-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 George Washington University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
yea I wonder how they decide who goes on the waitlist and post-interviews hold off lists at around this time, assuming this coming week will be the first week we will see any waitlist movementI think they want ~180 in the class, so even if all 160 in the fb group were accepted students (which it isn’t), that’s at least 20 more acceptances to go out. I wonder if they will give out more post-interview acceptances or go straight to the WL from here.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well we also can’t assume that everyone who is accepted has Facebook either hahah
Or that everyone in the facebook group will enroll at GW
Any chance that any of those remaining spots belong to pipeline or guaranteed admissions programs?Wonder how many of us are on the waitlist...fighting for those 10-20 spots! Assuming all of those 160 accepted students decide to go to GWU
I know GW has like 30 seats given to various programs like that
Or that everyone in the facebook group will enroll at GW[/QUOTE
I heard that too but i would thibk the admissions would’ve taken care of that in the beginning of the cycle... but not sure
Any chance that any of those remaining spots belong to pipeline or guaranteed admissions programs?
I know GW has like 30 seats given to various programs like that
I'm part of one of those groups. We're already in the Facebook Group and have been given our official acceptances etc a while ago
Im pretty sure traffic rules say all the schools have to have their classes full by April 30. Like they have to have accepted a full class by then. Then it will shuffle.I'm part of one of those groups. We're already in the Facebook Group and have been given our official acceptances etc a while ago
Honestly I have no idea about that bc I didn't go through the normal admissions process and have had a "guaranteed" seat for a few years.Im pretty sure traffic rules say all the schools have to have their classes full by April 30. Like they have to have accepted a full class by then. Then it will shuffle.
It has nothing to do with you, I’m just saying that everyone wondering how many ppl are accepted and stuff I’m saying regardless, GW should have accepted enough by April 30.. I believe soHonestly I have no idea about that bc I didn't go through the normal admissions process and have had a "guaranteed" seat for a few years.
Im pretty sure traffic rules say all the schools have to have their classes full by April 30. Like they have to have accepted a full class by then. Then it will shuffle.
I don't think that's in the actual traffic rules. April 30th is just the day that accepted students must drop all but one acceptance. That is why there is normally wait-list movement around that day. People dropping their acceptances and also people getting accepted from wait lists at higher ranked schools.It has nothing to do with you, I’m just saying that everyone wondering how many ppl are accepted and stuff I’m saying regardless, GW should have accepted enough by April 30.. I believe so
By necessity, that will most likely mean that many schools will not have a completely full class by precisely April 30th.
The only recommendation on number of people accepted is this one:
"4. By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."
The AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers
Definitely staying hopeful! but it’s hard to ignore the immense number of other people on GWs alternate listFellow alternates! Hoping for some good news this week! Anyone staying hopeful?
how many others are on it?Definitely staying hopeful! but it’s hard to ignore the immense number of other people on GWs alternate list
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well they barely give post-interview rejections which means the waitlist has a few hundred people on it probablyhow many others are on it?
Oh dang. I wish I knew how many were taken off in past years on average.Well they barely give post-interview rejections which means the waitlist has a few hundred people on it probably
Fellow alternates! Hoping for some good news this week! Anyone staying hopeful?
I'm also staying hopeful to the best of my ability but agreed that there are so many people on the list I'm not sure that I should expect much. I have heard there is good movement and have just been staying on top of the portal with updates, etc.
Yea! Best of luck to everyone! Hope there’s a lot of movement!I'm also staying hopeful to the best of my ability but agreed that there are so many people on the list I'm not sure that I should expect much. I have heard there is good movement and have just been staying on top of the portal with updates, etc.
If they start the same time as last year, tomorrow could be the first day of wait-list movement - keeping my fingers crossed.
Just withdrew. Good luck to everyone else 🙂
Withdrawing from acceptance? Or waitlist?Just withdrew. Good luck to everyone else 🙂
Acceptance.Withdrawing from acceptance? Or waitlist?
I am considering applying here next year, but have Lizzy M of ~67 but solid ECs, worth it acc to you guys who went through the process at this school?
D
deleted861177
Yes, worth it. What you learn through this process is that GPA and MCAT are sort of the first screen for applicants, but does not play a huge role beyond that -- it just becomes part of your holistic review as an applicant along with your letters, experiences, and essays. If you have a upward/downward trend for your stats, that's also part of the review if it's concerning or impressive. If you are within the 25th-75th percentile for their avg/median GPA and MCAT, it's worth a shot. Especially if you're interested in the school, I'd say go for it because you never know. My advice is to write your secondary essays very specific to GW and use any connections you have to DC well because they get so many applications each year.I am considering applying here next year, but have Lizzy M of ~67 but solid ECs, worth it acc to you guys who went through the process at this school?
Does anybody know what day orientation is for this school? On the waitlist and planning a vacation at the very end of July. I want to make sure I don't plan my stay overlapping orientation just in case.
My LizzyM was only around 65 (with excellent work and research experience, letters, shadowing, etc.) and I was accepted in Nov. I will say though that my specific future plans/goals are an excellent fit for GW's program and curriculum, which is why I finally decided on this school instead of a couple others. I would look at the school's mission, specific curriculum details, and other things like that to help you decide whether or not you want to apply. They have a very detailed website with a ton of information.I am considering applying here next year, but have Lizzy M of ~67 but solid ECs, worth it acc to you guys who went through the process at this school?
Declined my spot in the class this morning! Good luck to everyone continuing on at GWU and everyone still waiting for that admit offer! It's coming soon!!!!!!
Happy Traffic Day y'all
Happy Traffic Day y'all
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Called the office today and they said that some WL movement has already begun, no other comments or details regarding how much
EDIT: Given the silence on this thread I'm assuming the big waves haven't happened yet?
Let’s hope not
Yea I hope not also. Sending in updates hopefully that helps? I've been reiterating interest periodically.
Let’s hope not
Just withdrew my acceptance from here. This was definitely the hardest decision as GWU was easily tied for my top choice of my final two schools. Ultimately I went with my other option and I’m happy that one of you deserving individuals will take my spot. Best of luck with the movement, y’all got this 🙂.
D
deleted861177
GW was one of my top two schools. Definitely one of the hardest decisions of my life, but ultimately withdrew from GW, along with a nice tuition scholarship. Hopefully it goes to someone else who deserves it!
Wow that’s great! Did you get a call?Just wanting to share that I was accepted today after being an alternate since March! First acceptance!!!!
Did your portal change at all? I’m paranoid my email doesn’t work lol so I keep checking my portalJust wanting to share that I was accepted today after being an alternate since March! First acceptance!!!!
Just wanting to share that I was accepted today after being an alternate since March! First acceptance!!!!
Congrats!!! When did you interview?
Looking at old threads, it seems like people who were waitlisted/interviewed earlier were accepted vs those who interviewed in the spring and were waitlisted.... just speculation though.
I was accepted today off the waitlist today, too! I interviewed in december and waitlisted in feb. and it was through email that they let me know!
Wow that’s great! Did you get a call?
Did your portal change at all? I’m paranoid my email doesn’t work lol so I keep checking my portal
Congrats!!! When did you interview?
Looking at old threads, it seems like people who were waitlisted/interviewed earlier were accepted vs those who interviewed in the spring and were waitlisted.... just speculation though.
It was through email from the dean of admissions. My portal did change saying that correspondence was sent to my email. Interviewed January 5 and alternate status on February 23 (sorry, thought it had been since March!)
Hey guys is there a facebook group? I was accepted off the alternate list via phone call today !!
Also can anyone give suggestions for housing?
I was accepted yesterday too and i looked up the fb page and requested to join, but I haven't been accepted yet.
also looking for housing suggestions!
Congratulations to you and everyone else! I think we interviewed around the same time (January), so great job! Can I ask if you called the office/updated the portal at all?Just wanting to share that I was accepted today after being an alternate since March! First acceptance!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to you and everyone else! I think we interviewed around the same time (January), so great job! Can I ask if you called the office/updated the portal at all?
I only updated the portal once when they asked for the statement of intent and at that time I sent in a one page update.
LM = 68for those of you accepted off the alternate list, what is your LM?
Does anyone know what the waitlist movement here has been like historically after traffic day?
Just now?? Congratulations!!Accepted via phone call and then email!! I'm so excited to be part of the incoming class!! Interviewed in late Jan