2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whenever I log into my application portal to check my status it is completely blank (MD/PhD applicant) and has been for a few days now. It was previously showing the standard post-submission message. Has anyone else experienced this or should I give them a call? Thanks!
 
I mean posting the same question in every thread is undoubtedly excessive.

It's great that we want to give feedback to others, could be nicer though.

I'm no SJW or anything, but I have personally dealt with bullying/cyber bullying in the past so it irks me a bit to see a comment like that with 10+ likes. I understand that the comment might have also been in jest, but that might not translate so well over text.

Just think we could all be more supportive to each other as a community 🙂
 
It's great that we want to give feedback to others, could be nicer though.

I'm no SJW or anything, but I have personally dealt with bullying/cyber bullying in the past so it irks me a bit to see a comment like that with 10+ likes. I understand that the comment might have also been in jest, but that might not translate so well over text.

Just think we could all be more supportive to each other as a community 🙂

Yes I agree, everyone should be considerate, including the people cross posting. He was still given advice and nicely asked to refrain from repeatedly asking the question.
 
Did anyone on here get an interview after receiving this status update?:

The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.
 
Did anyone on here get an interview after receiving this status update?:

The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

Got this today but no email or anything.
 
Did your status change when you submitted your secondary? I submitted earlier today and can't find any indication that I submitted on the portal. Except that I now don't have a link to the supplemental...am I losing my mind?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow yea I just noticed this too on my portal:

"We use the Multiple-Mini Interview (MMI) technique for our interview process. The MMI was developed by McMaster University in Ontario for their M.D. program for nearly 20 years. Duke University and Virginia Tech Carillion have also implemented the MMI interview process.

The MMI process will consist of nine questions. The first question is a traditional interview question and will be asked by all of the interviewers. You will have 2 minutes to read the question and prepare your thoughts and 16 minutes for interaction with an interviewer. ONLY 16 minute interaction. Questions two through nine are designed to help assess an applicant's attributes in the following areas: responsibility, ethical and moral judgment, communication and management skills, problem solving and conflict resolution and teamwork. You will have 2 minutes to read the question and 8 minutes for interaction with an interviewer. ONLY 8 minute interaction. "
 
Wow yea I just noticed this too on my portal:

"We use the Multiple-Mini Interview (MMI) technique for our interview process. The MMI was developed by McMaster University in Ontario for their M.D. program for nearly 20 years. Duke University and Virginia Tech Carillion have also implemented the MMI interview process.

The MMI process will consist of nine questions. The first question is a traditional interview question and will be asked by all of the interviewers. You will have 2 minutes to read the question and prepare your thoughts and 16 minutes for interaction with an interviewer. ONLY 16 minute interaction. Questions two through nine are designed to help assess an applicant's attributes in the following areas: responsibility, ethical and moral judgment, communication and management skills, problem solving and conflict resolution and teamwork. You will have 2 minutes to read the question and 8 minutes for interaction with an interviewer. ONLY 8 minute interaction. "
I really wish it wasn't MMI.
 
Sure! I had a 3.34 undergrad, 3.77 post-bacc, 3.89 masters degree. I took the MCAT 3X: 25, 25, and 27. I also worked directly with patients 6mo+ at a clinic and did 3+ years research both undergrad and as a job. The list goes on..

I'm in-state and was a re-applicant last cycle. I finished my primary by June 11th, received my VCU secondary July 2nd, completed two weeks later on July 16th, and had an interview September 17th. Accepted on October 16th.
This might seem off topic, but Could someone who has taken their pre-med required courses 9 years ago, still apply for post-bacc at this school you attended?
 
Did anyone else's text get blocked together in the secondary? if so, how did you fix it?
What do you mean by "blocked together"? My paragraphs were slightly reformatted, but I didn't really worry about it and submitted it anyway.
 
Is there anyone else on here that submitted their secondary app before July 15th and still haven't received a response other than the "your file will undergo a review by the subcommittee ".
 
Is there anyone else on here that submitted their secondary app before July 15th and still haven't received a response other than the "your file will undergo a review by the subcommittee ".

I have the same status and complete before July 15th. Hoping this means they really like us and just want to keep re-reading our essays because they're so good?!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected through the portal!

Good luck to all other applicants still in the running! With us weeded out, I hope that you all have a better chance at an interview/acceptance in the future

Status update email?
 
How long did it take people's status to change from "You have been granted a supplemental application. You have 60 days from the date of this notice to complete your file. Be certain to read the "Supplemental Instructions" carefully before filling out your application..." I submitted last week but my portal still says the same thing. Any advice?
 
Oh, man I submitted right around those dates and I still haven't had news on my portal. Hopefully that turns out to be a good thing. Sorry to everyone that got rejected but chin up, I am sure you guys will get some love from other places!
 
July 22nd. It's cool, I also woke up to an II from a different school this morning. Gotta keep everything balanced in the universe I suppose
Well that's great! With your MCAT, I hope your Canadian status doesn't hold you back. Good to see you have two IIs though. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, thanks. I'm stuck at 'your file review is complete'.... so patiently waiting for my rejection.

It sounds like those that were rejected were rejected straight away instead of receiving the "Your file review is complete. If you are granted an interview, you will be notified" status. Sounds like you were placed on hold instead.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
 
It sounds like those that were rejected were rejected straight away instead of receiving the "Your file review is complete. If you are granted an interview, you will be notified" status. Sounds like you were placed on hold instead.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
I believe this is the hold status: 'Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."