2017-2018 Drexel University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Re: Drexel's Reputation.
We're constantly getting put down. Not just on SDN but in real life too. Doesn't matter if its Med school, Grad school, or Undergrad. Its the unfortunate side effect of being right by UPenn, Jefferson, and Temple. Specifically about the medical school the main criticisms were listed before, but I'll add these factors:

1. Jefferson students "drink the kool-aid" when it comes to their medical school (their own words not mine). Jefferson does a wonderful job of hyping up their students about the school from the moment you go to an open house til you graduate. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does make these students tend to look down their nose at Drexel students. (Personally seen this happen to my roommate by multiple Jefferson students).

2. Roommate is an MS1 right now and gave me the statistic of (by the time this class graduates) 1 in 8 physicians will have been a Drexel graduate. Not sure how true this statistic is, but if thats the commonly accepted pseudo-fact, makes it sound like just anyone can get a Drexel medical school degree, which isn't true, but doesn't help with their rep.

3. Drexel is very forgiving/accepting when it comes to their admissions process which is viewed by some as building a weaker student body. Super-friendly to non-trads who reinvent themselves, provide post-bacc's and SMP's with interview cut-off's (direct linkage for URM's) which is great for students who may just need a little bit of time to prove themselves, but also adds to the "you're not as strong an applicant as I was" mentality.

4. God forbid you meet a UPenn med student. Seriously some of them are downright nasty. Anyone can feel free to refute me, this is just my opinion having met a few, but n=1 and all that.

5. Temple and Jefferson have more visibility in the community when it comes to research, design programs, outreach, service etc. Drexel has the same programs in place and practically the same amount of impact, but I cannot figure out why they aren't as recognized. I'm lost on this one.

I will say that point 3 is becoming moot as lately the trend in any medical school is shifting so that "non-trad" students are becoming more the "traditional" students, but with the mentality the way it is right now, it unfortunately doesn't help Drexel's rep.

Reactions: 6 users
Is anyone else interviewing on Monday October 23rd and would like to split a hotel room for the night of October 22nd? The cost would be about $60 a person if we split it. (preferably a woman) Please respond here or PM me!

Just cancelled my interview and withdrew my app. I hope one of you gets to take my interview date!

Reactions: 7 users
II!! GPA 3.96 MCAT 512 Not URM, OOS Complete late july. Spots begin in December.

Reactions: 5 users
Just found an acceptance in my spam folder! Interviewed in mid-september

Reactions: 11 users
hoping for good news this week. Commenting to subscribe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post interview. The email just said that they will defer my application to a future meeting.

Reactions: 1 user
images

ETA: Scratch that, this goes for everyone on this thread thats jumping down people's throats for stats and such.

Did anyone that interviewed on 9/20 hear anything yet?

Rejected. LizzyM 67. OOS, but strong ties to the Philly area. Submitted 8/28.

Deferred... Damn. :(
You have a pretty high LizzyM score compared to the rest of their applicant pool, and that is why Drexel probably thinks of you as a candidate that will ultimately go to a higher ranked school. I am sure you have nothing to worry about. Best Wishes.

Just got accepted!

Just got Accepted! Email sent this afternoon. (LizzyM 73, ORM)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
on my application says " Your application is ready" I've been complete since 7/16 anyone else in the same boat

Reactions: 4 users
on my application says " Your application is ready" I've been complete since 7/16 anyone else in the same boat

Not exactly the same boat, I did better, getting recruited from Lyft. Otherwise, hearing nothing from med schools.

ACCEPTED This morning! Interviewed mid-September. LM 70-71 non URM, Traditional applicant. OOS

Reactions: 5 users
Just got deferred post-interview right now. No rejections yet from any schools but this is like my third deferred lol does this mean something is just off in my application?

From what I've seen historically, DUCOM has decent WL movement. Check MSAR since I think they give stats on this.

From what I've seen historically, DUCOM has decent WL movement. Check MSAR since I think they give stats on this.

They said being defered is not the same as the waitless. My email says they will still review my application through out the cycle. Im not sure if this is new to this cycle or not.

Hey so I just got accepted via portal. Did not get an email. Might be a good idea to check.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to those accepted. I think us late-September folks have another week (hopefully not more!) of waiting.

Anyone interview early-ish September and not hear back yet?

Edit: nvm, just got Accepted :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Im interviewing on Tuesday, is anyone willing to pm me how the day went and advice? Congrats to everyone accepted!

Im interviewing on Tuesday, is anyone willing to pm me how the day went and advice? Congrats to everyone accepted!
I would be more than happy to tell you about my interview experience. Shoot me a message!

accepted around 10am this morning!!! This is my first acceptance so I'm really excited! I interviewed on 9-25-17. 3.7 cGPA 517

accepted around 10am this morning!!! This is my first acceptance so I'm really excited! I interviewed on 9-25-17. 3.7 cGPA 517
Congrats!! I got the acceptance email at the same exact time!

Reactions: 2 users