2017-2018 Duke University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They didn't ask anything where you'd have to have knowledge of like... healthcare policy, right? That was my biggest concern for my last MMI but pretty much the questions didn't require prior knowledge

Also, what makes Duke your #1 over other schools? What do you think of their third year?

I am not allowed to disclose too much info about the MMI but just show that you are a decent humanistic person. I applied specifically to the PCLT program because I am committed to Primary care and third year seems great. I like the curriculum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who have interviewed, does your MD Session # in the portal indicate whether your MMI is morning or afternoon (with 1 being morning and 2 being afternoon, or vice versa?) The email I have from them says that the portal "indicates which session you are scheduled to participate. Please check there for further details about the timing of your MMI" but all I see is my session number. Did you find info anywhere else (other than the emails) about the MMI? Also for anyone interviewing soon, there is a whole check-in thing on the portal that I did not get an email about.
 
For those who have interviewed, does your MD Session # in the portal indicate whether your MMI is morning or afternoon (with 1 being morning and 2 being afternoon, or vice versa?) The email I have from them says that the portal "indicates which session you are scheduled to participate. Please check there for further details about the timing of your MMI" but all I see is my session number. Did you find info anywhere else (other than the emails) about the MMI? Also for anyone interviewing soon, there is a whole check-in thing on the portal that I did not get an email about.

Yes it does. Mine said session 2 and I interviewed in the afternoon.
 
Agreed, just added this one. Is it too late to submit the secondary and gain traction at this school? Below their avg GPA, above their avg MCAT, ORM.

I'd add it. I can't say that I've gotten any love from them, yet, but I think it's a good option for people with odd stats.
 
I'd add it. I can't say that I've gotten any love from them, yet, but I think it's a good option for people with odd stats.
Thanks!! All these great schools have like 3.9 medians haha 😵

TBH I'm actually looking forward to these essays
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People who interviewed: did you have an issue with the portal crashing when you tried to submit the survey?

I thought it was just me! Yes, I had problems submitting the post-interview survey. Haven't been able to submit mine yet because of this. Sad because I typed out both positive/ constructive info :'(
 
Hey, checking in! I don't have an II, but I'm thinking about interview scheduling for schools that are far away from me (Duke included!)

Are there any interview dates available before October 23rd?
 
Hey, checking in! I don't have an II, but I'm thinking about interview scheduling for schools that are far away from me (Duke included!)

Are there any interview dates available before October 23rd?
Oct 5 was the only one I saw a few weeks ago but they may have filled up
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey All,

I normally hate these questions, but I could not find any info on Dukes website about this topic. Does Duke have rolling admissions? I've been putting this secondary off because of its length, but really want to finish it and submit it by the end of next week. My LizzyM is ~68, so this is definitely a reach school, but I have a significant personal medical history that I am hoping will appeal to Duke during their holistic review process. Is it too late to apply?

Any advice would be appreciated!
 
Hey All,

I normally hate these questions, but I could not find any info on Dukes website about this topic. Does Duke have rolling admissions? I've been putting this secondary off because of its length, but really want to finish it and submit it by the end of next week. My LizzyM is ~68, so this is definitely a reach school, but I have a significant personal medical history that I am hoping will appeal to Duke during their holistic review process. Is it too late to apply?

Any advice would be appreciated!
They're not rolling; decisions come in March. Submit that secondary!
 
For people who have received II's here:
First off, Congrats!!
Second, Did you actually use all 600 words for their prompts?
 
For people who have received II's here:
First off, Congrats!!
Second, Did you actually use all 600 words for their prompts?
I was close on a couple of them but for the others I had around 100 words left. I think mostly they're just giving ample space to let you paint a really full picture of yourself.
 
Any current Duke student who got in after submitting their secondary in October...?
Finally finished with this beast, but oh wait, it's October.
 
I took the MMI yesterday and I thought that they had a mix. Some were laid back while in some others they grilled me pretty hard to throw me off my game. Just keep your cool and you will do fine. BTW Duke overall was amazing. I fell in love and it is definitely my top choice.
Were you allowed pencil and paper to take notes on the scenarios before entering the rooms?
 
Were you allowed pencil and paper to take notes on the scenarios before entering the rooms?

TBH the MMI went in such a blur that all I remember is just reading the prompt and winging it. I was too focused on myself and my own strategy. I remember someone asking about it but I tuned out because I knew I wasn't going to take any notes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone else think the essay "Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you.
You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated."

should have been included in the initial first post?

This is required, no?

Also, what if you haven't taken a psychology or sociology course yet?
 
Does anyone else think the essay "Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you.
You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated."

should have been included in the initial first post?

This is required, no?

Also, what if you haven't taken a psychology or sociology course yet?

I called the office to ask about the psych/soc thing, since I don’t have a sociology course. They said that no courses are required and they may use the P/S subscore on your MCAT to evaluate that
 
I called the office to ask about the psych/soc thing, since I don’t have a sociology course. They said that no courses are required and they may use the P/S subscore on your MCAT to evaluate that

So I'm assuming the Academic Coursework part, where they import all of your AMCAS courses for your to designate which category they fall under is truly optional?
 
So I'm assuming the Academic Coursework part, where they import all of your AMCAS courses for your to designate which category they fall under is truly optional?

Yeah fill it out to the best of your ability. For sociology on mine I wrote “social psychology” which I took in college but it would’ve been fine to leave it blank