2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear that -- I'm still rooting for you, hopefully you'll be the first SDNer in 7 years!

Just got bored and searched old threads, and it would seem that not a single sdn member has been accepted from the march deferrals in the past 6 or 7 years at least. Maybe non-sdn, who knows. My hopes are pretty much gone at this point.....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got bored and searched old threads, and it would seem that not a single sdn member has been accepted from the march deferrals in the past 6 or 7 years at least. Maybe non-sdn, who knows. My hopes are pretty much gone at this point.....

If you search their twitter you'll see there were a couple people let in off the deferred list a year or two back... but, I personally feel the same about my deferred status. Feeling pretty hopeless and mad at myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
A person I know was accepted after being deferred last year! There is still hope!

Reactions: 2 users
A person I know was accepted after being deferred last year! There is still hope!

Does anyone know if they have a set percentage or number they remove from the deferred list? From their Twitter, they used to be so transparent about deferrals a few years back

Maybe no U-M Monday? Saw a couple of years ago a tweet that said U-M "Friday", gave out interviews on a Friday instead of Monday (later in cycle around this time).

Edit: 2 interviews this Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just called admissions and they said they are sending out invitations throughout this week and will begin closing files next week.

Some heros don't wear capes

Reactions: 15 users
rejected today on the portal, no email

Still says under review on portal for me... just cut me already Mich

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thoughts on the curriculum changes?
As another current student, I just wanted to say that overall I really like the curriculum changes. I think it will give us a lot more clinical exposure before having to decide what we want to do for residency. There have obviously been a few kinks but the administration is receptive to feedback and lots of these things will be improved by the time you guys start. Lots of things that were issues for the current M2s are much improved for us, and no medical school is perfect.

And as a side note, flex time quizzing is huge. We are obviously still really busy but I have way more free time than my friends at other medical schools do.

As another current student, I just wanted to say that overall I really like the curriculum changes. I think it will give us a lot more clinical exposure before having to decide what we want to do for residency. There have obviously been a few kinks but the administration is receptive to feedback and lots of these things will be improved by the time you guys start. Lots of things that were issues for the current M2s are much improved for us, and no medical school is perfect.

And as a side note, flex time quizzing is huge. We are obviously still really busy but I have way more free time than my friends at other medical schools do.

I love the school but I was wondering if you could tell me some "cons" of the school that you think incoming M1s should be aware of. I feel as if it's always easier to find the "pros".

Dear Michigan,

I get it. I know you're a 10 and I'm a 5, 6 on a good day. Sure, maybe if you've had a long night at Rick's I'll look like an 8, but we know it's not meant to be. In light of your recent rejections, don't make a fella wait any longer for the inevitable.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone still have the status:

Your file is now complete and under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some "on hold" time while we compare groups of applicants. Thank you in advance for your patience during this lengthy period of time.

I have a theory they will send out a few final IIs tomorrow as next week is the last interview day. I say this because A) someone called and they said they had a few more spots, B) it seems they are maybe ~40 interviews behind what they had last year, and C) I really hope this is the case!

Your file is now complete and under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some "on hold" time while we compare groups of applicants. Thank you in advance for your patience during this lengthy period of time.

I have a theory they will send out a few final IIs tomorrow as next week is the last interview day. I say this because A) someone called and they said they had a few more spots, B) it seems they are maybe ~40 interviews behind what they had last year, and C) I really hope this is the case!

Yep that's what I have

I love the school but I was wondering if you could tell me some "cons" of the school that you think incoming M1s should be aware of. I feel as if it's always easier to find the "pros".

Really good question. I don't really have mnay cons though. The things that my classmates and I often complain about are usually pretty minor (e.g. required seminars that we don't always get a lot out of, reflection assignments, etc.). Due to the new curriculum, things can also be disorganized sometimes. Since our class is going through all of the new sequences now though, you all should have fewer problems as it will be the second run through of the new curriculum. They did have to condense the preclinical curriculum a bit, which may bother some people. I feel like we're covering everything pretty well and would rather spend more time in a clinical setting where you learn things in real life, but others might feel differently.

Really good question. I don't really have mnay cons though. The things that my classmates and I often complain about are usually pretty minor (e.g. required seminars that we don't always get a lot out of, reflection assignments, etc.). Due to the new curriculum, things can also be disorganized sometimes. Since our class is going through all of the new sequences now though, you all should have fewer problems as it will be the second run through of the new curriculum. They did have to condense the preclinical curriculum a bit, which may bother some people. I feel like we're covering everything pretty well and would rather spend more time in a clinical setting where you learn things in real life, but others might feel differently.

Is the pre-clinical curriculum 1 year or 1.5 years? It's hard to tell from the website.

What made you definitively decide to attend Michigan?

What do you do for fun outside of school?

right? They're about 100 admissions offers short too.

right? They're about 100 admissions offers short too.

I don't think their current number includes the 41 offers from the last round...

Let's hope several go to deferred applicants!! Show me some love, Blue!

Oh man so disappointed at not getting love from AA this year. Holding on to that last thread of hope

+1 for portal rejection. Stings a little, but I still love you, UMich. Good luck to all others still in the race!

What status shows on the portal that indicates you've been rejected? I'm just looking for closure at this point lol.
If you go to the checklist, the status should read at the top. Mine said "FILE CLOSED" in all caps and then explained that I would not be offered an interview

If you go to the checklist, the status should read at the top. Mine said "FILE CLOSED" in all caps and then explained that I would not be offered an interview

Ahh. I see. Only a matter of time. I feel like a member in the string quartet at the end of Titanic.

+1 exact same thing for me on the checklist.

Is the pre-clinical curriculum 1 year or 1.5 years? It's hard to tell from the website.

What made you definitively decide to attend Michigan?

What do you do for fun outside of school?

For us, it is a little bit less than 1.5 but that's because we have a 10 week summer to do research or something else. I could be wrong, but from what I've heard you will have that research time later on (which some people think is better because you can do research for whatever specialty you want to go into) so your preclinical curriculum will be about a year since that summer is taken out.

I chose Michigan because it was the only school where I felt had really good academics as well as work-life balance. M4s always tell us that in their residency interviews, they see you went to UM and assume you are clinically well trained and that it really helped them. I also really liked everyone that I met here and have really appreciated being able to handle school as well as having some free time. I honestly have more time to watch Netflix than I did in undergrad and I go out with my friends at least once a week. I also find time to work out and go home for the weekends sometimes. There are weeks where free time is scarce, but its med school and I do feel like I have much more time here than I would at another school. The administration is also really helpful and shortened a bunch of things for you guys so that you'll have more study time as well.

Rejection today via portal as well. I'll always love this school because of my undergrad years but this one hurts :(