2017-2018 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Super excited to interview at BU :D

Edit: Complete 7/17!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have an idea what the two rounds of interviews means? Do we have to interview twice, or do they do admissions decisions after each round?

Does anyone have an idea what the two rounds of interviews means? Do we have to interview twice, or do they do admissions decisions after each round?
If it is like previous years, they split the interview season to Sept-Dec and Jan-Mar.

Decisions for the Sept-Dec group comes in January. Most people are either deffered to March or rejected. Some students are accepted.

In March, the rest of the decisions come out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not at this school but at a different school when it asks for a nickname I wrote "N/A" and when i check my application status it says " N/A's application status" i hope this doesn't sink me....

EDIT: Called them and they fixed it :)

I actually chuckled, "Congrats N/A you have been invited to interview..."

Reactions: 1 users
II about half an hour ago! Got a complete email on 7/26, LizzyM 71.

Congrats everyone above!
II this morning also! Complete 7/13, LM ~76

How optional is the optional essays? Has anyone who got an II left those blank? Don't really have anything to add other than a diversity essay or something but don't know if its worthwhile..

How optional is the optional essays? Has anyone who got an II left those blank? Don't really have anything to add other than a diversity essay or something but don't know if its worthwhile..
People on previous years who left them blank got accepted so they're pretty optional, they're just for people who actually have more important information to share

II!!!!

Completed July 27th. WedgeDawg score of 70.

Anyone who has interviewed at Boston or currently goes to school there, where is the best place to stay the night before?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II!!!!

Completed July 27th.

Anyone who has interviewed at Boston or currently goes to school there, where is the best place to stay the night before?

I was there for my SMP. Not sure about hotels close by to south end but I'd try to stay nearby if you can. There's a free BU bus that runs from the undergrad area to the med school that is pretty useful later in the day, but traffic gets pretty gnarly in the morning and evening. Especially if the weather sucks.

Lyft/uber are also pretty useful in Boston.

I was there for my SMP. Not sure about hotels close by to south end but I'd try to stay nearby if you can. There's a free BU bus that runs from the undergrad area to the med school that is pretty useful later in the day, but traffic gets pretty gnarly in the morning and evening. Especially if the weather sucks.

Lyft/uber are also pretty useful in Boston.

If they start at 7:30 would you recommend calling an uber by 7 am? They sent us a link about hotels so I think I will try one of those. I will be coming during a weekend so do you have any food recommendations or anything else I should check out? Who knows it might be the first and last time I go to Boston xD

If they start at 7:30 would you recommend calling an uber by 7 am? They sent us a link about hotels so I think I will try one of those. I will be coming during a weekend so do you have any food recommendations or anything else I should check out? Who knows it might be the first and last time I go to Boston xD

Depends on the weather (snow starts to pick up ~ end november/december) and where your hotel is. But I would leave earlier if I were you considering how unpredictable the traffic can be. Leaving around 6:30-45, the traffic shouldn't be too bad. BUMC is always open and there is a small waiting area with couches where you can prepare right where you enter. You may also be able to sneak into an unscheduled room if it's that early and use it to practice aloud if you want.

Sure! There are actually some good food places nearby. Blunch and Flour are really good brunch spots just a few blocks away. Pizza Stop and Cafe quattro have some really bomb pizza and are both really cheap. There is also a more upscale but really good tapas place nearby but idr the name. If you take the BU bus from the medical school to the symphony area (15-20 min north of BUMC) and near the undergrad (30 min north of BUMC), there are some really good restaurants as well.

Depends on the weather (snow starts to pick up ~ end november/december) and where your hotel is. But I would leave earlier if I were you considering how unpredictable the traffic can be. Leaving around 6:30-45, the traffic shouldn't be too bad. BUMC is always open and there is a small waiting area with couches where you can prepare right where you enter. You may also be able to sneak into an unscheduled room if it's that early and use it to practice aloud if you want.

Sure! There are actually some good food places nearby. Blunch and Flour are really good brunch spots just a few blocks away. Pizza Stop and Cafe quattro have some really bomb pizza and are both really cheap. There is also a more upscale but really good tapas place nearby but idr the name. If you take the BU bus from the medical school to the symphony area (15-20 min north of BUMC) and near the undergrad (30 min north of BUMC), there are some really good restaurants as well.

Sweet thank you for the info!

Current Boston resident--can attest that Flour is probably my favorite brunch place ever. They always have salads/sandwiches and a rotating selection of pastries, and I personally adore the breakfast sandwich with bacon :giggle: They can get busy pretty quickly on weekends though so be prepared for a bit of a wait if you decide to check it out later in the day!

II!!!!

Completed July 27th. WedgeDawg score of 70.

There is a Holiday Inn Express 5 mins south of the school that has a shuttle that takes you to the school if you ask.

II!!!! Completed 8/2 LM: 70

I know its relatively far across the river but if you are in the Cambridge area you have to go to Bagelsaurus its the greatest place on earth, its like .75mi north of Harvard on Mass Ave near Porter Square

Is there a place that asks about connection to BU? If my fiancé (or if I say husband) went there for medical school, would it help?

Currently trying to choose schools: Why did you choose BU on your school list?

II today! Complete 7/24. LizzyM ~74. Done a lot of work at the BMC, so I'm very excited for this one.

II today!! So incredibly thankful!! (3.43 | 526 | complete 7/18)

First II today!!! Completed 8-9. Beyond excited!

Reactions: 3 users
wow congrats! mind sharing your stats? i was complete the same day and have not heard anything
4.0 and 522. hopefully you'll hear back soon!! i'm also from the area, so that may be why they got back pretty quickly

II just now!! Complete 7/13. Wow feeling surreal

Does anyone who applied last year know if interviewing in September increases your chance of gaining an admission in Jan or March? I know for some schools when you interview doesn't necessarily matter, but I haven't seen anyone comment on that for BU. Just want to keep my expectations at a realistic level.

Also is there is II/Post-Acceptance chart for med schools? MSAR only has interview and matriculation.

Does anyone who applied last year know if interviewing in September increases your chance of gaining an admission in Jan or March? I know for some schools when you interview doesn't necessarily matter, but I haven't seen anyone comment on that for BU. Just want to keep my expectations at a realistic level.

Also is there is II/Post-Acceptance chart for med schools? MSAR only has interview and matriculation.

This is info from usnews

I don't remember the specific thread nor can I give links, but I do remember @LizzyM doing a little analysis on the timing of interviews. She found a statistically significant relationship between having an II before Thanksgiving and an acceptance in the bag by the end of it all.

I don't remember the specific thread nor can I give links, but I do remember @LizzyM doing a little analysis on the timing of interviews. She found a statistically significant relationship between having an II before Thanksgiving and an acceptance in the bag by the end of it all.

I never did any analysis. It was more of a set of observations made over time.

I never did any analysis. It was more of a set of observations made over time.
But you did come to some sort of "statistically significant" conclusion, no? I'd say that's an analysis in some sense or another...

That's semantics though, not worth going into here! As for your question specifically, @tekkenman11, I don't know of any specific info on that for BU. I'd say your best bet is to look at the threads from previous years; remember, however, SDN is a small subset of a much larger population of applicants, so be weary of drawing any absolute conclusions.

II just now, ORM, OOS, stats (3.8+, 515+), Early october dates and one late september

First II this morning! Complete 7/20, LizzyM ~72, OOS, saw dates from mid-Oct to early Nov.
:)

Reactions: 7 users
II today! Super pumped, this is one of my dream/"reach" schools. Complete 8/14. OOS, URM. Dates from late September to late October were available!

Reactions: 8 users