2016-2017 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • There are four brief essays on the Supplemental Application. Please limit each statement to no more than 200 words. The questions are:
    • If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2016-17) academic year, what are your plans?
    • Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.
    • Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it
    • For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons; names are sufficient.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
anybody receive secondaries yet?
Schools don't receive our primary application until June 24th, so we won't get secondaries from any school until after then.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received it, haven't opened it yet though.

when you get a chance, can you post the prompts and lengths?

Yep, here it is!
  • There are four brief essays on the Supplemental Application. Please limit each statement to no more than 200 words. The questions are:
    • If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2016-17) academic year, what are your plans?
    • Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.
    • Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it
    • For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons; names are sufficient.
@WedgeDawg here are the secondary prompts.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a rising third year here (Eek time is flying by!), so let me know anyone has any questions (either on here or via PM)!

Does anyone know if Cornell screens? I haven't gotten a secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a rising third year here (Eek time is flying by!), so let me know anyone has any questions (either on here or via PM)!

Is the maximum allowed number of letters of recommendations 3? I searched their website prior to the secondary invite and only saw that they required 2 but not maximum indicated so I submitted 6...I have a individual letters sent from my school's career service office and not as a packet. On the secondary it says "Enter the name(s) and institutional affiliation(s) of evaluators who will send letters individually to AMCAS, not as part of a packet. List only letters from the three most relevant sources. If you are submitting a premed packet or a packet through a Careers Office, enter only the school's name".

Does that mean I select the three out of the six I submitted to AMCAS and list them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the maximum allowed number of letters of recommendations 3? I searched their website prior to the secondary invite and only saw that they required 2 but not maximum indicated so I submitted 6...I have a individual letters sent from my school's career service office and not as a packet. On the secondary it says "Enter the name(s) and institutional affiliation(s) of evaluators who will send letters individually to AMCAS, not as part of a packet. List only letters from the three most relevant sources. If you are submitting a premed packet or a packet through a Careers Office, enter only the school's name".

Does that mean I select the three out of the six I submitted to AMCAS and list them?

I would like to know this as well!

Got my secondary at 8:20PM tonight, submitted! Best of luck everyone.

Just that the number they ask for on the secondary is different then what is stated on their website and MSAR. I'm guessing they are just asking us to select the 3 we feel are most important?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think that's the case, since you can only put down 3 names in the LOR section of the secondary. I'm assuming if you submitted more, they're only going to read the letters from the writers you listed in your secondary app.

Question regarding the the two required writing courses section of the secondary:

I only have one non-AP "English/Writing" course; I'm planning on taking another in the spring or summer before matriculation. A couple of my humanities courses could technically count as writing intensive, but I would rather just indicate that I'm planning on taking another writing course eventually. Is this possible?

Is it ok to use WCMC without doing someting like "Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC)." Trying to save that word count.

I'm not the best person to answer this since I don't work in the admissions office, and my undergrad does committee LORs. You should give them a call. They don't bite and are really nice people. :)

@nemo123
Hi! Do you know anything about the Music and Medicine program? What sort of presence does it have? Thanks!

It has a pretty big presence on campus. They hold a number of different concerts and performances each year and at various different venues. A decent number of people in my class, even though we're in clerkships, are still involved in it. I've also heard from some of my classmates that some people in it occasionally get paid gigs to play in weddings and other events (not to mention all the free food that they get).

Is it ok to use WCMC without doing someting like "Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC)." Trying to save that word count.

Yes, it's okay to use that. Although I'm not sure what the abbreviation is anymore since we became Weill Cornell Medicine not too long ago... I don't think it would matter whether you used WCMC or WCM.

Yes, it's okay to use that. Although I'm not sure what the abbreviation is anymore since we became Weill Cornell Medicine not too long ago... I don't think it would matter whether you used WCMC or WCM.
Thanks Nemo!

It has a pretty big presence on campus. They hold a number of different concerts and performances each year and at various different venues. A decent number of people in my class, even though we're in clerkships, are still involved in it. I've also heard from some of my classmates that some people in it occasionally get paid gigs to play in weddings and other events (not to mention all the free food that they get).

Do you have to audition or can you just sign up?

Was the english requirement the only one they wanted you to confirm on the secondary?
Also, did you have to submit a picture?

Was anyone verified pretty early that still hasn't gotten this secondary? I was verified about an hour after the primary opening. Obviously no way to know the criteria they use for sending them out but just curious if others are still waiting.

Did anyone get an email confirmation for submitting their secondary?

Did anyone get an email confirmation for submitting their secondary?
I got this:
"Thank you for your application to Weill Medical College of Cornell University.

We will communicate with you when your application is complete (i.e., we have received your letters of recommendation)."

Does anyone know what the specifics about the English/writing courses are? I'm a non-science major and even though I didn't take any "English/writing" courses per se most of my upper level courses were based heavily on reading and writing, would this suffice?

Update for anyone that uses Microsoft Outlook for mail, just found the secondary from a few days ago. It went to some random "Clutter" folder (separate from Inbox or Junk) so if you haven't received it, check clutter. Found two other secondaries there as well.

This is a stupid question but... just wanna clarify that Cornell's medical school is in NYC. All four years of med school are in Manhattan, NOT in Ithaca right?

Does paying the fee also submit the application? I am a bit confused, because I got a confirmation email yesterday saying I payed/submitted, but when I try to log back into my account it just sends me to a screen saying my application has not been submitted and there is nothing to click on. Should I call the admissions office?

Hey everyone. I've heard that WCMC recommends that applicants turn in their secondaries within 72 hours (3 days) of receiving them. Can anyone comment on this? @nemo123 ?

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I've heard that WCMC recommends that applicants turn in their secondaries within 72 hours (3 days) of receiving them. Can anyone comment on this? @nemo123 ?
Yup, it was on their presentation with the AAMC. But no, I doubt it would actually have any bearing on you if you waited 5 days haha don't stress. Submit when ready.

hoping you guys are all joking. I heard the opposite, that they don't do rolling admissions.

Hey Nemo,
can you perhaps comment on what the " "world café" team- based learning (TBL) style approaches" actually is? I'm having a hard time figuring it out....

Submitted secondary last night but didn't get a confirmation email; this morning logged on and it said my application was not submitted and LORs have not been received, but didn't give me an option to go back to the application or anything. Probably just an administrative gremlin T_T

hoping you guys are all joking. I heard the opposite, that they don't do rolling admissions.
I am just repeating what they said. Remember, even though acceptances aren't rolling, II's are.

I am just repeating what they said. Remember, even though acceptances aren't rolling, II's are.
wow, i had no idea the II's were rolling. I had heard the both II's and Acceptances were not rolling, very good to know, thank you.

wow, i had no idea the II's were rolling. I had heard the both II's and Acceptances were not rolling, very good to know, thank you.
Oh maybe I'm wrong on II for Cornell specifically, but for most schools that aren't "Rolling" the II really have to be because you have to start giving them out eventually and I'm sure they don't wait until August or September to start reviewing apps. The longer you wait, statistically the more applications you're compared against.

does anyone know what we do for the first question, if we are going to be attending college.... blank, or Not applicable?