2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no rejection on portal or email. did have a status change, though: "FILE COMPLETE -- Your file is now complete and under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some 'on hold' time while we compare groups of applicants. Thank you in advance for your patience during this lengthy period of time."
"FILE COMPLETE" wasn't there before.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
still alive with FILE COMPLETE addendum. Not optimistic

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For us, it is a little bit less than 1.5 but that's because we have a 10 week summer to do research or something else. I could be wrong, but from what I've heard you will have that research time later on (which some people think is better because you can do research for whatever specialty you want to go into) so your preclinical curriculum will be about a year since that summer is taken out.

I chose Michigan because it was the only school where I felt had really good academics as well as work-life balance. M4s always tell us that in their residency interviews, they see you went to UM and assume you are clinically well trained and that it really helped them. I also really liked everyone that I met here and have really appreciated being able to handle school as well as having some free time. I honestly have more time to watch Netflix than I did in undergrad and I go out with my friends at least once a week. I also find time to work out and go home for the weekends sometimes. There are weeks where free time is scarce, but its med school and I do feel like I have much more time here than I would at another school. The administration is also really helpful and shortened a bunch of things for you guys so that you'll have more study time as well.

Thanks for the information

I love the school but I was wondering if you could tell me some "cons" of the school that you think incoming M1s should be aware of. I feel as if it's always easier to find the "pros".

I understand that. Getting students to speak on the cons of their school during the interview season can be difficult. My biggest cons are that the curriculum is too congested (full of unnecessary activities and requirements), can be disorganized, and lacks adequate time focused on practicing critical doctoring skills.

Last edited:
For us, it is a little bit less than 1.5 but that's because we have a 10 week summer to do research or something else. I could be wrong, but from what I've heard you will have that research time later on (which some people think is better because you can do research for whatever specialty you want to go into) so your preclinical curriculum will be about a year since that summer is taken out.

I chose Michigan because it was the only school where I felt had really good academics as well as work-life balance. M4s always tell us that in their residency interviews, they see you went to UM and assume you are clinically well trained and that it really helped them. I also really liked everyone that I met here and have really appreciated being able to handle school as well as having some free time. I honestly have more time to watch Netflix than I did in undergrad and I go out with my friends at least once a week. I also find time to work out and go home for the weekends sometimes. There are weeks where free time is scarce, but its med school and I do feel like I have much more time here than I would at another school. The administration is also really helpful and shortened a bunch of things for you guys so that you'll have more study time as well.

One thing I'm still kind of confused about is the Branches portion of the curriculum. We're doing what are normally M3 rotations in M2, so do the M4 rotations get moved to M3, or are they spread out? And with that extra year's worth of time, do we get to decide what to do with it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students on here: do you or does anyone you know in school live in/near Ypsilanti? If so, what are your thoughts on living farther away from school? Is it relatively easy to get to school via public transportation? It seems like you get a lot more for your dollar out in Ypsilanti, but I'm not sure if that makes up for being farther away from school.

I kind of prefer my version better:

upload_2017-1-30_12-34-52.png

it was fun while it lasted

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 7.23.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 7.23.30 PM.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: 8 users
It was real, it was good. But UMich, it wasn't real good...

upload_2017-1-30_19-54-18.png

If I just keep refreshing. That's it, if I just keep refreshing it will come. Field of Dreams style...Big House of Dreams.

Unusually strong... so that means that this cycle in general might be a bloodbath

Reactions: 1 user
A friend of mine who got accepted could see accepted picture profiles of other interviewees, and it seems of the 300+ applicants only 52 are instate....

A friend of mine who got accepted could see accepted picture profiles of other interviewees, and it seems of the 300+ applicants only 52 are instate....
Man, I know UM is known for screwing over in-state, but that number is absurd. A big middle finger to the taxpayers and state gov't, if true LOL (as I sit here bitterly in my UM undergrad class).

Reactions: 3 users
I mean IS matriculate In higher numbers and the last few days are almost exclusively IS (those decisions aren't out)... isn't their class like 85/85?

Man, I know UM is known for screwing over in-state, but that number is absurd. A big middle finger to the taxpayers and state gov't, if true LOL (as I sit here bitterly in my UM undergrad class).
Michigan's class of 2015 was 51% in state students. If I remember correctly the picture profile information is self-reported and may not necessarily reflect the applicants actual state of residence.

Michigan's class of 2015 was 51% in state students. If I remember correctly the picture profile information is self-reported and may not necessarily reflect the applicants actual state of residence.

The picture profile is actually made by admissions and send out to all accepted students. Just from doing a quick eye-ball, not that many IS and pretty big bias toward big name schools (US News T10) -- lots of Ivy League.

The picture profile is actually made by admissions and send out to all accepted students. Just from doing a quick eye-ball, not that many IS and pretty big bias toward big name schools (US News T10) -- lots of Ivy League.

The picture profile is made by the admissions but the location is self-reported. According to my residence, I would be a MA resident but I reported my hometown as Chicago, IL and is reported as such on the profile.

The picture profile is made by the admissions but the location is self-reported. According to my residence, I would be a MA resident but I reported my hometown as Chicago, IL and is reported as such on the profile.

Do you remember who the picture profile email came from? I'm having trouble finding it in my archived emails.

Negative. The applicant tells admissions what their "hometown" is and they simply put that on the picture profile. For example, my state of residence is different than what I put as my hometown on the picture profile.

Just got my rejection email.

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected as well. On a scale from 1 to UCSF, I give their rejection letter a 4. Glad they sent 'em out right away, at least. Good luck everyone else!

Rejected.

+1. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear after the interview. Now that interview season is close to over I am excited for you guys to hear about final decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected without an interview, ihy Carol :'(

Complete early sept. OOS, LM: 77-78, 1 gap year

Can we just add updates onto our portal for U of M?

axed, pre II

had their average matriculant stats, I wonder what they were looking for?

Do you remember who the picture profile email came from? I'm having trouble finding it in my archived emails.
It's in one of Carol's email titled Mpulse. It has a link at the bottom that says meet 170 or something