2017-2018 Hofstra University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone interview mid Sept and still not hear anything yet? :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Is anyone else a little upset that we have not heard anything? They 100% told me during my interview that we would hear back before x-mas.

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else a little upset that we have not heard anything? They 100% told me during my interview that we would hear back before x-mas.
It's only 4:35, so have faith!

Same, although I vaguely recall that they said "acceptances" would go out mid-December, while "everyone" would get an update around mid-Jan. I'm really hoping this doesn't suggest an impending waitlist/rejection for the rest of us...

**the neuroticism intensifies**

Reactions: 1 users
I guess we’ll hear back after the break now

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone want to chime in as to when the interview day typically ends?

Mine was done at like 1:30

Mine was done around the same time. It took a while to get to the train station, but I had to go to the more distant station. I got there just before 2 pm

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is the office of admissions closed until after New Year’s or is it possible that we could get news this week?

Is the office of admissions closed until after New Year’s or is it possible that we could get news this week?
I was wondering the same thing. Some staff might stay on vacation, which should complicate decision making.

For those unable to see the Terms and Conditions, I contacted the admissions office and they told me to try to clear cookies and cache, which worked. Once you access the page, payment of the $100 deposit secures your spot in the class and is considered an acceptance of the terms and conditions.

If it matters, I used Chrome as my browser.

Worked for me as well! Thanks so much for the tip!

For those unable to see the Terms and Conditions, I contacted the admissions office and they told me to try to clear cookies and cache, which worked. Once you access the page, payment of the $100 deposit secures your spot in the class and is considered an acceptance of the terms and conditions.

If it matters, I used Chrome as my browser.

Did you receive a confirmation email after you paid your deposit? My payment is showing up on my payment history, but I didn't receive an email. It feels rather unofficial.

Did you receive a confirmation email after you paid your deposit? My payment is showing up on my payment history, but I didn't receive an email. It feels rather unofficial.
I received a confirmation email after I submitted mine

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

I also received a confirmation email. Have you checked your spam mail just in case?

Has any accepted students been able to access the supplemental application for institutional financial aid yet? If so please help

Has any accepted students been able to access the supplemental application for institutional financial aid yet? If so please help
I haven’t. I believe I read it would be emailed, but I haven’t received anything yet.

For those of you who used the Airtran and LIRR from JFK, where did you purchase the ticket(s) and how much did it cost roundtrip?
Making sure I don't pay more than I have to. First time using this system and the website is a tad bit confusing.

For those of you who used the Airtran and LIRR from JFK, where did you purchase the ticket(s) and how much did it cost roundtrip?
Making sure I don't pay more than I have to. First time using this system and the website is a tad bit confusing.

Tickets can be purchased at the Jamaica station. Note that you buy the Airtrain ticket AFTER you ride it, which is very confusing. So what you'll do is take the Airtrain to Jamaica, and when you get off, you'll have to buy a ticket to leave Jamaica Station. You can buy a combined ticket for Airtrain and Mineola or Hempstead (either of which you can take an Uber from to Hofstra, or the shuttle if you're arriving at a time the shuttle runs). If I remember correctly the Airtrain and Mineola ticket cost me $10.50 ONE WAY. Airtrain alone is $5 I think.

Edit: The terminals at Jamaica to buy a ticket are a bit confusing. Make sure you buy the right type of fare. You'll want a combined ticket with LIRR.

For anyone looking into traveling to Hofstra from LGA, I did some background research since most of the info provided is with regards to JFK. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something. Note: the uber cost and travel times are from searches I have done within the past hour, definitely may be subject to change.
  • Uber from LGA to Jamaica LIRR $11.19, ~30 min
  • Jamaica LIRR to Hempstead Station $5.75-$8, ~30 min
    • vs to Mineola Station $5.75-$8,
    • BUY at Station/TVM/eTix, NOT while on board!
  • Uber from Hempstead LIRR station to Hempstead/Garden City hotels $4, ~10 min
    • vs LIRR Mineola Station to Hempstead/Garden City Hotels
Returning to LGA, take shuttle to Hempstead station provided by Hofstra (as mentioned on interview page) back to Jamaica Station and you can uber back to LGA from there.

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone looking into traveling to Hofstra from LGA, I did some background research since most of the info provided is with regards to JFK. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something. Note: the uber cost and travel times are from searches I have done within the past hour, definitely may be subject to change.
  • Uber from LGA to Jamaica LIRR $11.19, ~30 min
  • Jamaica LIRR to Hempstead Station $5.75-$8, ~30 min
    • vs to Mineola Station $5.75-$8,
    • BUY at Station/TVM/eTix, NOT while on board!
  • Uber from Hempstead LIRR station to Hempstead/Garden City hotels $4, ~10 min
    • vs LIRR Mineola Station to Hempstead/Garden City Hotels
Returning to LGA, take shuttle to Hempstead station provided by Hofstra (as mentioned on interview page) back to Jamaica Station and you can uber back to LGA from there.

I did exactly this (Hempstead Station) but stayed at a different hotel and everything went smoothly.

Anybody know what people who did not hear anything in the first wave acceptances should be expecting? They said we'd hear something by mid-January, right?

Anybody know what people who did not hear anything in the first wave acceptances should be expecting? They said we'd hear something by mid-January, right?

Pretty sure if you were supposed to hear back in the first wave but didn’t, you will get waitlisted in the next week. That’s what happened last year anyway

For people who were accepted, did the email say something like "congratulations" right away or did it have an attachment? I'm trying to avoid having a heart attack when I get the inevitable wait list email LOL

For people who were accepted, did the email say something like "congratulations" right away or did it have an attachment? I'm trying to avoid having a heart attack when I get the inevitable wait list email LOL
The acceptance email was actually stress inducing in and of itself. The subject was Admissions Update and the body didn’t actually give you any kind of answer. You actually have to click into a PDF letter that they attach which lets you know if you’ve been acceptance. Good luck!

The acceptance email was actually stress inducing in and of itself. The subject was Admissions Update and the body didn’t actually give you any kind of answer. You actually have to click into a PDF letter that they attach which lets you know if you’ve been acceptance. Good luck!
Just thinking about this made my blood pressure shoot through the roof

Reactions: 6 users
Just curious, when were ya'll who interviewed in late Nov/December you'd hear back? I'm referring to the "admissions update" part of the "interview complete" email.

Just curious, when were ya'll who interviewed in late Nov/December you'd hear back? I'm referring to the "admissions update" part of the "interview complete" email.

It says this for me: Admissions updates will be sent out via email by mid-January and your portal content will be updated accordingly once your decision is issued.

It says this for me: Admissions updates will be sent out via email by mid-January and your portal content will be updated accordingly once your decision is issued.

Ah okay, thank you. Says the same for me as well.

nah my friend was accepted and he interviewed in December

nah my friend was accepted and he interviewed in December

Well they say "by mid Jan." I'm sure some people get accepted before then as well. Anyhow, fingers crossed that those of us who interviewed before mid-Jan will have our decisions at that point.