2016-2017 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they really having this high of a retention rate among current acceptees or are they just still in the evaluation phase for giving acceptances to waitlisted applicants? Several people on here have withdrawn.

Members don't see this ad.

Are they really having this high of a retention rate among current acceptees or are they just still in the evaluation phase for giving acceptances to waitlisted applicants? Several people on here have withdrawn.
They accept over 156 :/

Members don't see this ad :)
From a post from LizzyM, it seems most schools know more or less how many people to accept total to get the perfect number of enrolled students, leaning on the side of caution for not overaccepting students. Ex: accept 280 for 150 spots.

Any error in that calculation leaves room for people to come off a waitlist. Or so it seems.

I was accepted/am matriculating here. We just got an email that they overfilled the class and are asking people to defer a year. Offering incentives

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted/am matriculating here. We just got an email that they overfilled the class and are asking people to defer a year. Offering incentives

Yeah and it's kind of a pitiful amount lol.... wondering if it's because it's a few student larger, they're just hoping some drop and it's not that serious.

Yeah sorry UVA but I'm coming for you in the fall, I'm ready to start fighting for my goal!

b1ed10353072666625e32a3f6726a89f.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Right? Like hey defer one more year of an attendings salary for $10,000 of our $80,000 COA. Noooope

We'll find out soon how many students took up the offer and the seriousness if we get an email next week increasing the scholarship amount.

The last paragraph of the email made me laugh too, I seriously doubt the med school is thrilled about having an over-enrollment problem. And I could see how getting a few thousand more applications means popularity is rising, but not from having a couple more students deciding to matriculate.

We'll find out soon how many students took up the offer and the seriousness if we get an email next week increasing the scholarship amount.

The last paragraph of the email made me laugh too, I seriously doubt the med school is thrilled about having an over-enrollment problem. And I could see how getting a few thousand more applications means popularity is rising, but not from having a couple more students deciding to matriculate.

It seems like everyone this year has been stingier with acceptances while employing analysis to help them indentify the people most likely to accept their offer somehow, at least that's the discussion I've been seeing around SDN. Seems schools are getting better at finding people who will matriculate, maybe that's what got UVA into this predicament somehow

ha guess my waitlist dreams are over. Still gunna be an MD so idgaf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything about classes? I received the orientation email today, but it seems like we are broken into different groups, yet I have no idea which group is mine. My portal says nothing. I'll call tomorrow, but I was hoping someone here might have an answer. Thanks!!

Has anyone heard anything about classes? I received the orientation email today, but it seems like we are broken into different groups, yet I have no idea which group is mine. My portal says nothing. I'll call tomorrow, but I was hoping someone here might have an answer. Thanks!!

Not sure if we'll all have the same class schedule or if each college/society will have different classes. They might go over it when we're actually at orientation. I'm more concerned about getting an email address which I've still heard nothing about haha

Don't worry about it. If you need any information they'll get it to you by the time you need to know it - go enjoy your summer (!!!!!!!).

Not sure if we'll all have the same class schedule or if each college/society will have different classes. They might go over it when we're actually at orientation. I'm more concerned about getting an email address which I've still heard nothing about haha
Google: "how to activate UVA email"