2017-2018 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you go on to college directly after high school? If no, explain (1400 char)
Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree? If no, explain (1400 char)

Optional:
If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (1400 char)
Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. (2000 char)
Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. (3000 char)
This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application. (3000 char)

There are also boxes to explain lack of commitee letter or substitute letters (2000 char each)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How "optional" is BU's optional question? Would it look bad if I left it blank? This was a question from last year:

(Optional) Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. (3000 characters)

How "optional" is BU's optional question? Would it look bad if I left it blank? This was a question from last year:

(Optional) Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. (3000 characters)

Dude, it literally says that most applicants leave the question blank.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Just another applicant, but I interpreted them putting the line about most applicants leaving it blank as encouragement to leave it blank unless you had something substantial to add. I'm planning on leaving it blank.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received! Same secondary questions as last year.

For the section about "Personal Connection to BU," what constitutes as an appropriate relationship? Can it be a friend who goes there?

For the section about "Personal Connection to BU," what constitutes as an appropriate relationship? Can it be a friend who goes there?

I've got the same question, but a bit more specific. I've volunteered over 500+ hours at BMC and did a SMP at the School of Medicine. I have connections at both institutions, but none of them are family. Should I be putting them down?

+1

I don't think a friend going there really constitutes a connection. On the plus side they can probably give you the inside scoop and help you with your secondary.

+1

I don't think a friend going there really constitutes a connection. On the plus side they can probably give you the inside scoop and help you with your secondary.
I agree. I ended up putting none for connections. But I think that's okay. We're not expected to have connections at every school :)

Doing the secondary now. For the "prerequisite grid" section, it is pretty unclear as to whether it wants you to put how many semesters you've done in the subjects in general, or just the prereqs. For example, Would I put "2" semesters under biological sciences (BIO I, BIO II), or would I add courses like microbiology, molecular biology, etc?

Anyone else not gotten a secondary?

Reactions: 5 users
@WedgeDawg @gyngyn
Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree? If no, explain (1400 char)

Optional:
If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (1400 char)
Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. (2000 char)
Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. (3000 char)
This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application. (3000 char)

There are also boxes to explain lack of commitee letter or substitute letters (2000 char each)

Last edited:
@WedgeDawg @Goro
Required:

Optional:

What is it that you are asking???

I do not read essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody else having issues with LOR's not showing received in their secondary app??? BU shows that I have 4 pending letters and 1 already received but AMCAS shows all 5 received.

Is anybody else having issues with LOR's not showing received in their secondary app??? BU shows that I have 4 pending letters and 1 already received but AMCAS shows all 5 received.
Yeah, I just submitted my secondary and it says that they have not received my letters. My letters have been received by AMCAS for a while, and most of the other schools I applied to have them. I don't think it's anything to really worry about.

anyone still not receive a secondary?

Reactions: 4 users
Do most schools send out batches of secondaries like this? Is it random or do they prioritize candidates.

Do most schools send out batches of secondaries like this? Is it random or do they prioritize candidates.
I'm not sure if it's most but some do send out supplementary apps out in batches. I just got theirs on July 6th.

"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. (2000 char)"

How are ya'll responding to this prompt besides for talking about travelling abroad or being trained in very different fields?

I got two of the three emails for the secondary, but still haven't gotten the one that contains my username and password to log-in to the system.. hopefully they'll email me back today and I'll get it

I'm confused on how to access the supplemental essay for this school. When I tried to create a web account, there was no where to put the pin they sent in and when I entered a password it just linked me to their Graduate Medical Sciences Page? Did anyone else have this problem?

I had that problem as well! I'm still not able to find the secondary

Submitted! MAMS grad so hope BUMC shows me some love, would love to go back :)

I'm confused on how to access the supplemental essay for this school. When I tried to create a web account, there was no where to put the pin they sent in and when I entered a password it just linked me to their Graduate Medical Sciences Page? Did anyone else have this problem?

Try opening the site in an incognito window - I had some issues that were solved by doing the whole secondary this way

On the secondary app it is saying that BUSM did not receive my committee letter... anyone else have this issue?

On the secondary app it is saying that BUSM did not receive my committee letter... anyone else have this issue?
Yea Boston is being weird with my letters too. They haven't received some of my earlier letters. I messaged them and they said for me to contact AMCAS but AMCAS said that they sent all of my letters to Boston.
:shrug::shrug:

all my letters are still pending too. many other schools have received my letters

all my letters are still pending too. many other schools have received my letters
It's a bit of a relief to hear others are having the same problems. I had all my letters submitted to AMCAS before July hit except for ONE and I am freaking out thinking that it's why my letters aren't being uploaded by BU and other schools!

My committee letter for BUSM is still pending as well

I got two of the three emails for the secondary, but still haven't gotten the one that contains my username and password to log-in to the system.. hopefully they'll email me back today and I'll get it

I am also waiting for mine. How long did it end up taking you to receive the email?

I submitted yesterday at 6:30pm and was marked complete this morning at 8:30am.

Not to brag, don't worry. I have major completion issues at other schools, just wanted to post for reference. Other schools won't "complete me" because I have one letter (not included in the minimum requirements) that isn't in to AMCAS yet. Maybe similar deal with Boston U?

Well, here is the notice that is on the login screen of BU's portal:

AMCAS is experiencing a technical issue which is affecting the transmission of application updates. As a result, we might not have your letter of references even though your application is verified at AMCAS. We are monitoring the situation and we will ensure all letters are transmitted to us and added to your record before it is reviewed. Thank you for your patience.

Question: BU's secondary is on the MyApplication website instead of sent through email?
I'm quite surprised because I received secondary next day of my primary submission.
I wonder whether BU provides all applicants supplemental instruction.

"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. (2000 char)"

How are ya'll responding to this prompt besides for talking about travelling abroad or being trained in very different fields?

Bumping this because I have the same question. Studying abroad or trained in different fields doesn't really apply to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Bumping this because I have the same question. Studying abroad or trained in different fields doesn't really apply to me.
I talked about my leadership in a gun violence/mental health public service campaign and how it was a time of learning and growth for me.

"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us."

If I applied to medical school (not BU) before and didn't get in do I need to talk about that in this box, or is that not what it is asking?