You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Drexel University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Current MS1 here, do not go to this school. This new curriculum is a great idea, but it is terribly organized. They overlap us like crazy and expect us to be across town instantaneously. Whoever is organizing this just throws up whatever they think looks alright and just goes with it, zero regards for the students. I now see why Drexel Med has the reputation it does. Most of the students I know are about ready to protest.
I will say that most of the faculty are great.
I will say that most of the faculty are great.
Current MS1 here, do not go to this school. This new curriculum is a great idea, but it is terribly organized. They overlap us like crazy and expect us to be across town instantaneously. Whoever is organizing this just throws up whatever they think looks alright and just goes with it, zero regards for the students. I now see why Drexel Med has the reputation it does. Most of the students I know are about ready to protest.
I will say that most of the faculty are great.
Could you elaborate on the bolded? I'm not aware of the reputation
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That’s the day that many medical schools are allowed to let us know about their first acceptances.
Do they accept many or only a few on this date? Do you know? Are most placed on hold or wait list? Just wondering.
See:Could you elaborate on the bolded? I'm not aware of the reputation
Because:
1. Drexel has an unstable hospital system
2. Drexel is generally a bad school in Philly (and I think PCOM is a lot better in many aspects)
3. Drexel is completely overcrowded. Jefferson and Temple also have too many students but the feelings of overcrowdedness are usually maintained suitably.
4. Drexel main teaching hospital looks like an abandoned warehouse in Center City
5. Drexel medical school is okay provided it wasn't a 20-30 min. drive from the teaching hospital
6. Drexel residency seems to recruit a lot of Caribbean/offshore IMGs
7. Drexel interviews give a bad vibe to many applicants
8. Drexel has an inadequate, insufficient, and improper secondary screening and evaluation process.
Generally, if you want to go to a medical school in Philadelphia outside of the elite Penn, you should go for Temple or Jefferson. Others can add in if they want, but I think I summarized it pretty well given what I have seen.
For what it's worth, I interviewed here in September and I did not get the impression that the school is in any way inferior to any other medical school. All the Drexel students were happy, facilities were nice, and admission staff seemed friendly. The only negative thing about my interview experience was that the interview day did not seem to be very well structured and there were a lot of random gaps in the schedule. As far as the new curriculum goes, I'm sure there will be some issues with it - especially since this is the first year that it's being used. I was told by my student interviewer that the school takes student feedback very seriously so I am confident that the school will work to try to resolve these issues. Obviously, my opinion is limited to what I saw in one day but remember that everything is always exaggerated on SDN. There are a lot of bitter people on this forum so you gotta learn to take everything with a grain of salt.
I didn't think that Drexel had THAT bad of a reputation. As someone who lives in the area, I've never heard that it is terrible. Generally, it is regarded as a pretty good institution that maybe be a little "easier" (by medical school standards, of course) to get into than say Jefferson or Temple. I feel that a lot of people in the area respect it, but maybe that is just the sentiment here in South Jersey. Preferences are preferences however, so if you interview there and don't like it, it is up to you to decide what to do.
anyone know for us who interviewed early october if were hearing back on the 16th?
I interviewed in Sept and they told us 6-8 weeks. So I'm definitely not too hopeful to hear anything on the 16th.anyone know for us who interviewed early october if were hearing back on the 16th?
Hey guys, does anyone know what percentage of IS vs OOS applications get interview invites?
Thanks!
Thanks!
[.
Last edited:
For what it's worth, I interviewed here in September and I did not get the impression that the school is in any way inferior to any other medical school. All the Drexel students were happy, facilities were nice, and admission staff seemed friendly. The only negative thing about my interview experience was that the interview day did not seem to be very well structured and there were a lot of random gaps in the schedule. As far as the new curriculum goes, I'm sure there will be some issues with it - especially since this is the first year that it's being used. I was told by my student interviewer that the school takes student feedback very seriously so I am confident that the school will work to try to resolve these issues. Obviously, my opinion is limited to what I saw in one day but remember that everything is always exaggerated on SDN. There are a lot of bitter people on this forum so you gotta learn to take everything with a grain of salt.
I didn't think that Drexel had THAT bad of a reputation. As someone who lives in the area, I've never heard that it is terrible. Generally, it is regarded as a pretty good institution that maybe be a little "easier" (by medical school standards, of course) to get into than say Jefferson or Temple. I feel that a lot of people in the area respect it, but maybe that is just the sentiment here in South Jersey. Preferences are preferences however, so if you interview there and don't like it, it is up to you to decide what to do.
Listen. Just keep in mind that SDN was saying the same stuff about Drexel in 2002 when it was MCP Hahneman, the same when I was a student there and the same stuff when myself and about twenty of my colleagues matched into orthopaedics.
In spite of the stuff said here that makes Drexel sound like one of the offshore schools, they still somehow manage to graduate physicians every year who can walk and chew gum at the same time.
According to MSARS
386/1299 IS and 755/13044 OOS got interviews
OMG, less than 6%? Is it even worth that I applied as an OOS at this point? lol Haven't heard back yet
...they still somehow manage to graduate physicians every year who can walk and chew gum at the same time.
the key to getting a great residency program
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
OMG, less than 6%? Is it even worth that I applied as an OOS at this point? lol Haven't heard back yet
Half of my class is OOS. Majority are from California.
SHUT UP, JERRY!!!II today! OOS, LizzyM 69, complete 7/28
P.S. Congratulations! 🙂
Congrats! Which dates were available if you dont mind me askingII today! OOS, LizzyM 69, complete 7/28
Yeah I think Drexel is more OOS friendly. I'm from New York, which is one of the more heavily represented states.
When I went there, there were more students from California than Pennsylvania.
When I went there, there were more students from California than Pennsylvania.
got tossed on hold, hopefully hear something good later on!
got tossed on hold, hopefully hear something good later on!
When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?
When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?
7/11
Samegot tossed on hold, hopefully hear something good later on!
did you get an email update?Same
I wonder if the hold status is pretty much a rejection at this point, Im too lazy to look through last years thread
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hold as well. Got put on hold last year too but rejected later.
Right now interview days look like Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 2 sessions per day for the first two weeks in DecemberCongrats! Which dates were available if you dont mind me asking
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I called admissions regarding silence since I sent my primary and I got a secondary just hours later. But at this point in the cycle, is it too late to send secondary? Would I just be wasting $100?
So I called admissions regarding silence since I sent my primary and I got a secondary just hours later. But at this point in the cycle, is it too late to send secondary? Would I just be wasting $100?
I'm sorry that sounds rough. You probably should have emailed them a long time ago about receiving a secondary since they send them to every applicant. At this point it is pretty late in the application cycle to submit. But if you have the extra cash and have high stats you might still be okay.
I'm sorry that sounds rough. You probably should have emailed them a long time ago about receiving a secondary since they send them to every applicant. At this point it is pretty late in the application cycle to submit. But if you have the extra cash and have high stats you might still be okay.
Thank you for being honest with me. I had my essays pre-written so I could submit within 5 min. But with LizzyM of 66, it's probably not a good idea.... right?
Thank you for being honest with me. I had my essays pre-written so I could submit within 5 min. But with LizzyM of 66, it's probably not a good idea.... right?
Again if you have the money and you feel like you fit the mission of the school then go for it. I probably would if I were you the average LizzyM score for accepted applicants it around a 68, yours is not to far off, but again I don't really know the rest of your app. Also, I am only another lowly applicant trying to get into medical school as well so take my advice with a grain of salt.
I say go for it and apply. If you don't, you will end up regretting it later. $100 is a small price to pay for a chance to go to medical school.Thank you for being honest with me. I had my essays pre-written so I could submit within 5 min. But with LizzyM of 66, it's probably not a good idea.... right?
You're right, Ms. Pediatrician. Thank you!I say go for it and apply. If you don't, you will end up regretting it later. $100 is a small price to pay for a chance to go to medical school.
Again if you have the money and you feel like you fit the mission of the school then go for it. I probably would if I were you the average lizzym score for accepted applicants it around a 68, yours is not to far off, but again I don't really know the rest of your app. Also, I am only another lowly applicant trying to get into medical school as well so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Thank you for your help! I appreciate it 🙂
Thank you for your help! I appreciate it 🙂
Happy to help and wish you the best this application cycle!
any decisions today?
Yeah a good ol' rejection at 9am! Onto the next! Good luck y'all!any decisions today?
pre II or post II?Yeah a good ol' rejection at 9am! Onto the next! Good luck y'all!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre-II, so not super surprising. Still hurts the ego a little bit..pre II or post II?
Stats and complete date?Pre-II, so not super surprising. Still hurts the ego a little bit..
any decisions today?
Last year people started to hear back the beginning of November. I wish we would hear back today but it is unlikely.
sGPA: 3.97, mediocre MCAT, non-URM, complete 7/14Stats and complete date?
+1Yeah a good ol' rejection at 9am! Onto the next! Good luck y'all!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K