2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Darn, thanks for the heads up though. Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wonder how many of us are on the waitlist...fighting for those 10-20 spots! Assuming all of those 160 accepted students decide to go to GWU

Reactions: 1 users
I think they want ~180 in the class, so even if all 160 in the fb group were accepted students (which it isn’t), that’s at least 20 more acceptances to go out. I wonder if they will give out more post-interview acceptances or go straight to the WL from here.
yea I wonder how they decide who goes on the waitlist and post-interviews hold off lists at around this time, assuming this coming week will be the first week we will see any waitlist movement

Members don't see this ad :)
Well we also can’t assume that everyone who is accepted has Facebook either hahah

Wonder how many of us are on the waitlist...fighting for those 10-20 spots! Assuming all of those 160 accepted students decide to go to GWU
Any chance that any of those remaining spots belong to pipeline or guaranteed admissions programs?

I know GW has like 30 seats given to various programs like that

Or that everyone in the facebook group will enroll at GW[/QUOTE

I heard that too but i would thibk the admissions would’ve taken care of that in the beginning of the cycle... but not sure

Any chance that any of those remaining spots belong to pipeline or guaranteed admissions programs?

I know GW has like 30 seats given to various programs like that

I'm part of one of those groups. We're already in the Facebook Group and have been given our official acceptances etc a while ago

I'm part of one of those groups. We're already in the Facebook Group and have been given our official acceptances etc a while ago
Im pretty sure traffic rules say all the schools have to have their classes full by April 30. Like they have to have accepted a full class by then. Then it will shuffle.

Im pretty sure traffic rules say all the schools have to have their classes full by April 30. Like they have to have accepted a full class by then. Then it will shuffle.
Honestly I have no idea about that bc I didn't go through the normal admissions process and have had a "guaranteed" seat for a few years.

Honestly I have no idea about that bc I didn't go through the normal admissions process and have had a "guaranteed" seat for a few years.
It has nothing to do with you, I’m just saying that everyone wondering how many ppl are accepted and stuff I’m saying regardless, GW should have accepted enough by April 30.. I believe so

It has nothing to do with you, I’m just saying that everyone wondering how many ppl are accepted and stuff I’m saying regardless, GW should have accepted enough by April 30.. I believe so
I don't think that's in the actual traffic rules. April 30th is just the day that accepted students must drop all but one acceptance. That is why there is normally wait-list movement around that day. People dropping their acceptances and also people getting accepted from wait lists at higher ranked schools.
By necessity, that will most likely mean that many schools will not have a completely full class by precisely April 30th.

The only recommendation on number of people accepted is this one:

"4. By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."

The AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers

Fellow alternates! Hoping for some good news this week! Anyone staying hopeful?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow alternates! Hoping for some good news this week! Anyone staying hopeful?

I'm also staying hopeful to the best of my ability but agreed that there are so many people on the list I'm not sure that I should expect much. I have heard there is good movement and have just been staying on top of the portal with updates, etc.

I'm also staying hopeful to the best of my ability but agreed that there are so many people on the list I'm not sure that I should expect much. I have heard there is good movement and have just been staying on top of the portal with updates, etc.
Yea! Best of luck to everyone! Hope there’s a lot of movement!

If they start the same time as last year, tomorrow could be the first day of wait-list movement - keeping my fingers crossed.

I am considering applying here next year, but have Lizzy M of ~67 but solid ECs, worth it acc to you guys who went through the process at this school?

I am considering applying here next year, but have Lizzy M of ~67 but solid ECs, worth it acc to you guys who went through the process at this school?
Yes, worth it. What you learn through this process is that GPA and MCAT are sort of the first screen for applicants, but does not play a huge role beyond that -- it just becomes part of your holistic review as an applicant along with your letters, experiences, and essays. If you have a upward/downward trend for your stats, that's also part of the review if it's concerning or impressive. If you are within the 25th-75th percentile for their avg/median GPA and MCAT, it's worth a shot. Especially if you're interested in the school, I'd say go for it because you never know. My advice is to write your secondary essays very specific to GW and use any connections you have to DC well because they get so many applications each year.

Does anybody know what day orientation is for this school? On the waitlist and planning a vacation at the very end of July. I want to make sure I don't plan my stay overlapping orientation just in case.

My LizzyM was only around 65 (with excellent work and research experience, letters, shadowing, etc.) and I was accepted in Nov. I will say though that my specific future plans/goals are an excellent fit for GW's program and curriculum, which is why I finally decided on this school instead of a couple others. I would look at the school's mission, specific curriculum details, and other things like that to help you decide whether or not you want to apply. They have a very detailed website with a ton of information.

Declined my spot in the class this morning! Good luck to everyone continuing on at GWU and everyone still waiting for that admit offer! It's coming soon!!!!!!

Happy Traffic Day y'all

Reactions: 9 users
Declined my offer just now! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
Called the office today and they said that some WL movement has already begun, no other comments or details regarding how much

EDIT: Given the silence on this thread I'm assuming the big waves haven't happened yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Called the office today and they said that some WL movement has already begun, no other comments or details regarding how much

EDIT: Given the silence on this thread I'm assuming the big waves haven't happened yet?

Let’s hope not

Just withdrew my acceptance from here. This was definitely the hardest decision as GWU was easily tied for my top choice of my final two schools. Ultimately I went with my other option and I’m happy that one of you deserving individuals will take my spot. Best of luck with the movement, y’all got this :).

Reactions: 6 users
GW was one of my top two schools. Definitely one of the hardest decisions of my life, but ultimately withdrew from GW, along with a nice tuition scholarship. Hopefully it goes to someone else who deserves it!

Reactions: 5 users
Just wanting to share that I was accepted today after being an alternate since March! First acceptance!!!!

Reactions: 15 users
Just wanting to share that I was accepted today after being an alternate since March! First acceptance!!!!

Congrats!!! When did you interview?

Looking at old threads, it seems like people who were waitlisted/interviewed earlier were accepted vs those who interviewed in the spring and were waitlisted.... just speculation though.

I was accepted today off the waitlist today, too! I interviewed in december and waitlisted in feb. and it was through email that they let me know!

Reactions: 7 users
Wow that’s great! Did you get a call?

Did your portal change at all? I’m paranoid my email doesn’t work lol so I keep checking my portal

Congrats!!! When did you interview?

Looking at old threads, it seems like people who were waitlisted/interviewed earlier were accepted vs those who interviewed in the spring and were waitlisted.... just speculation though.

It was through email from the dean of admissions. My portal did change saying that correspondence was sent to my email. Interviewed January 5 and alternate status on February 23 (sorry, thought it had been since March!)

Hey guys is there a facebook group? I was accepted off the alternate list via phone call today !!

Also can anyone give suggestions for housing?

Last edited:
Hey guys is there a facebook group? I was accepted off the alternate list via phone call today !!

Also can anyone give suggestions for housing?

I was accepted yesterday too and i looked up the fb page and requested to join, but I haven't been accepted yet.

also looking for housing suggestions!

for those of you accepted off the alternate list, what is your LM?

Congratulations to you and everyone else! I think we interviewed around the same time (January), so great job! Can I ask if you called the office/updated the portal at all?

Congratulations to you and everyone else! I think we interviewed around the same time (January), so great job! Can I ask if you called the office/updated the portal at all?

I only updated the portal once when they asked for the statement of intent and at that time I sent in a one page update.

Does anyone know what the waitlist movement here has been like historically after traffic day?

Accepted via phone call and then email!! I'm so excited to be part of the incoming class!! Interviewed in late Jan

Reactions: 3 users