2016-2017 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just a heads up, UVA is known to use the same prompts every year

Here are last years:

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school? (350 words)

2. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? (350 words)

3. Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it? (350 words)

how does this school view OOS applicants? my fiancee is from VA and will most likely want to move back.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Online it says that the secondary opens on 7/6. Has anyone received an email with a link?

Can you get to the secondary there? Or do they need to email it?
I got this email with a link:
Dear flajack3d

Your verified AMCAS application for the entering class of 2017 has been received by the University of Virginia School of Medicine. Please go to the following website and follow the instructions for completing the University of Virginia's Supplemental Application online and submitting all other required materials:

https://apply.med.virginia.edu/amp

Login: Your AMCAS ID number

Password: dickbutt

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't gotten an email yet, but if you click "forgot password" and enter your AMCAS ID, the password will be sent to you and you can access the application. :angelic:

What are the prompts looking like?

Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?
How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

I got this email with a link:
Dear flajack3d

Your verified AMCAS application for the entering class of 2017 has been received by the University of Virginia School of Medicine. Please go to the following website and follow the instructions for completing the University of Virginia's Supplemental Application online and submitting all other required materials:

https://apply.med.virginia.edu/amp

Login: Your AMCAS ID number

Password: dickbutt

You the real MVP

Members don't see this ad :)
It's weird when I look at communication status it says they sent an email on the 6th but I never got it.

Same. I'm not going to start yet, though, mostly because I have other secondaries right now and paranoia that they'd count starting the secondary before the email against me in the admissions process.

Yeah it seems like a bad idea to fill out the secondary before you get an invite to do so. I don't know about UVA but I know other schools that automatically withdraw your application if you do that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yeah it seems like a bad idea to fill out the secondary before you get an invite to do so. I don't know about UVA but I know other schools that automatically withdraw your application if you do that.

Which other schools?? That seems extreme o_O

I'll probably wait as well, but mine also says I was sent an email inviting me to apply on July 6 at like 8 AM, but that definitely never made it to my inbox. Might try to contact them to see what's up and if I should go ahead and submit anyway.

(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited:
When I was applying for college about 6 years ago, a few students figured out they got accepted by Stanford before it officially released admissions decisions. I think they did this through manipulating the online portal. Stanford rescinded all of their offers. I would refrain from completing or submitting UVA's secondary application without receiving an email from them.

Oops, too late for me. They also had already downloaded all my LOR's and everything and the portal said I was sent an email on July 6th. Seems like they basically expected me to have access to it already so I hope nothing happens since it's a pretty honest mistake.

Last edited:
Which other schools?? That seems extreme o_O

I'll probably wait as well, but mine also says I was sent an email inviting me to apply on July 6 at like 8 AM, but that definitely never made it to my inbox. Might try to contact them to see what's up and if I should go ahead and submit anyway.

Yeah I would probably contact them and ask about it. It's odd that you somehow didn't get an email even though the system says they sent you one. I'm curious to know what they say.

Yeah I would probably contact them and ask about it. It's odd that you somehow didn't get an email even though the system says they sent you one. I'm curious to know what they say.

I guess I'll be the guinea pig for whether sending the secondary despite the email getting lost will get me rejected or not. Seems kind of harsh given that it'd be a pretty honest/non-malicious mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I feel like I'll be ok because I had a certain thought process that led me to think submitting would be ok.

1. I requested a password figuring that if I hadn't been supposed to receive a secondary, I wouldn't have a password.
2. I knew about the past communications tab from other secondaries and for whatever reason, I thought it'd be appropriate to check and see if the UVA system had generated one for me before doing anything. It had, and so I felt that if it was somehow not received it was just an error and I was supposed to complete the secondary.
3. The link I followed was posted on the internet so it's not as if I had access to something other applicants didn't.

Hopefully UVA is merciful, or better yet, simply doesn't care. Ugh, this reminds me of that time when I took a test late because of travel for an EC and looked online at the professor's key which he posted not realizing he'd give me the same test. Technically wasn't my fault but maybe kind of thoughtless and he was upset about it.

Hopefully they send the actual application today. The date on their website also says July 6 for the secondary becoming available. It seems like there may be a glitch in the system.

I called the admissions office and told them how I was able to access the secondary through a link and see that I was sent an email, but never received it. The person I spoke to went into my account and confirmed that I was sent the email on the 6th, and re-sent the email, which arrived fine in my inbox. Informed them about the problem that lots of applicants have been having. Hopefully y'all get your secondary emails soon.

Reactions: 3 users
I succumbed and emailed about the discrepancies with the website.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If they respond tomorrow, I'll let you know! If not, I'm convinced that the secondary might show up first.

Could you let us know what they say? I'd love to know if not receiving the email is an anomaly!

They resent the invite and apologized for the missing July 6 email, which should have been sent.

hmmm I can't decide if I wanna call or wait and see if they resend it due to all of the problems

I think I'm just going to submit once I finish the essays regardless of whether I get the email or not, it seems pretty clear that they intended for everyone to have access by this point

I think I'm just going to submit once I finish the essays regardless of whether I get the email or not, it seems pretty clear that they intended for everyone to have access by this point

Yeah the nice secretary at UVA didn't seem to care at all about how I was able to get into it and she seemed more concerned that people just didn't have their secondaries because the email didn't make it out.

Last edited:
I think UVA just resent the invite email to everyone.

Are you guys referring to the school as UVA SOM or UVA in the essays? I did spell out "University of Virginia School of Medicine" at the beginning but I am like 5 words over and the only way I can think of getting rid of words is by getting rid of "SOM" throughout the rest of it.

Are you guys referring to the school as UVA SOM or UVA in the essays? I did spell out "University of Virginia School of Medicine" at the beginning but I am like 5 words over and the only way I can think of getting rid of words is by getting rid of "SOM" throughout the rest of it.

Just UVA. I had to use contractions in some essays to shorten them as well.

Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

@WedgeDawg

Also, what do current students think about the Next Generation curriculum at UVA?

no II yet?

Interviews start on 9/6 so I imagine they'll be coming out soon. The first IIs were sent out right around this date last year, and even earlier in previous years. I'll be surprised if there aren't any this week.

Does anyone know this schools update letter policy? I have a major typo in my AMCAS primary, and this has been one of few secondaries without an update section.