2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Remember everyone, GW pulls a good amount off the alternate list! I know a good amount of people in my class that got pulled off. They don't really pull people off it till late may/early June, so it'll be a wait. It seemed like last year, all the later interviews became alternates because they wanted to be more specific with how they wanted the class to look. Good luck!

Thanks for the hope!

Interviewed 11/10 and wait listed back in January. Definitely hoping to get of this wait-list. Would love to go to GW SOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Also placed on alternate list today, interviewed second week of March

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the hope!

Interviewed 11/10 and wait listed back in January. Definitely hoping to get of this wait-list. Would love to go to GW SOM.

Is there preference for when you were placed on the waitlist? I heard there is no number but not sure...

It is an unranked wait-list

But that term is miss-leading. There is still an order on the wait-list. Its not as if they just pick someone randomly from the wait list. The difference between an unranked wait list and a ranked wait-list is that post-interview updates actually have more of a chance to influence your chances of selection.

Reactions: 2 users
from the last year's thread, it seemed like people who interviewed before Jan got off the alternate list...wonder if they just go in order....

from the last year's thread, it seemed like people who interviewed before Jan got off the alternate list...wonder if they just go in order....
Yeah, that's what I noticed too. Why did they even bother interviewing people in March if they were just going to waitlist us... I haven't seen any March interviews report an acceptance yet...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's what I noticed too. Why did they even bother interviewing people in March if they were just going to waitlist us... I haven't seen any March interviews report an acceptance yet...
agreed...i guess anyone after Jan is back-up of the backups....

Have any of the accepted students still stalking this page heard anything about scholarships yet? (not financial aid)
I only just got my financial aid package. It has a need based scholarship in it, but I don't think any other kind of scholarships have gone out.

I only just got my financial aid package. It has a need based scholarship in it, but I don't think any other kind of scholarships have gone out.
Yeah I got a small amount of need based aid, but that's not the same as a scholarship. Someone earlier in the thread posted that they got a scholarship a few weeks after they got their financial aid package. I got my financial aid package like 2+ weeks ago so I'm hoping to hear something soon....

How often are folks updating GW for those who are on the waitlist? If I haven't had any new experiences to add in the last month since I updated them last, any other things that people would recommend updating with?

How often are folks updating GW for those who are on the waitlist? If I haven't had any new experiences to add in the last month since I updated them last, any other things that people would recommend updating with?
I would probably just wait until spring grades come out

Just withdrew from the alternate list. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
But what if spring grades don't come out until mid May?
If you have substantial new updates I would send them in now, but the OP said "I haven't had any new experiences to add in the last month since I updated them last".... in which case there's not much to update except for spring grades. I guess an interest letter couldn't hurt.

For those on the waitlist, has anyone talked to Kevin Nies about expressing interest in GW?

Edit: added a very important word

Last edited:
For those on the waitlist, has anyone talked to Kevin Nies about expressing interest in GW?

I'm on the waitlist and curious what you mean: calling/emailing him? Is there a specific reason why reach out to him vs. Dean McQuail?

Does anyone know GW's Step 1 and Step 2 averages from 2017?

does anyone know how many people are accepted so far? maybe from the accepted students facebook page?

Some people did that according to last years thread. It can work real well to answer questions about the waitlist process and possibly show your interest. Last year they invited us to contact them during the waitlist panel, but I'm not sure what they might of said this year.

Does anyone know GW's Step 1 and Step 2 averages from 2017?

I remember reading somewhere that it was around 230 for step 1 in 2016. Can't imagine it changes too much every year.

Some people did that according to last years thread. It can work real well to answer questions about the waitlist process and possibly show your interest. Last year they invited us to contact them during the waitlist panel, but I'm not sure what they might of said this year.

I remember reading somewhere that it was around 230 for step 1 in 2016. Can't imagine it changes too much every year.
He did mention to respect boundaries at this time

Thank god for your response. I got my financial aid package today and saw that I only got loans and $0 in scholarships/grants.... Was two seconds from just outright withdrawing my acceptance cause of that lovely $84k estimated COA
Can now confirm that merit scholarships come in a separate notification from financial aid package :) You get an e-mail w/ a letter.
Need-based scholarships though are included in the package according to financial aid office.

He did mention to respect boundaries at this time

Hello! just curious as to how/when/where you heard him saying this? I've only gotten one email since the alt list thing, and would love any extra info. thank you thank you!

From looking at last year's thread, people on SDN reported wait list movement on

Apr 27th 28th
May 2nd, 24th, 31st
June 18th

My guess would be we would hear around similar times.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an MS1 at GW and would first like to congratulate all those who have been accepted! To all those who are still waiting, best of luck and try not to let the anxiety eat you away (you'll have plenty of time for that in med school).

If you have any questions about GW PM me or comment here. I'd love to help anybody who is deciding between GW and another school!

I'm an MS1 at GW and would first like to congratulate all those who have been accepted! To all those who are still waiting, best of luck and try not to let the anxiety eat you away (you'll have plenty of time for that in med school).

If you have any questions about GW PM me or comment here. I'd love to help anybody who is deciding between GW and another school!
Congratulations and Thank you for opening up to answer some questions! Was wondering how many people are in the accepted students facebook page and how many you think showed up for the second look day if you went? Thanks!

Last edited:
Congratulations and Thank you for opening up to answer some questions! Was wondering how many people are in the accepted students facebook page and how many you think showed up for the second look day if you went? Thanks!
Hey, I'm not on the accepted students page but if you're wondering that to get a sense of how many people have been accepted this cycle I can let you know that logic doesn't work for GW. GW has several 4+4 programs (and a 3+4 program) with other schools so we have about 30 students who did not go through the app cycle. The FB page also has a few MS2s on it so that may skew your assessment if you're looking for really accurate numbers. However, if you do find a figure of how many people have been accepted, I can let you know that my class (of 2021) had 183 students, 7 of whom were repeating their first year (so they don't really count) and ~30 were from the programs described above.

I also didn't attend second look so I don't know how many people went. I know they posted some pics of second look on the FB page if you want to try to figure it out based on those.

Happy to answer any more questions you may have! :)

Hey, I'm not on the accepted students page but if you're wondering that to get a sense of how many people have been accepted this cycle I can let you know that logic doesn't work for GW. GW has several 4+4 programs (and a 3+4 program) with other schools so we have about 30 students who did not go through the app cycle. The FB page also has a few MS2s on it so that may skew your assessment if you're looking for really accurate numbers. However, if you do find a figure of how many people have been accepted, I can let you know that my class (of 2021) had 183 students, 7 of whom were repeating their first year (so they don't really count) and ~30 were from the programs described above.

I also didn't attend second look so I don't know how many people went. I know they posted some pics of second look on the FB page if you want to try to figure it out based on those.

Happy to answer any more questions you may have! :)
Thanks for the detailed reply! Much appreciated! I’m on the alternate list and interview end of February. Was curious how many students were accepted off the alternate list last year..trying to see if I should expect anything from GWU!

Finally got that pre-II rejection after being in re-review since July 2017, yikes. Time to unwatch this thread; good luck to everyone else! :)

not that I know of! I hear the last few days in April will be when they will start calling waitlisted people back?
Does showing consistent interest help with that? I've been trying to update them frequently: i.e. recent publication/presentations, job offers, Letter of intent to attend and additional letters of interest, additional LOR, etc.

omg I got in!! it's been a long and grueling road. omg, for those still waiting, hang in there... this process has been soul-sucking but positive vibes beget positive results!

Reactions: 11 users
omg I got in!! it's been a long and grueling road. omg, for those still waiting, hang in there... this process has been soul-sucking but positive vibes beget positive results!
Amazing! Congrats! Hope this grueling waiting game ends soon for the rest of us too! Was wondering if you got a chance to see how many students are currently registered to the accepted students Facebook page? Would be helpful to know or maybe it’ll only make me anxious!

Amazing! Congrats! Hope this grueling waiting game ends soon for the rest of us too! Was wondering if you got a chance to see how many students are currently registered to the accepted students Facebook page? Would be helpful to know or maybe it’ll only make me anxious!
160 are on the FB

I'm sure a good portion of those are current 1st and 2nd year students to help answer questions. Keeping my fingers crossed for that waitlist movement. I expect some movement to start towards the end of this coming week.

I'm sure a good portion of those are current 1st and 2nd year students to help answer questions. Keeping my fingers crossed for that waitlist movement. I expect some movement to start towards the end of this coming week.
I think they want ~180 in the class, so even if all 160 in the fb group were accepted students (which it isn’t), that’s at least 20 more acceptances to go out. I wonder if they will give out more post-interview acceptances or go straight to the WL from here.

I’m in the FB group. Just to give you a better picture, there is one admin who posts on other people’s behalf. The group is only for admitted students per the first post made by the admin.