-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Weird, I just got the "complete" status but it doesn't have the bit about potentially being on hold. I only have the first sentence. Maybe because I didn't indicate any future coursework or MCAT retakes?
Weird, I just got the "complete" status but it doesn't have the bit about potentially being on hold. I only have the first sentence. Maybe because I didn't indicate any future coursework or MCAT retakes?
I believe they are updating the complete status to the simple 1 paragraph one in order to prevent more people from freaking out and calling about potentially being on hold. 🙂 My status changed to the shorter one a few days ago.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Weird, I just got the "complete" status but it doesn't have the bit about potentially being on hold. I only have the first sentence. Maybe because I didn't indicate any future coursework or MCAT retakes?
I have had both statuses. Started with the hold part, then without the hold part for a while and now with it again. Honestly I think it's just random.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Weird, I just got the "complete" status but it doesn't have the bit about potentially being on hold. I only have the first sentence. Maybe because I didn't indicate any future coursework or MCAT retakes?
+1
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Rooting for YOU!!!!!!!! @Aubrey GrahamSame.
Was a huge underdog last year and made it in (just barely, but I'm here!!), keep the faith+1. I am somewhat of an underdog myself and I would love some advice on how I can make myself standout.
Probably trying to make amends for last year's.All I know is that VCU's Admission's Committee has its **** together. Very happy with the open communication and updates, too.
👍👍 Two thumbs way up
And to all those wondering about the delays. VCU got nearly 10k applications last year, would assume it is close to that if not more this year, it takes time. I cannot stress this enough the cycle is LONG, and stressful. Take a xanax, relax and just let the chips fall as they may, barring the interview itself, you have zero control of what happens after you submit.
As an M1 here I am just barely getting my feet wet into medical school, but I would be happy to answer any questions I can.
Last edited:
As an M1 here I am just barely getting my feet wet into medical school, but I would be happy to answer any questions I can.
What were your stats lol
What were your stats lol
non-URM, 3.74, 506, no research at time of application. Got off waitlist after May
non-URM, 3.74, 506, no research at time of application. Got off waitlist after May
I love this school but I'm OOS and don't have much volunteering or shadowing (maybe 300 hours total, which seems on the lower end these days). Does your class have a lot of students from the west coast? Also, does the school place a big emphasis on volunteering?
I love this school but I'm OOS and don't have much volunteering or shadowing (maybe 300 hours total, which seems on the lower end these days). Does your class have a lot of students from the west coast? Also, does the school place a big emphasis on volunteering?
Approximately 50% of this year's class came from OOS, and of those OOS students just under 40% came from California. There are a few people from other west coast states, but CA is definitely the majority.
The school doesn't outright state they are looking for a lot of volunteer experience. However, I have heard the admissions committee say multiple times that they look for applicants who are genuinely nice and caring, so I definitely think having volunteer experience would help show that. VCU also offers the med students a 4-year program specifically aimed for those interested in working with the underserved, so giving back to the community does seem to be a priority of theirs. Hope that provided some insight 🙂
How long are you with each person in MMI interviews? Not really looking for specifics just in general from anyone with experience.
There are eight ten-minute MMI stations - two minutes to read the prompt and eight minutes to discuss with the interviewer.
Just checked my status on the portal: rejected post-secondary. Good luck to everyone still in the game!
Sorry to hear. Good luck elsewhere. Mind sharing your stats?
Sorry to hear. Good luck elsewhere. Mind sharing your stats?
LizzyM ~69, OOS, about 10k hours of clinical experience as clinical pharmacist, good ECs, good letters
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LizzyM ~69, OOS, about 10k hours of clinical experience as clinical pharmacist, good ECs, good letters
I'm surprised you were rejected especially this early. This process is certainly unpredictable.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wow congrats! Stats/Completion Date/URM status if you don't mind? You are running at about a 25% II rate out of all the secondaries you have submitted ALREADY. That is awesome!II! Didn't get an email just checked my portal this morning and had a tab to schedule an interview!
Hi all! Current M1 here 🙂 Feel free to ask me any questions about VCU or shoot me a PM. I'm still relatively new here myself but I'll do my best to answer your questions! For reference, I am OOS and my stats were LizzyM ~68.
Rooting for YOU!!!!!!!! @Aubrey Graham
Was a huge underdog last year and made it in (just barely, but I'm here!!), keep the faith
Probably trying to make amends for last year's.
And to all those wondering about the delays. VCU got nearly 10k applications last year, would assume it is close to that if not more this year, it takes time. I cannot stress this enough the cycle is LONG, and stressful. Take a xanax, relax and just let the chips fall as they may, barring the interview itself, you have zero control of what happens after you submit.
As an M1 here I am just barely getting my feet wet into medical school, but I would be happy to answer any questions I can.
There are eight ten-minute MMI stations - two minutes to read the prompt and eight minutes to discuss with the interviewer.
Hi guys! I'm going to be a non-trad (will start med school at 24 and will turn 25 three months after). I'm kinda worried about this. Most ppl at my undergrad go straight to VCU from college, so it's depressing to have to wait two years. Can you guys comment on the non-trad population at VCU? Are there a lot of people that took gap years in your class?
Hi guys! I'm going to be a non-trad (will start med school at 24 and will turn 25 three months after). I'm kinda worried about this. Most ppl at my undergrad go straight to VCU from college, so it's depressing to have to wait two years. Can you guys comment on the non-trad population at VCU? Are there a lot of people that took gap years in your class?
The vast majority of the class around your age. You can definitely tell the difference btw the ones who went straight thru and the ones who took a gap year(s).
I love this school but I'm OOS and don't have much volunteering or shadowing (maybe 300 hours total, which seems on the lower end these days). Does your class have a lot of students from the west coast? Also, does the school place a big emphasis on volunteering?
34 I believe from CA alone.
Thank you! 3.6 both, 32MCAT, not URM, complete 7/25, unique extra curricularsWow congrats! Stats/Completion Date/URM status if you don't mind? You are running at about a 25% II rate out of all the secondaries you have submitted ALREADY. That is awesome!
Last edited:
VA resident?Thank you! 3.6 both, 32MCAT, not URM, complete 7/25, unique extra curriculars
Hi guys! I'm going to be a non-trad (will start med school at 24 and will turn 25 three months after). I'm kinda worried about this. Most ppl at my undergrad go straight to VCU from college, so it's depressing to have to wait two years. Can you guys comment on the non-trad population at VCU? Are there a lot of people that took gap years in your class?
Don't be intimidated by those who went straight in. PLENTY of people have taken gap years. The average age of the class is 24 so you would not be alone in this. I personally took 2 years off before matriculating so I understand the feeling of being in limbo, but at the same time I'm grateful to have had the time to mature.
YepVA resident?
Congrats! Are you also a non-trad?
The vast majority of the class around your age. You can definitely tell the difference btw the ones who went straight thru and the ones who took a gap year(s).
That's good to hear. And how so?
Don't be intimidated by those who went straight in. PLENTY of people have taken gap years. The average age of the class is 24 so you would not be alone in this. I personally took 2 years off before matriculating so I understand the feeling of being in limbo, but at the same time I'm grateful to have had the time to mature.
They are intimidating lol I'm trying to put it off my mind and make peace with taking two gap years myself. I'd be entering at 24 but will turn 25 just 3 months after. What did you do in your 2 years off? I'm still trying to figure it all out and this limbo state is so annoying!
Lol, I will be 29 when I enter med school (if I get in this cycle). Relax, if anything it will make you more well-rounded. You have lived a little and seen life outside of a textbook. It gives you some perspective that can only be beneficial in my humble opinion.They are intimidating lol I'm trying to put it off my mind and make peace with taking two gap years myself. I'd be entering at 24 but will turn 25 just 3 months after. What did you do in your 2 years off? I'm still trying to figure it all out and this limbo state is so annoying!
Right there with ya budLol, I will be 29 when I enter med school (if I get in this cycle). Relax, if anything it will make you more well-rounded. You have lived a little and seen life outside of a textbook. It gives you some perspective that can only be beneficial in my humble opinion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They are intimidating lol I'm trying to put it off my mind and make peace with taking two gap years myself. I'd be entering at 24 but will turn 25 just 3 months after. What did you do in your 2 years off? I'm still trying to figure it all out and this limbo state is so annoying!
You'll honestly save yourself a lot of stress in this process if you stop comparing yourself to other people. I know it's much easier said than done, but focus on becoming the best possible applicant that you can be. Not anyone else, just you.
Right after I graduated college, I studied for and took the MCAT. The remainder of the 2 years I mostly spent tutoring and scribing. But I also did a combination of traveling, continuing my research project, and volunteering on the side.
THEY HAVE WEEKEND INTERVIEWS? (If I had access to the emoji with the little hearts for eyes, I would stick that little guy right here)I did the VCU CERT program, and just an FYI to you guys, what's most likely happening is that students who met certain criteria are getting their guaranteed interviews first (08/13, 08/20, and maybe even 08/27). I think early decision is also included in this bunch. VCU is also switching to the MMI this year, and in combination with getting ~10K apps, they are understandably busy. I'm interviewing there this Saturday and if I come across anything relevant about their office being backed up or something similar, I'll be sure and update.
But seriously, is that common for VCU? Because that would be incredibly helpful.
THEY HAVE WEEKEND INTERVIEWS? (If I had access to the emoji with the little hearts for eyes, I would stick that little guy right here)
But seriously, is that common for VCU? Because that would be incredibly helpful.
As far as I know they do, and at least mine was. They are going to do 39 interviews over the next ~6 months. So obviously it will be 2x/ or 3x/week. One of my friends has his interview on a Wednesday.
Rejected this morning (post secondary), but good luck to all y'all at this school!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
When were you complete?Rejected! I don't know when, but I just logged in and saw the rejection message. Keep checking because I never got an email!
When were you complete?
I'm trying to find the date. I THINK it was July 27th. I took awhile on my secondary.
Honestly, it's actually kind of nice to just have some semblance of certainty in my life right now. I will DEFINITELY not be attending VCU in the Fall of 2017. Haha!
I'm trying to find the date. I THINK it was July 27th. I took awhile on my secondary.
Honestly, it's actually kind of nice to just have some semblance of certainty in my life right now. I will DEFINITELY not be attending VCU in the Fall of 2017. Haha!
I like this view. Imma use that lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I know the feeling. I've been complete since July 14th. Every few hours, I check the portal like a madman, hoping for some closure.I'm trying to find the date. I THINK it was July 27th. I took awhile on my secondary.
Honestly, it's actually kind of nice to just have some semblance of certainty in my life right now. I will DEFINITELY not be attending VCU in the Fall of 2017. Haha!
Rejected this morning (post secondary), but good luck to all y'all at this school!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Rejected! I don't know when, but I just logged in and saw the rejection message. Keep checking because I never got an email!
Sorry to hear that, I'm sure you both will have success elsewhere! What was your status before the rejection one?
Sorry to hear that, I'm sure you both will have success elsewhere! What was your status before the rejection one?
I think mine was the generic "under review" status. Nothing fancy.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sorry to hear that, I'm sure you both will have success elsewhere! What was your status before the rejection one?
I had the short "under review" message, as far as I know I was never on hold (complete 8/16 so quite the turnaround for a rejection!)
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Nope, I got mine on the 13th, 109 times to be exact. LolWeren't secondary essays sent out on the 15th of July?
I got an email about a status change but I got it after I checked the portal and saw that I had an interview and scheduled it. So they send emails but slowly, and it just says there was a change.For people that got an interview, did you get an email? Or did you have to continually check the portal?
I graduated in 2015, so I don't really consider myself that and some of the programs I have applied to definitely don't, but I will have 2 years off if I get in this cycle- enough time to breathe and travel but not coming in with a family or from a different career.Congrats! Are you also a non-trad?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol I love your description!I graduated in 2015, so I don't really consider myself that and some of the programs I have applied to definitely don't, but I will have 2 years off if I get in this cycle- enough time to breathe and travel but not coming in with a family or from a different career.
That's good to hear. And how so?
Maturity level.
Serious question lol what tense did you guys use for the secondary prompt? Like did you write "I'd say XYZ, then id tell her ABC. I'd ask her why shes concerned...etc etc" or did you write it as a direct conversation like "I think you should check out XYZ, it is important to know ABC.....etc etc"
I wrote it in the "would" tense. Not present first person tense.Serious question lol what tense did you guys use for the secondary prompt? Like did you write "I'd say XYZ, then id tell her ABC. I'd ask her why shes concerned...etc etc" or did you write it as a direct conversation like "I think you should check out XYZ, it is important to know ABC.....etc etc"