 yard line of the Big House. That's something I refuse to miss
Okay that's pretty legit. Just didn't want to make the trek to sit in a bunch of seminars about stuff I could get from the internet. Seems that is not the case at Michigan!

Im not getting my hopes up. I looked thru the past two years threads, and while Im sure there were some non-sdners, I couldn't find any examples of march deferrals getting accepted. Im kinda crushed rt now tbh. This was my last decision from my 3 interviews, with 2 WL's and now this.
I honestly thought my interview went great here.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Very excited to have been admitted today!!!! The video came to my spam folder, so be on the lookout there.

Interviewed on 12/9, IS, LM 73-74

Reactions: 5 users
Im not getting my hopes up. I looked thru the past two years threads, and while Im sure there were some non-sdners, I couldn't find any examples of march deferrals getting accepted. Im kinda crushed rt now tbh. This was my last decision from my 3 interviews, with 2 WL's and now this.
What do you mean by"march deferrals"

Same, at this point, I'm just assuming a rejection and moving on with my life. Hopefully one of my other two interviews (MSU and CMU) accept me

Same, at this point, I'm just assuming a rejection and moving on with my life. Hopefully one of my other two interviews (MSU and CMU) accept me

If you don't mind, stats? And did you have decent research/volunteering?

I'm not trying to spread conspiracies or anything, but for those of you who got deferred/accepted, did you or did you not take a gap year? Many of my UM friends from undergrad interviewed at UM Med this cycle, yet only the ones who took a gap year or two happened to get in. I know it's a small sample size (7 students), but I'm wondering if UM is heavily favoring students who took gap years, whether because of increased experiences, maturity, etc.

I'm not trying to spread conspiracies or anything, but for those of you who got deferred/accepted, did you or did you not take a gap year? Many of my UM friends from undergrad interviewed at UM Med this cycle, yet only the ones who took a gap year or two happened to get in. I know it's a small sample size (7 students), but I'm wondering if UM is heavily favoring students who took gap years, whether because of increased experiences, maturity, etc.

I'm a senior at UMich so you can add me to your stats of trad students who were deferred >.>

Everyone I know (2 is and 4 oos) took gap years and only 1 (oos) was accepted. So, nah.

I took 3 years to graduate undergrad, did 6 months of research abroad, and am currently finishing MPH over the past 1.5 years while applying. not really non-trad not reall trad, was deferred.

No gap year before applying here, but I was out of school for 4 years before starting undergrad while I served in the Marine Corps. I doubt its a maturity thing, either. I'm in my mid 20's, I've been married for 6.5 years and have 2 kids.

I'm currently taking a gap year and also took one after high school. I was interviewed and accepted, much to my surprise. The only other pre-med I know who applied to UMich did so straight out of college. She's a 4.0 student with ample research and clinical experience and a frustratingly high MCAT (also a Michigan resident) but she didn't even get an interview. I thought that was pretty weird.

2 gap years for me

I took two gap years. I don't think UM is necessarily favoring students who took gap years. But I also think taking gap years and using them wisely helped my application a lot. This is my first cycle applying, but I don't think I would have gotten into a school like UMich straight out of undergrad.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while finally decided to join...I was accepted yesterday, OOS, traditional student, LizyM 73. I am beyond thrilled as University of Michigan was by far my top choice! :)

Reactions: 2 users

I'm going straight through and I was accepted back in October. It felt like a lot of the people at my interview day had taken some time off, but it definitely wasn't everybody. I don't think that alone would make or break the decision.

Interviewed in November, accepted in December. OOS. LizzyM: ~71 (high MCAT, lowish GPA). Not straight through - I finished undergrad in June 2014. Good research, work, and clinical experience.

You're a vet with a LizzyM of 76? From what goro has said, that should translate to multiple top 20 admissions.

No research. No *official* shadowing at time of app, although i just submitted an update to all my apps yesterday with shadowing in it. Volunteering was only about 100 hours, but I figured the military service would balance that.
So not a perfect app, but I still felt comfortable with it.

No research. No *official* shadowing at time of app, although i just submitted an update to all my apps yesterday with shadowing in it. Volunteering was only about 100 hours, but I figured the military service would balance that.
So not a perfect app, but I still felt comfortable with it.

Is that 100 hours clinical or nonclinical volunteering?

Is that 100 hours clinical or nonclinical volunteering?
Emergency room volunteer. Mostly dealing with visitors. About 90 hours. Plus 8 hours volunteering at an albanian orphanage. Also had about 60 hours direct patient care in a nursing program clinical before I withdrew for premed.

I'm currently taking a gap year and also took one after high school. I was interviewed and accepted, much to my surprise. The only other pre-med I know who applied to UMich did so straight out of college. She's a 4.0 student with ample research and clinical experience and a frustratingly high MCAT (also a Michigan resident) but she didn't even get an interview. I thought that was pretty weird.
Hopefully she got accepted at another great med school

Did any other people's status pre II change to this?: "FILE COMPLETE -- Your file is now complete and under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some 'on hold' time while we compare groups of applicants. Thank you in advance for your patience during this lengthy period of time." Mine was something like this for a while but now it has the caps "FILE COMPLETE"

Did any other people's status pre II change to this?: "FILE COMPLETE -- Your file is now complete and under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some 'on hold' time while we compare groups of applicants. Thank you in advance for your patience during this lengthy period of time." Mine was something like this for a while but now it has the caps "FILE COMPLETE"
Are you looking at it in a different browser?
That happened to me earlier in the cycle, until I caught on that it showed up one way in IE and a different way in firefox.

Last edited:
I noticed the same thing a few days ago, good to know I'm not going too crazy.

Reactions: 1 users

+1

But I've noticed this happen a few times over the course of the cycle.

I've always used the same browser and it looks different to me, too. I'm pretty sure it used to say something along the lines of "rest assured that your application is still under consideration," and now it doesn't, so I'm not very optimistic.

I've always used the same browser and it looks different to me, too. I'm pretty sure it used to say something along the lines of "rest assured that your application is still under consideration," and now it doesn't, so I'm not very optimistic.

+1 mine changed to the caps too

Just got bored and searched old threads, and it would seem that not a single sdn member has been accepted from the march deferrals in the past 6 or 7 years at least. Maybe non-sdn, who knows. My hopes are pretty much gone at this point.....

Anyone join the UMich Class of 2021 FB group? I don't have a FB, but should I make one to join it? Is there useful information on it?