2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
first II!
1. So which is the airport near to the school? is it Little Rock Airport? (2hr 40min)
2. How you guys planning to get to the school? renting a car?
3. How about if you stay overnight? are you choosing any of the hotels recommended in the email?

Thank you!

I interview on the 15th and just booked flights so I'll share what I've learned. Fort Smith Regional is about 6 miles from the school so that's where I'm flying in to. I'm getting there the day before since the day starts at 8 am and a 5 hour flight the day of would be brutal. I plan on using Uber since it's so easy. Also, I used Expedia and the hotel was basically free with my flight package so I highly recommend that. By booking a hotel through Expedia at the same time as the flight, they're able to give much greater discounts. The package through Expedia is roughly the same price as just booking flights by themselves. Also, there are many hotels very close to the airport as well as the school so it isn't difficult to find one of those. Feel free to ask any more questions and good luck to yah!

Reactions: 3 users
I interview on the 15th and just booked flights so I'll share what I've learned. Fort Smith Regional is about 6 miles from the school so that's where I'm flying in to. I'm getting there the day before since the day starts at 8 am and a 5 hour flight the day of would be brutal. I plan on using Uber since it's so easy. Also, I used Expedia and the hotel was basically free with my flight package so I highly recommend that. By booking a hotel through Expedia at the same time as the flight, they're able to give much greater discounts. The package through Expedia is roughly the same price as just booking flights by themselves. Also, there are many hotels very close to the airport as well as the school so it isn't difficult to find one of those. Feel free to ask any more questions and good luck to yah!

Great info! thanks! I saw that the nearest airport was FSM ahha, I was looking through Southwest (I have tons of points)... sadly they don't fly to FSM.
But.. would there be Uber around 6am? (isn't it risky? haha) and this is not a very populated city right? Never been there.. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Great info! thanks! I saw that the nearest airport was FSM ahha, I was looking through Southwest (I have tons of points)... sadly they don't fly to FSM.
But.. would there be Uber around 6am? (isn't it risky? haha) and this is not a very populated city right? Never been there.. Thanks!
lol good point. The airport is super close so there has to be taxi services around. I'll probably end up asking the front desk about it when I check in. Coming from an urban city I didn't think about that, good call.

I was wandering the same thing :/ I scheduled, but the flights are killing me. I feel like I am going to get an hour of sleep the night before.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OK, I purchased through Expedia Plane tix + Car rental for 2 nights and Air bnb =$600ish..
Hotels that the school advertise is so expensive... $91-110 per night. i'm broke now.

Hello guys, I am currently an OMS I at ARCOM. I am very impressed by the school facility, faculty, staff, and curriculum, and will be happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello guys, I am currently an OMS I at ARCOM. I am very impressed by the school facility, faculty, staff, and curriculum, and will be happy to answer any questions.

Hey Dee, congrats on getting into this school. Do you have any advice about the interview? How's the format set up?

Ordering my plane ticket and hotel today. Anyone have an idea of the best hotel to go with that they recommend?

I can't seem to find the GPA and MCAT averages for matriculating students on their website. Does anyone know where to find this information?

I can't seem to find the GPA and MCAT averages for matriculating students on their website. Does anyone know where to find this information?
This is a fairly new osteopathic medical school. So there is probably no information available unfortunately until possibly another 2-3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a fairly new osteopathic medical school. So there is probably no information available unfortunately until possibly another 2-3 years.

I should have realized that haha. Thank you though! Just submitted an application so I guess I will just hope for the best!

very quick turn around time and i was able to get my first choice for interview day

Just submitted to this school today! Looking for some ARCOM love!

ARCOM has been the best school I interviewed at, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a biased OMS I here. Feel free to message me any questions you'd like. I'm so glad I chose to come here and have felt nothing but support from the "sparkling" faculty, administration, and community.

Reactions: 4 users
ARCOM has been the best school I interviewed at, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a biased OMS I here. Feel free to message me any questions you'd like. I'm so glad I chose to come here and have felt nothing but support from the "sparkling" faculty, administration, and community.
Great! Would you mind sharing about the Interview format and your thoughts?
I know that in the previous post somebody mentioned about tbl (i have no idea what that is) and 2 mmi (i think?), but wasn't detailed enough to help or get an idea... of the format and thoughts...

thank you!

Can I PM you?

They told us Friday that they are gathering that info now and will release it shortly. They had to wait for matriculation to have the official results

Last year, our interviews were 2 on 1. We interviewed with one faculty member and one community member (mine was a doctor working at a local hospital). The interview was very casual and laid back - it was closed file, and they asked pretty standard questions. It is not MMI format. They just want to get to know you as an applicant, but make sure you have good answers about the general questions asked (why DO, why ARCOM, etc.).

As stated above, our class stats should be released soon.

As far as hotels go, I really recommend Home2 from personal experience. Very clean, new, and great free breakfast in the morning. It is also pretty close to the school. I'm not sure about transportation since I had a car, but Home2 is right by the airport, and I'm pretty sure they have a shuttle to and from school for the interview (but don't quote me on that).

Does anyone know if ARCOM accepts any AP credit? I really would like to use 3 credits received for inorganic chemistry that are honored on my transcripts :(

I planned on calling tomorrow morning. I was just hoping that maybe someone already knew the answer. I hope that I can still continue on with the process here!

I'm not aware of anyone who ran into that issue last cycle. I hope it's not an issue though! It's been a great experience so far

What is the interview format?
Hi, I interviewed here last year and was accepted. The interview format is 2 to 1. I believe one person was from the community (in my case a pharmacist), and one is a physician/faculty member. They will put you guys in a conference room and split you into group A and B. One group will interview while the other takes a tour and talks to financial aid,ect. The actual interview is very relax and fun. Very nice anatomy lab as well. Good luck and hope this helps!

After reading about the quick turn around times that everyone is talking about, I have been checking my email all day only to realize that its Sunday and there is no chance of hearing back from them today... haha

Hi, I interviewed here last year and was accepted. The interview format is 2 to 1. I believe one person was from the community (in my case a pharmacist), and one is a physician/faculty member. They will put you guys in a conference room and split you into group A and B. One group will interview while the other takes a tour and talks to financial aid,ect. The actual interview is very relax and fun. Very nice anatomy lab as well. Good luck and hope this helps!
Thanks. Is it really closed-file like another person said? Should we mainly prepare for the more standard interview questions?

After reading about the quick turn around times that everyone is talking about, I have been checking my email all day only to realize that its Sunday and there is no chance of hearing back from them today... haha

Lmao bro same!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks. Is it really closed-file like another person said? Should we mainly prepare for the more standard interview questions?
Yea. Closed file. The lady will actually tell you that it is close file and how long the interviews are before you walk into the room. Be sure to inform them about whatever it is that drives you since they will not see your app. The questions where standard with a few interesting ones. Again, they make it very comfortable. They will introduce their-selves then you will begin to give your spiel. You also have a group activity you will have to do and write on a whiteboard. Itll be fun.

I see you can fly directly into Fort Smith and there are shuttles. There were also some who flew into Tulsa and drove two hours to the school. Any thoughts on one versus the other? It's definitely cheaper to fly into Tulsa. But I'm not too familiar with the midwest so driving may be a questionable choice.

Fort Smith is a two-hour drive from Tulsa, and I used to make the commute twice a week! You will likely not have any traffic and there are a number of places to stay in Fort Smith. If it's the cheaper option, I would consider it!

I recently moved from Fort Smith and regularly had difficulty with Uber. I would recommend that you arrange for a cab on the off chance that you are not able to get an Uber! Good luck!

Just got the "your app is under review" email even though my letters and such aren't in yet lol. Hope the turn around is fast when everything is in!

For this school does the secondary automatically mean an II? I see a lot of people talking about IIs but not a secondary with an essay?

For this school does the secondary automatically mean an II? I see a lot of people talking about IIs but not a secondary with an essay?
They do have a secondary but it does not have any essay. It's just a Google docs forum that only takes a few minutes to fill out. This is the only school I've gotten an II for so they might be sending out a ton of IIs. I got my secondary around a week after I was verified and then my II came 5-6 days after my secondary was submitted.

Secondary received on 8/4, submitted today. One of the easiest ones!

I have an interview here soon! Would you mind sharing the interview format and what I should expect? It's my first interview so I am pretty nervous

How quickly after submitting primary did you guys get secondaries?

7/20 - Primary verified and sent
7/20 - ARCOM email notifying me that they received my primary
7/27 - ARCOM email with secondary
7/27 - Secondary sent (it took 5 minutes to complete)
8/2 - ARCOM email with interview invite
8/22 - ARCOM emails me letting me know I bombed their interview

Last edited:
How quickly after submitting primary did you guys get secondaries?

I submitted my primary for this school late 8/6 (Sunday).
8/7 AM I had am email stating I was under review and 2 minutes later I got the email with the secondary link.

I submitted my primary for this school late 8/6 (Sunday).
8/7 AM I had am email stating I was under review and 2 minutes later I got the email with the secondary link.
Nice!

I got that first email 07/17 and haven't heard back since.

7/20 - Primary verified and sent
7/20 - ARCOM email notifying me that they received my primary
7/27 - ARCOM email with secondary
7/27 - Secondary sent (it took 5 minutes to complete)
8/2 - ARCOM email with interview invite
8/22 - ARCOM emails me letting me know I bombed their interview
What went wrong at your interview if you don't mind my asking?
edit: Never mind! I get the joke...be more confident, you'll do great!

I know this is a strange question, but for those who are OMS I at ARCOM, what percentage of the students are Asian? I was doing some research just to prepare for my interview and a few pictures from the current class popped up. There seems to barely be any Asian people and that's making me worried about what they are looking for lol.

I know this is a strange question, but for those who are OMS I at ARCOM, what percentage of the students are Asian? I was doing some research just to prepare for my interview and a few pictures from the current class popped up. There seems to barely be any Asian people and that's making me worried about what they are looking for lol.

Our class has quite a bit of diversity, actually. I'm not sure what percentage is exactly though.

They're looking for sincere people who convey that they fit their mission, which is to serve the underserved. They haven't appeared to make any distinction when it comes to race or ethnicity, in my opinion.

Hi! Is anyone else interviewing on the 25th?