2016-2017 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If your board member gave you good news, believe him! My board member last year told me not to rely on the waiting list and low and behold I didn't get in. This year I was waitlisted again, but the board member was very genuine. She said my interviewers were impressed with my progress this past year and were happy with my responses. It was just that my academics are right on the average (3.7ish c, 3.5ish s, 507 MCAT). She said I wasn't number one on the wait list but with my rank I may hear good news from OU within the next month. That being said, they *do* know your rank on the waiting list, but I'm sure it's official policy not to tell you. Be happy! Sounds like your BM tried to give you the "thumbs up" without being too obvious.

Going back to my previous response, though, in the *very* off chance that you don't get in, your interviewers next year *will* see the plan set up by you and your board member. That being said, if you don't get in this year, follow through with what your board member said! My interviewers knew that I was waitlisted after opening my file and were impressed that I followed through with the reapplicant plan set beforehand.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Going back to my previous response, though, in the *very* off chance that you don't get in, your interviewers next year *will* see the plan set up by you and your board member. That being said, if you don't get in this year, follow through with what your board member said! My interviewers knew that I was waitlisted after opening my file and were impressed that I followed through with the reapplicant plan set beforehand.

Hey, I am currently on waitlist for OUMED. I was not able to attend the re-applicant workshop this year, but is there any other way I can contact the school to get feedback on my application? Looking at other students scores, I am feeling anxious because my MCAT is not close to their average...does that put it way behind in the waitlist?

Hey, I am currently on waitlist for OUMED. I was not able to attend the re-applicant workshop this year, but is there any other way I can contact the school to get feedback on my application? Looking at other students scores, I am feeling anxious because my MCAT is not close to their average...does that put it way behind in the waitlist?

I would email OUMED and ask about getting feedback. As far as putting you on the waitlist, it all depends; admissions offers are based on a numerical score that is given to each applicant after their interview. Each applicant is scored based on academics (gpa + MCAT) , extra currics, and interview, and the 3 are added up to to give a score. The first 16oish are given interview offers while the next 50-60 are put on the waitlist. That being said, a person with a stellar MCAT might score lower if their interview and experiences aren't great. On the other hand, a person with a low MCAT might score better than the previous if they have stellar extra currics and a good interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have been off for a while, but I was not offered a seat at OU. Fortunately will still be going to medical school in the fall, certainly happy with the outcome overall. Congrats to everyone who got in and best of luck to those on the waitlist!

Has anyone called admissions recently for an update on the waitlist?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I called last Thursday and they had taken 3 off the waitlist, but 30 people still hold multiple acceptances. They have to decide by April 30th though, so hopefully there will be some movement around then.

Reactions: 1 users
Have been off for a while, but I was not offered a seat at OU. Fortunately will still be going to medical school in the fall, certainly happy with the outcome overall. Congrats to everyone who got in and best of luck to those on the waitlist!
Congrats Tungston! Where you headed, if I may ask?

Just kidding, just saw you on the OSU page. I was accepted there today!

Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I am curious if anyone knows what supplies (i.e. stethoscope, etc.) are required to be purchased before school starts. Would be nice to estimate for budgeting purposes...

Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I am curious if anyone knows what supplies (i.e. stethoscope, etc.) are required to be purchased before school starts. Would be nice to estimate for budgeting purposes...
Current MS1 here!

Coming in, I didn't purchase any supplies other than a new laptop, but that's completely at your own discretion. There's even talk that, beginning with your class, you'll get laptops rented/included in your attendance so you shouldn't worry about that unless you wanted to update your own personal laptop. They'll say you need all these specific req's for a laptop but you really just need something that runs and connects to wifi. Our alumni association is gracious enough to provide stethoscopes as well. If you'd like to talk more in depth about budgeting, feel free to PM me!

Good luck to those on the waitlist and congrats to those of you coming up here in the fall!

We've been told that all the HSC incoming classes are getting laptops because of the complications that the school had in trying to encrypt everyone's laptop this year. If I am not mistaken, incoming students have the choice of being able to pick between a PC or Mac which will have the encryption software already installed.

We've been told that all the HSC incoming classes are getting laptops because of the complications that the school had in trying to encrypt everyone's laptop this year. If I am not mistaken, incoming students have the choice of being able to pick between a PC or Mac which will have the encryption software already installed.

Ugh that whole laptop encryption nonsense was and still is the worst

I would email OUMED and ask about getting feedback. As far as putting you on the waitlist, it all depends; admissions offers are based on a numerical score that is given to each applicant after their interview. Each applicant is scored based on academics (gpa + MCAT) , extra currics, and interview, and the 3 are added up to to give a score. The first 16oish are given interview offers while the next 50-60 are put on the waitlist. That being said, a person with a stellar MCAT might score lower if their interview and experiences aren't great. On the other hand, a person with a low MCAT might score better than the previous if they have stellar extra currics and a good interview.

So I was able to get feedback and I've started on that. Now I guess...just have to wait until more seats open up!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was able to get feedback and I've started on that. Now I guess...just have to wait until more seats open up!
Can only move foward :) Good for you on getting a start! Worst-case scenario, you get dropped but you're that much more prepared next year.

So, looks like OU is not providing incoming MS1s with laptops after all. The announcement did not state that exact reason for why they aren't moving forward all of a sudden.

If any of you all are applying to this upcoming cycle and need something to do over the next year, I invite you all to look in to this year long internship at the Stephenson Cancer Center. I participated in this internship this year, and it was an incredible experience. If you need clinical experience and have any interest in clinical research, this is a great opportunity to do both. (It pays and includes benefits too, which is always a plus.) It's a full time position that lasts about a year. There is more information on the flyer if you're interested.

Attachments

• ResearchDataManagers_2017.pdf
    106.2 KB · Views: 100
Anyone heard about the waitlist lately?
I just got an email with my acceptance! I feel so blessed y'all! What is the next step? Haha I was planning for next year:) Is there a Facebook page, etc?

I just got an email with my acceptance! I feel so blessed y'all! What is the next step? Haha I was planning for next year:) Is there a Facebook page, etc?

Congrats! To join the FB page, you're gonna have to befriend David Ross-Boyd (his zombie fb) David Ross-Boyd and then you'll get an invite from him to join the page. Alternatively, shoot me a PM and I'll put you in myself.

There have only been 11 people taken off waitlist. Is this about the same amount as a normal year or is this much less. 11 seems really low. Anyone have any idea?

11 does seem really low for this late in the game. I think in the past few years around ~30 have been accepted off the waitlist. Agh. I haven't given up hope yet!

There have only been 11 people taken off waitlist. Is this about the same amount as a normal year or is this much less. 11 seems really low. Anyone have any idea?

This seems extremely low to me. I think most years somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 people get in off the waitlist.

Waitlisted applicant here. Called early June and was also told eleven people had been taken off the list. Has anyone heard any updates since then? Sorry to ask such a redundant question, I am just wondering.

Hey fellow future doctors! Just wanted to chime in and say I have declined my offer to OU, and I know my position will be filled with one of you deserving waitlisted applicants. So keep strong! Wait list is definitely still moving. I was accepted off the wait list here, and you can too!

I was offered a spot at the Tulsa campus this morning and accepted.

Hey everyone I have been wondering, if a position is offered, is it in writing or email? The original email said that any change in your status would be sent out in writing, but I saw earlier that someone mentioned receiving an email with their acceptance. Thanks for any help and good luck with the next week.

Hey fellow future doctors! Just wanted to chime in and say I have declined my offer to OU, and I know my position will be filled with one of you deserving waitlisted applicants. So keep strong! Wait list is definitely still moving. I was accepted off the wait list here, and you can too!
Where did you accept?

Just FYI, I called and was told 29 have been taken off of the waitlist for this round so far.

Hi all.

I go back next week to start MS II year!! So first congrats to all of your new MSIs starting in a few weeks and second shoot me an email if you have any questions

Do we know if there have been cuts off of the waitlist?

I got cut from the waitlist this morning. So yes, looks like they are trimming it as it gets closer to the start of classes.

I got cut from the waitlist this morning. So yes, looks like they are trimming it as it gets closer to the start of classes.

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm surprised they are still doing things like that at this point in the process. If you don't mind me asking, was it by email, phone call, or something else?

It was by email.

Yea I feel like a total chump. I just checked and the same email popped up in my spam filter. Best of luck in future applications and good job for even making it this far! Is an accomplishment in its own even though it hurts right now.

Yea I feel like a total chump. I just checked and the same email popped up in my spam filter. Best of luck in future applications and good job for even making it this far! Is an accomplishment in its own even though it hurts right now.
I got it too. Best of luck to everyone next round or at other programs.

Hi! Sorry didn’t know where to post this but did your class get laptops from the school?