2016-2017 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anybody planning to live in Olin? I'm torn. I love the simplicity and low cost of dorm life, but damn that place was janky.

How low was Olin per month? It's heckin cheap to live in surrounding areas too
Heeeeeellllllll no. I don't know the exact numbers but I think the prices were comparable. Even if it is a bit more expensive to live in an apartment, I'd do it. I'd go as far as to say that Olin tainted my impression of WashU a bit, so I'm excited to go to second look and see the school without laying eyes on Olin.
 
Heeeeeellllllll no. I don't know the exact numbers but I think the prices were comparable. Even if it is a bit more expensive to live in an apartment, I'd do it. I'd go as far as to say that Olin tainted my impression of WashU a bit, so I'm excited to go to second look and see the school without laying eyes on Olin.
just curious, what didn't you like about Olin?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just curious, what didn't you like about Olin?
Have to agree.... Olin sucked. It was freezing (no way to turn blasting A/C off??) and much older than even my freshman dorm in college. If you have ever lived in an apartment, it'll be a tough change to back to that dorm lifestyle as well.
 
just curious, what didn't you like about Olin?
Just the entire aesthetic of the place. The hallways were dirty and unfinished looking (exposed pipes and zero color or decoration of any kind. Also I know it's not always like this but there were blankets on the ground outside rooms, like at least make the presentation of the place a bit better.) The rooms, while spacious, were freezing cold, with threadbare, thin blankets that made my skin crawl (that might just be me though). The bathrooms were tiny, and one of the shower stalls was flooded. Basically my entire stay there was spent in a state of uncomfortable cringe.
 
Just the entire aesthetic of the place. The hallways were dirty and unfinished looking (exposed pipes and zero color or decoration of any kind. Also I know it's not always like this but there were blankets on the ground outside rooms, like at least make the presentation of the place a bit better.) The rooms, while spacious, were freezing cold, with threadbare, thin blankets that made my skin crawl (that might just be me though). The bathrooms were tiny, and one of the shower stalls was flooded. Basically my entire stay there was spent in a state of uncomfortable cringe.
This is especially funny because the undergrad dorms are some of the nicest in the country. Guess the med school didn't get the memo
 
Just the entire aesthetic of the place. The hallways were dirty and unfinished looking (exposed pipes and zero color or decoration of any kind. Also I know it's not always like this but there were blankets on the ground outside rooms, like at least make the presentation of the place a bit better.) The rooms, while spacious, were freezing cold, with threadbare, thin blankets that made my skin crawl (that might just be me though). The bathrooms were tiny, and one of the shower stalls was flooded. Basically my entire stay there was spent in a state of uncomfortable cringe.
It would have been fine if it was just warmer. I would have called it "spartan". It's an aesthetic. mmhm.
 
Have to agree.... Olin sucked. It was freezing (no way to turn blasting A/C off??) and much older than even my freshman dorm in college. If you have ever lived in an apartment, it'll be a tough change to back to that dorm lifestyle as well.
Mine had a heater that didn't turn off. I had to open a window. On like Feb 1st.
 
Hope is the thing with feathers/ That perches in the soul.

Too bad in this case hope is a chicken, and the adcoms of schools seem to be hungry for poultry.

I'm waiting here under the table in extremity hoping to pick up some WashU crumbs...
 
Mine too. I finally figured out how to turn off the heater, but this was after I suffered through a few hours of opening the window and hearing the awful noise from the fan unit (?) on the top of the building.
Oh, mine switched "off." it just still blew hot air when off. (To be fair, it was less hot air than when it was on, though.)
 
At this point, I'm starting to think they're not going to get out notifications this week. Or perhaps they decided to go with silent waitlists and rejects this year...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At this point, I'm starting to think they're not going to get out notifications this week. Or perhaps they decided to go with silent waitlists and rejects this year...
We have to remember it's only 8:40 CST, so if someone has to enter it into a computer or something, the work day hasn't started in STL yet.
 
Me! I'm so excited, I was really hyped to get the itinerary.

Me too. Hoping some of those "social activities with current students" (lol) is a good chance to chill with some current students separately from admins so that we can get a feel of what people are really like.

Not me any more 🙁 I wish schools set their admissions deadlines earlier and didn't all have to have their second looks on the same few weekends

I'm shocked! It is crazy how many are on the same weekends
 
So does end of March mean 11:59pm CST on 3/31? :dead:
Your profile pic represents what everyone waiting will look like if no email pops up at 11:59:59 PM tonight. I really, really, hope that if it does not come today, it will miraculously arrive this weekend. Does anyone know if it has arrived during the weekend before?
 
63 grand... wow

Yeah that's a big ol' number. Glad it's stabilized though. Some schools I interviewed at the tuition went up 50% after year 1 because years 2-4 have 3 semesters instead of 2. Plus, gotta remember that WashU has one of the lowest avg. debt rates in the country.

Also the email said that most merit scholarships go out "mid to late April."
 
Good ol' WashU hitting the rich kids hard with the tuition rates so the borrowers don't have to borrow so much, lol

Why the heck would they give out merit money after second look weekend? Makes no sense. You'd want those lucky people to know you'll be less expensive when they're deciding if they'll revisit.
 
Why the heck would they give out merit money after second look weekend? Makes no sense. You'd want those lucky people to know you'll be less expensive when they're deciding if they'll revisit.

If there are people with merit aid who decided not to go after 2nd look, then they can redistribute that money. Not sure that would qualify as "most", though.

Possibly they just want to string the rest of us along hoping that money is still forthcoming 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who's going to second look?? Getting the schedule got me excited. Also does anyone know what sweatshirt we get? :soexcited:
If it's the same as last year, it will be pretty much this with a hood and with "Medicine" where "Law" appears 🙂
582-S1220-P2134471B-Heather-Grey
 
Who's going to second look?? Getting the schedule got me excited. Also does anyone know what sweatshirt we get? :soexcited:
I'll be there! The itinerary looks like a nice mix of hanging out with students and getting to learn more about the school. Plus the fact that Wash U is willing to cover the costs is really nice of them.
 
I take it that only accepted students got invited? Or have some people been given a WL spot who were also invited?
 
whaaaat? School is a couple miles from hoodie capitol of the world, Ferguson, Missouri, and we get a CREW NECK? Ill be an outcast!
It's not a crew neck. I said it was LIKE the picture except with a hood (so it's a hoodie) and "Medicine" instead of Law. I just couldn't find a picture of the actual hoodie and I didn't feel like taking one lol.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
 
Just called admissions. "April 15th is the day that you will be made aware either way."
Did you get the sense that any decisions might be released before then? i.e. released "by" April 15th, or only "on" April 15th?
who else here interviewed in February and have you heard back yet?
I interviewed in the first week of February and have not heard back.
 
Did you get the sense that any decisions might be released before then? i.e. released "by" April 15th, or only "on" April 15th?

I interviewed in the first week of February and have not heard back.
It doesn't hurt to call yourself. It's really not a big deal. You don't have to type in your AMCAS ID or anything before being connected to the admissions office.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you get the sense that any decisions might be released before then? i.e. released "by" April 15th, or only "on" April 15th?

I interviewed in the first week of February and have not heard back.

The wording I listed was a direct quote, "April 15th is the day you will be made aware either way." To me, that means that a shotgun reject and waitlist is going out that day specifically, though I would assume some more acceptances might trickle out before then. I wouldn't expect WL or rejections before then, but you can definitely call if you want to be sure.