*2016-2017 Washington State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Isn't there an interview on 3/10? Doesn't that most likely indicate that not all 60 offers have been given out yet? On the email it said I had until 3/22 to respond to the offer. So in terms of waitlist and what not, perhaps that date will be what opens up more seats.

1) please give your spot to us 😉 😉 😉
2) According to AAMC traffic rules, they need to give out 60 acceptances by 3/15.
3) Interviews are probably through the end of March.
4) Thanks for letting us know. And now we wait.

Yeah, sure there will be a waitlist...but you know...we'd all prefer to be accepted immediately.

Life: Let's go.
SDNers: We can't.
Life: Why not?
SDNers: We're waiting for Godot.
 
2) they don't HAVE to, it's a "recommendation". Some schools don't follow it


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile


stop toying with my heart, mavric1298. Was it you or someone else who said they'd have to give out at least 2x to fill the class? EDIT: that was probably someone else. sorry for accusing you of getting my hopes up. I'll go watch scrubs now to make myself feel better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just now!! 2/17

Omg I'm shaking! I'm so excited to be a part of this!![/QUOTE
stop toying with my heart, mavric1298. Was it you or someone else who said they'd have to give out at least 2x to fill the class? EDIT: that was probably someone else. sorry for accusing you of getting my hopes up. I'll go watch scrubs now to make myself feel better.
I thought waiting list serves the purpose of filling the spots people decline the offer ...
 
As a school that was accredited faster than anyother med school ever I'm will to bet they will fill their class by the 15th to keep face. Going against guidlines is not really in the cards for WSU at this point. As some of us were told at the begining of our interview day, it is unlikely that anyone interviewed after the 17th will be a part of the first 60 students accepted.... -___- clearly mistakes were made
My speculation is that since the admissions process is rolling, if you didn't get waitlisted or accepted from the first group you're probably out of luck, but IDK for sure. Everyone interviewed after 2/17 is basically interviewing for an alternate spot. GL ;D
 
As a school that was accredited faster than anyother med school ever I'm will to bet they will fill their class by the 15th to keep face. Going against guidlines is not really in the cards for WSU at this point. As some of us were told at the begining of our interview day, it is unlikely that anyone interviewed after the 17th will be a part of the first 60 students accepted.... -___- clearly mistakes were made
My speculation is that since the admissions process is rolling, if you didn't get waitlisted or accepted from the first group you're probably out of luck, but IDK for sure. Everyone interviewed after 2/17 is basically interviewing for an alternate spot. GL ;D

Wait...they told your interview group that essentially none of you were going to be accepted? Sheesh. What a start to an interview day!
 
I thought waiting list serves the purpose of filling the spots people decline the offer ...

I agree. They will probably not make a waitlist until March 24... but anyone not accepted yet is essentially on one. I wouldn't fret too greatly for now though. UW is beginning to hand down final decisions for a good chunk of its class now. I'm ̶a̶n̶x̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ interested to see what their yield is in the end.

And just to point out: "first 60 students accepted."
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone actually positive they have given out 60 already?

I was speculating about that with someone - especially given the near perfect overlap of interview dates receiving acceptances. For all we know it's 15 and 15 acceptances. But perhaps they were more clear about that on 3/3?
 
Last edited:
Hmmm... I really thought I was that kind of alternative, non-trad, spent 10 years working with underserved student that UW and WSU were really looking for.... still time, but boy did this week suck.
 
Hmmm... I really thought I was that kind of alternative, non-trad, spent 10 years working with underserved student that UW and WSU were really looking for.... still time, but boy did this week suck.
Same feeling here. Really thought I made it clear how well I matched their mission.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait...they told your interview group that essentially none of you were going to be accepted? Sheesh. What a start to an interview day!

I like my schools like I like my metal. \m/ Bruuuutal \m/
 
Just curious, how do you know UW's EXCOM had their final meeting yesterday/today and that they aren't meeting later?

Because they have pushed out the alternate status for people (although not the rank yet), which only happens after the final meeting. Couple this with the historical timing, and everything lines up
 
Because they have pushed out the alternate status for people (although not the rank yet), which only happens after the final meeting. Couple this with the historical timing, and everything lines up

Im hoping that because there aren't ranking with the alternates there are still more decisions to be made! That's my slight bit of optimism I have anyways haha.
 
If anyone who interviews today has an update about the status of where they are with acceptances, it would be much appreciated.

Update: I've got a lot of "like" momentum here, let's see if it produces any results...

An email is going to be sent out clearing up a lot of people's questions about the admissions process that's going on 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing I'm wondering is with only a $100 deposit to hold your spot, how many students will claim a spot to have some options, and then later give it up for an offer that they find more alluring. It seems to me something like a $1000 commitment is more common, which makes you think a little harder about holding a spot just to have one. I'm definitely not saying that anyone is doing this and congrats to everyone accepted, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of movement on an alternate list, in part for this reason. Also, it would be nice if our status, including rejections, went out sooner rather than later so the rest of us can decide if we need to move on or not.
 
Last edited:
One thing I'm wondering is with only a $100 deposit to hold your spot, how many students will claim a spot to have some options, and then later give it up for an offer that they find more alluring. It seems to me something like a $1000 commitment is more common, which makes you think a little harder about holding a spot just to have one. I'm definitely not saying that anyone is doing this and congrats to everyone accepted, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of movement on an alternate list, in part for this reason. Also, it would also be nice if our status, including rejections, went out sooner rather than later so the rest of us can decide if we need to move on or not.

Traffic rules for all MD schools (AMCAS) state that the maximum deposit is $100, fully refundable and applicable to tuition and holds the applicant's spot until traffic day, April 30.

DO schools charge higher non-refundable deposits as befits their process, where a lot of students hold DO spots as backup for MD spots.

AMCAS studies show that the majority of MD applicants only get one acceptance. Those that get two or more MD acceptances are prevalent on SDN forums.

TL: DR - WSU can only charge $100 and everything shakes out on or around Traffic Day, April 30.