2016-2017 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
5) For me, I know that the two schools I was accepted to (WUSTL and Vandy) besides my state school, specifically cited my LOIs when they called me and told me of my acceptance, so I know that they had an impact there. I also am pretty confident, because of the concordance in timing, that interest letters got me IIs at Brown, Einstein, Dartmouth, WUSTL, and perhaps others.

Woah so you sent in LOIs to two different institution? Were they both declaring interest or intent? I thought the point of a letter of intent was that you should only send it to one school.

Members don't see this ad.

Woah so you sent in LOIs to two different institution? Were they both declaring interest or intent? I thought the point of a letter of intent was that you should only send it to one school.
I never sent any letters of intent. only super strong interest. i guess the acronym is LOI for both.

Reactions: 2 users
And THIS is why some schools care so little about them lol. Awesome that WashU and Vandy do though!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think every school values a well thought out and genuine display of your interest! it's about fit as much as anything at these top schools where >90% of the interviewers are qualified enough
And THIS is why some schools care so little about them lol. Awesome that WashU and Vandy do though!

Reactions: 1 user
I can't seem to find any information on second look - it doesn't appear to be on the facebook group or on their site. What days is it, and is there a schedule?

I can't seem to find any information on second look - it doesn't appear to be on the facebook group or on their site. What days is it, and is there a schedule?

It is April 7-8. They send you stuff in the mail about it after you're accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone who interviewed in Jan or Feb heard back yet?

Has anyone who interviewed in Jan or Feb heard back yet?

I interviewed in this time frame and I heard back in under a week. I was a late applicant with above average stats.

When are we thinking the last wave of acceptances are going out? If there is one? I keep hearing march but don't know if we'll be hearing of calls starting tomorrow or if it'll be another week or so.

There were a few calls in the first and second weeks of March last year iirc

Where on the portal?
It's in the NetPartner financial aid portal under "Documents." I believe it asks for W2s, Title IV Excess Funds, a Verification Worksheet and a few other items. IRS 1040 as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know whether any merit scholarships have gone out ? I have an offer from a peer school and I'm wondering when it's appropriate to make them aware

I think every school values a well thought out and genuine display of your interest! it's about fit as much as anything at these top schools where >90% of the interviewers are qualified enough

So is this appropriate post interview but pre decision? Should I wait until I happen to be put on the waitlist? Or do it ASAP?

What's the etiquette for LOIs? Do i just send an email to the general admissions email address?

So is this appropriate post interview but pre decision? Should I wait until I happen to be put on the waitlist? Or do it ASAP?

different schools of thought on this, but imo, might as well do it now. idk how it works exactly, but i doubt sending an LOI gets an extra look at your app. more likely the look happens, and either your LOI is in the file or not. so do it sooner rather than later. then send another one post WL if that happens.

Does anyone know how internal ranking / AOA works here? I would guess that AOA hopefully shouldn't matter as much if you're coming from a well known school, but I dunno.

Does anyone know how internal ranking / AOA works here? I would guess that AOA hopefully shouldn't matter as much if you're coming from a well known school, but I dunno.

As I recall, it's based on your clinical years and on assessment notes from preclinical professors.

As I recall, it's based on your clinical years and on assessment notes from preclinical professors.
Thanks! I actually did a bit of digging on msar and found that students are not ranked!

Thanks! I actually did a bit of digging on msar and found that students are not ranked!

I thought they still did AOA, though... eh, I'm probably thinking of another school.

Any thoughts on how many more acceptances they plan to give out before the waitlist goes out?

Any thoughts on how many more acceptances they plan to give out before the waitlist goes out?
really tough to say how many have been given out so far. Fb group includes many m1's.

really tough to say how many have been given out so far. Fb group includes many m1's.

Fair enough. They typically give out a decent chunk in late March, though, right?

Fair enough. They typically give out a decent chunk in late March, though, right?

If you look at past threads, it looks like there's really just a small trickle (if at all) in March, but this "large wave" of acceptances that we're led to believe in is a myth.

That being said, there's a ton of WL movement at this school so that decision is by no means a final one.

If you look at past threads, it really looks like there's a small trickle in March, but this "large wave" of acceptances that we're led to believe is a myth.

That being said, there's a ton of WL movement at this school so that decision is by no means a final one.

Good to know. Thank you for doing the digging on this!

were all interviewees who have heard back at this point accepted? or have certain people also been rejected / waitlisted at this point in time?

Just got notice that I was not chosen for Olin fellowship :/

Any scholarships going out yet? Seems like it's late compared to last year.

Reactions: 3 users
Me too. Oh well, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right? ;)
True. Let's hope we get some of the other scholarship money available!

I would assume that they wouldn't start with some of those until they have all the initial acceptances out, but that's a complete guess.

I would assume that they wouldn't start with some of those until they have all the initial acceptances out, but that's a complete guess.
Last year the first scholarship calls went out end of Feb while some more admits trickled out in early March. I think it's probably a little flexible on their end and just depends when they can meet and/or want to tell people

One of my coworkers got a call from WashU yesterday and got accepted with a full ride.
FYI she interviewed really early on... either October or September. I guess this is yet another example that shows that dead silence after an early interview does not mean you are out of the game.

Reactions: 5 users
One of my coworkers got a call from WashU yesterday and got accepted with a full ride.
FYI she interviewed really early on... either October or September. I guess this is yet another example that shows that dead silence after an early interview does not mean you are out of the game.
Wait she hadn't been accepted yet, but got in with full ride yesterday? Usually the scholarship people interview early, get admitted soon after, and then get the scholarship call around now

Wait she hadn't been accepted yet, but got in with full ride yesterday? Usually the scholarship people interview early, get admitted soon after, and then get the scholarship call around now
I'm pretty sure last week when we talked about medical school situations, WashU was not really mentioned. But I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure last week when we talked about medical school situations, WashU was not really mentioned. But I could be wrong.
Hah maybe she just wasn't excited about WashU? This would be pretty unheard of to interview Sept/Oct and hear nothing until admit+full ride in March

Awesome for them regardless !

Hah maybe she just wasn't excited about WashU? This would be pretty unheard of to interview Sept/Oct and hear nothing until admit+full ride in March

Awesome for them regardless !
Possible...

But I'm sure up till December she mentioned that she hadn't heard back from WashU at all. That was for sure.

Does anyone know if it would still be useful to send in a new LOR at this point?

i know speculation is probs the worst for the mental health of us all right now....butttttt do you guys think more people will be accepted between now and all the waitlist / rej notifications? also, bets on if it'll just be a few or a decent number?

i know speculation is probs the worst for the mental health of us all right now....butttttt do you guys think more people will be accepted between now and all the waitlist / rej notifications? also, bets on if it'll just be a few or a decent number?
Based on prior years, a few people posted accept calls in March before the mass email at end of March. Especially if your interview was recent I wouldn't assume anything for another week or two